Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Other Reviews

Unread 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Wig Brand Review: Richair

Name of Merchant: Richair
Website: http://item.rakuten.co.jp/richair/c/0000000135/ *Japan only
Items purchased: Blonde MC-900 60% off for 2,500 yen, Medium layer ML-005 (blonde) and ML-107 (silver) both for 4,380 yen.
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: Coming
Timeline (how long your order took to process): 1 week from payment to delivery.

I ordered three wigs from Richair through the shopping protal rakuten ~ I had hoped to use the pair of blonde wigs to replace our Kagamine Rin and Len Pricharas which had gone bare while taking advantage of the sale on the shorter wig. Grabbed a silver for my boyfriend's Rinnosuke costume in May too.

Pros: The order process, through rakuten, was pretty smooth. I paid via bank transfer through my Japanese bank account and had all of the shipping input pre-determined in my rakuten account. Pretty much 1-click shopping, woohoo!

The wigs arrived together, without a hitch, well-packed and in a small cardboard box with plenty of room to avoid being crushed.

Shipping was free and my transfer fee was 420 yen. Meaning in the end I got 3 new wigs for about 11,680 yen. Not awesome, but not bad.

The medium layers are quite textured and fun to play with. They have a lot of body and are designed to be spiked. As a result, they have no skintops or parts. Whether you like or hate that is really a matter of personal preference.

Each wig has a cloth strip near the front hairline to keep it from rubbing on or irritating skin. This is the first wig brand I I've used that offers such a thing and BOY is it appreciated! As someone who has actually BLED from a wig rubbing on a sensitive hairline, this is oh so very welcome!

The colors are few and standard but have good saturation and just enough shine to look like character wigs without looking terribly cheap.

Cons: The short wig is VERY short and in the end wasn't suitable for Rin. Instead, I'm using it for Masaomi Kida from Durarara! The entire costume was born from a desire to use this wig (which is -perfect- for it), so I suppose that's as much a compliment as it is an insult.

The pricing is pretty random and arbitrary. Not a week after I ordered the medium layers, their prices dropped to 3,855. That's a significant drop without a sale on and I felt rather screwed! The "retail prices" are also hilariously inflated, with prices in the 8,000-9,000 range the default in spite of the wig line being a fairly no-name brand on par with prichara (minus the style/color selection and coorporate support).

Final Comments: I'm satisfied with what I recieved but am not entirely convinced by their pricing scheme. Some wigs appear longer on their modelling heads than they do on human heads which can lead to length-dissappointments. Color and style selection is extremely limited but what colors and styles there are are attractive and useable. Scalp-shielding piece at the hairline is full of win.

Final Grade: 7. I would rate them higher had I purchased the layers at their current price, but feel I was overcharged for wigs that are more appropriately priced now.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 03-31-2011 at 07:20 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote