Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
peacelovepandas

How to pull off a hunky guy?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ime_poster.png
http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ad_Appears.png
I want to cosplay Sinbad from Magi with my friend as Ja'far. The thing is, as you can see from the second picture, he is very... hunky. Now, obviously, I am on the shorter side, since I'm a girl, but I stand a total of 5"3' and weigh in at a whopping 93 pounds, so I'm a bit of a wimp. Should I try body building to bulk myself up more? or should I pad some areas? Or should I just give up and make a female version?

Unread 11-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Ilafatyu
That guy

Bulking up is a serious undertaking. You can't turn your size and weight up and down as you feel inclined. If you're muscular for cosplay, you're muscular for everything else. Your clothes fit differently, you look different. If you were looking for an excuse to look or be stronger, now's a good time to go for it. You won't pass as a hunky dude due to height (you have my sympathy, fellow short cosplayer) but you could try.

Alternatively, you could do it exactly as you are, or genderbend the costume. You could try some contouring to define fake neck/shoulder muscles. It's your decision, whatever you choose.

Fellow tiny Magi cosplayer, bwahahaha. I am a five-foot-nothing Judal.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Utatane Piko - default (Vocaloid) - 90%
Connie (Shingeki no Kyojin) - 0%
Sheik (OoT/SSBB) - 53%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
belligerent
Viking Metal

It will probably take you several years to bulk up significantly, and that's only with a lot of work. If you want to go for that, go into it knowing that it won't be easy and it won't be fast. You could try padding your silhouette (shoulderpads) to look more masculine, but to be honest, he's wearing flowy stuff and most of his body is covered, anyway, if we're supposed to go by the top image. I think most of your passing will probably have to be done with your face through contouring.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
peacelovepandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
Bulking up is a serious undertaking. You can't turn your size and weight up and down as you feel inclined. If you're muscular for cosplay, you're muscular for everything else. Your clothes fit differently, you look different. If you were looking for an excuse to look or be stronger, now's a good time to go for it. You won't pass as a hunky dude due to height (you have my sympathy, fellow short cosplayer) but you could try.

Alternatively, you could do it exactly as you are, or genderbend the costume. You could try some contouring to define fake neck/shoulder muscles. It's your decision, whatever you choose.

Fellow tiny Magi cosplayer, bwahahaha. I am a five-foot-nothing Judal.
Oh my goodness yes. My friend is a 4 foot 9 Ja'far and my other is a 3 foot Alibaba
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
peacelovepandas

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
It will probably take you several years to bulk up significantly, and that's only with a lot of work. If you want to go for that, go into it knowing that it won't be easy and it won't be fast. You could try padding your silhouette (shoulderpads) to look more masculine, but to be honest, he's wearing flowy stuff and most of his body is covered, anyway, if we're supposed to go by the top image. I think most of your passing will probably have to be done with your face through contouring.
Thanks!I've seen lots of kind of shrimpy looking Sinbad's though, dispite the flowy clothes..
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

Not sure how well they are haveing never used one, but what about a muscle suit? Obviously it's a good idea to research them and see if it's even something that would look good or not, but yea..Also, that would cover any binding methods from being shown lol Since it's a male, I assume you will be binding so..I also assume you'd want the slightly lower cut shirt he wears which shows some chest (even if it's only a little), so a muscle suit would cover up the binding.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote