Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
aragrey
Babyhands

Smile Petticoat Structure

Hey there forum lurkers, I'm looking for someone with a bit more fashion knowledge that I have regarding petticoats for ball gowns. I've see two types:

Type One [http://www.bridaldressesshop.co.uk/2...oat-wp025.jpg] Where the top later is the shortest and the layer that touches the legs is the longest.

Type Two [http://image.dhgate.com/albu_2752116...petticoat.jpg] Where the top layer is the longest the the layer that touches the legs is the shortest.

Is one more correct that the other, or is it just a matter of preference? I appreciate any info ya'll have

..:: Dallas Sci-fi Expo & Dallas Comic Con & Anime Matsuri & A-Kon & San Japan & Anime-fest ::..
New This Year
..:: Belldandy & Splicer & Buttercup & Rouge the Bat & Formal Crow & Sailor Mars ::..
aragrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

There isn't any correct or incorrect, petticoats are completely unsentimental. They're supposed to give shape to the dress and smooth out any bumps from hoops or other understructure, and as long as they do that you're golden.

Depending what you're trying to do, the second option seems like it would work better for most purposes--it has a smoother surface line and less bulk around the legs.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Penlowe

pick your petticoat by it's shape, based on the designed shape of your dress, because that is the silhouette you will have when wearing it. And yes as mangochutney said, petticoats are 'unsentimental' they are structural garments only.
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
lemuries

The only way correctness comes up is if you are doing historical recreation and you want the proper petticoat for the proper silhouette for a ballgown from a certain location and time period. THEN, the choice of petticoat can make or break you.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote