Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-18-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
Bombdoll

another CAN I "PASS" topic?! Durr

I'm working on a cosplay of Sans from Undertale. It's still in its infancy; due to the holidays there's just no time to do any construction yet. So I've only collected a few standard pieces to alter once everything has died down. I have the hoodie and the shorts and a binder, but before I get too far into anything I want to know if a casual viewer would read my silhouette as male, or at least as neutral. If there's anywhere I can improve tell me as plainly as you can!

The costume will, when complete, consist of a large mask. So my face won't be visible. And all the clothes are loose, but sometimes loose can just enhance any feminine figure markers.

I'm very short (5'1"), so I know that's a big indication already. And I have 41" hips to a 29" waist so my natural shape is pretty distinctly female. But thankfully my shoulders are 16.5" wide so visually my shoulders are actually slightly wider than my hips somehow.

Front view (Shirt slightly tucked)
Front view (shirt loose)
Side view
Bombdoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Bombdoll

I can only assume everyone has been completely blown away by the pure, austere male-ness and had nothing to contribute for it was so flawlessly achieved. All joking aside I'm sure it can be improved in some way.
Unread 12-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Actually no, you might be right about that..Looks fine. Since you're covering your head, you really don't need to worry about anything other than binding, because his clothes are pretty baggy. The jacket seems to do a good job at hiding your body shape, which makes this way easier. If you really wanted to, you could add a waist piece that makes your shape more "male" looking, but I don't see a need for it.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:44 AM   #4
Bombdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Looks fine. Since you're covering your head, you really don't need to worry about anything other than binding, because his clothes are pretty baggy. The jacket seems to do a good job at hiding your body shape, which makes this way easier. If you really wanted to, you could add a waist piece that makes your shape more "male" looking, but I don't see a need for it.
Thanks for the feedback! I thought it looked prety good myself, and it helps that this character is often depicted as being a little thicc. But i know people with my body shape (round hips and big thighs) often have issues passing without specific garments so i figured i should get some advice from someone with know-how. I dont think that i will wear padding for my waist, since this this character wears unstructured clothes and a t-shirt might reveal the edges too easily. This binder is actually too small now so I've got a replacement in the mail as well.
Unread 12-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

It's fine. The binder is working as intended.

If anything, you could pad out the waist and tummy a little more, but you'd need additional undergarments to work with the padding, and that's probably not worth it for this kind of character.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

^ Agreeing with what Nathan said.

Another thing to look into is male posing, if you're doing any photoshoots, because certain poses can bring back some of the feminine shape (even if it doesn't feel like it right off the bat). Eg, poses like putting a hand on your hip is going to mess with your silhouette-- take a little time and practice!
  • Dancing Star Night Akira Kurusu (P5: DSN): 95% (Final Details) Anime Boston 2018
  • Lapis Lazuli (Houseki no Kuni) : ??% (Planning) Konkon Spring Shoot 2018
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
Bombdoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
^ Agreeing with what Nathan said.

Another thing to look into is male posing, if you're doing any photoshoots, because certain poses can bring back some of the feminine shape (even if it doesn't feel like it right off the bat). Eg, poses like putting a hand on your hip is going to mess with your silhouette-- take a little time and practice!
Yeah this is half of it at least! Thankfully this character spends most of the time with his hands crammed into hoodie pockets so that should kill the temptation to put my hands anywhere else that could be telling. For me it'll be remembering to stand with weight on both legs evenly so as to not push one hip out.
Unread 01-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombdoll View Post
But i know people with my body shape (round hips and big thighs) often have issues passing without specific garments so i figured i should get some advice from someone with know-how.
Haha, yeah...that would be my problem when I did Sans. I don't think I'm too flagrantly feminine in most of my pics, but I'm also pretty obviously female, at least to my eyes. To be fair I didn't go the step of getting a binder, I just wore an old sports bra, and the tee shirt wasn't as oversized as I'd wanted to help hide things even more. And apparently it was more clingy than I thought? Also wow I didn't notice my shorts were riding up so bad in that one picture...

Looking through my photos though it's obvious how big an impact posing can have. Anything dead-on I look decently flat and blocky, but if I curve at all it only emphasizes anything that's not taped down or hidden.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Table Tennis Mei (Overwatch)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I've done a few male characters and most of the time I try to really pass as male. A lot has to do with body language. Round your shoulders forward will help hide your chest. Walk/sit with your legs more open. For clothes, yes, have things that are looser and shirts that fall below your hips help hide your curves. Feel free to look at some of male characters and how I pose. One of my favs is

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/458937/

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote