Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 12-02-2017, 02:32 AM   #1
Yakuza03
Cosplayer in Exile

Wow!

To be honest, I'm surprised I remember this old username I used to frequent before Facebook is a thing. Still running here? I'm impressed. Thought this website would go with the way of the Dodo. Don't get me wrong, it's still going strong and getting new members here. It's been at least a decade since I posted something.

But yeah, just memories...the good...and the weeaboo memories I'll admit. xD

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Productions (WTF Productions). Irony is our business.

Experimental animusical skit/masquerade happening at Fanime, Sunday.

Music "Betrayed" from the musical "The Producers"
Character featuring from "Dead or Alive", Bayman.
Yakuza03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Yeah, people certainly have been hanging around for a while.
  • Lapis Lazuli (Houseki no Kuni) : ??% (Wig Styling) Late Spring 2018
  • Gym Uniform Todoroki (BNHA): ??% (Planning) Summer 2018
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Yakuza03
Cosplayer in Exile

Suffice to say that without discovering this website back in '04, my interests in cosplay and cons would not have proliferated.
Yakuza03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza03 View Post
Suffice to say that without discovering this website back in '04, my interests in cosplay and cons would not have proliferated.
Hear, hear

I personally hadn't discovered this site until 2012, when I first jumped right into this stuff. I actually hadn't planned on joining, but I started to grow closer to this community once I started browsing here. I've been on and off with cosplay actually but I'm here to stay now.
I was even more surprised (at the time) to find out that cons and anything pertaining to them have been around for a while now that I've become more aware of it. I guess now they're becoming more mainstream?
But anywho I'm glad to be here too, I literally wouldn't know what to do with myself without it. Not in a 'the world is ending' kind of thing, but I simply wouldn't be doing anything at all (as a hobby) and I wouldn't be able to keep seeing my friends at events and such so, yeah!

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Ryoken Kogami/Revolver (genderbent, standard outfit), Yugioh Vrains
Shay Obsidian/Shun Kurosaki (genderbent), Yugioh Arc-V
Lulu Obsidian/Ruri Kurosaki, Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I love that it's all in one place. I can see so many different people's cosplay. On Facebook, I have to know the person or find them to see their pictures. Here I can see everyone who posts. Yay, sharing the cosplay joy.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

I've been here since 2009 but started being active like in 2011/2012, and I have pretty good memories of it, good friends, good cosplays to see, sadly some of them have left the forum and haven't come back, and there's others people who never made an effort to understand me, but I still enjoy this place to talk about cosplay, it's not been active lately, not as those days I used to upload just WIPs that ended in nothing, but it still has some, some new members have started and it's good to see some old members coming back.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza03 View Post
To be honest, I'm surprised I remember this old username I used to frequent before Facebook is a thing. Still running here? I'm impressed. Thought this website would go with the way of the Dodo. Don't get me wrong, it's still going strong and getting new members here. It's been at least a decade since I posted something.

But yeah, just memories...the good...and the weeaboo memories I'll admit. xD
I wouldn't say it's "going strong" exactly...this site seems like it's gone through I major downgrade since back when I first joined. Either the way to search a specific costume (character/series/etc,) has been removed, or they changed it to the point where I can no longer figure out how to do it. The events listed is updated maybe once a year if we're lucky. Showcase hasn't been updated for years. Polls are still broken. I think journals (one of my favorite parts when I first joined) are gone for good. Many of the forums for specific cons/series/hobbies are completely dead and have been for years. The old marketplace is gone, and it was way easier to search for specific stuff there.

Coming back here after so long, my first thought was most people had migrated somewhere else. Most of the alternative cosplay forum sites are dead or dying also, so I assumed everybody went to facebook/deviant/art/etc. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of old threads on here that are still useful for crafting your own stuff, and there are a few users still around you can chat with, but overall I feel like the quality of the site went downhill.

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
(TBD) Anime Midwest 2018

Current Cosplays: Suzu (ToP), Sheena (ToS) default and young/successor version

Upcoming Cosplays: Magma Grunt, White Mage, Kikyo

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
BisectedBrioche
Selfie Queen

TBH, these forums seem pretty quiet these days.

Sometimes it'll go days without a new post.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%) Sheik (?)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

With some good updates (and maybe some rebranding) this site could definitely come back to life. The forums are a wealth of knowledge, that's not gonna die out, at least.

Photo uploading is super challenging here and I think that's a major deterrent-- I'm a pretty active user and even I have sparse postings of my newer costumes here because it's so much work just to upload a few shots, let alone a gallery. Search could definitely be improved-- use those tags!-- and if it became the hub of meetup organization again, that'd be awesome. (I hate that Facebook is now the center of it-- it's super hard to find anything. At least here on CosCom we had subforums divided by con, and usually an easily accessible master list...)
  • Lapis Lazuli (Houseki no Kuni) : ??% (Wig Styling) Late Spring 2018
  • Gym Uniform Todoroki (BNHA): ??% (Planning) Summer 2018
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
With some good updates (and maybe some rebranding) this site could definitely come back to life. The forums are a wealth of knowledge, that's not gonna die out, at least.

Photo uploading is super challenging here and I think that's a major deterrent-- I'm a pretty active user and even I have sparse postings of my newer costumes here because it's so much work just to upload a few shots, let alone a gallery. Search could definitely be improved-- use those tags!-- and if it became the hub of meetup organization again, that'd be awesome. (I hate that Facebook is now the center of it-- it's super hard to find anything. At least here on CosCom we had subforums divided by con, and usually an easily accessible master list...)
I didn't know there still was a search function. I can't seem to find it any more.
Yoshiko Tsushima (Love Love! Sunshine!!, Summer Uniform) and undetermined others - Amecon (July)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #11
Jacky_theNerd
Cranky Costumer Hobbyist

You all think any of the mods or admins or creators would even bother to give the site an overhaul into the more modern era, though?

Jacky the Nerd's Blog (WordPress) All of my main content goes here.
Facebook Probably the easiest way to follow me.
Tumblr
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
Zoeyromanov

Quote:

Total agreement with ya there. I've never had problems even with just uploading in-progress shots, but I have had my photos flipped into an odd orientation? Like I upload the photo in it's proper view then all the sudden it's flipped sideways or something...and I don't know why.
Yeah I hate how people use Facebook invitations to invite people to gatherings/events; though with me personally I text my friend and he's usually willing to go.
However that aside I kinda think we're steering away a little from what OP's original comment...that is to say people can't comment on the site nowadays (as I too am a regular user) though let's not get side tracked.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Ryoken Kogami/Revolver (genderbent, standard outfit), Yugioh Vrains
Shay Obsidian/Shun Kurosaki (genderbent), Yugioh Arc-V
Lulu Obsidian/Ruri Kurosaki, Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #13
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacky_theNerd View Post
You all think any of the mods or admins or creators would even bother to give the site an overhaul into the more modern era, though?
There's one coming. The codebase is pretty much complete, and the UI design is currently being worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
I didn't know there still was a search function. I can't seem to find it any more.
Photo/Costume search is down until the new version is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
Total agreement with ya there. I've never had problems even with just uploading in-progress shots, but I have had my photos flipped into an odd orientation? Like I upload the photo in it's proper view then all the sudden it's flipped sideways or something...and I don't know why.
This can happen sometimes depending on the camera/photo software used. For example - say you take a photo in portrait mode, and then upload it to the site without any edits. With certain cameras, the photo is still a regular landscape mode image and the site doesn't do any calculations to see if it should be flipped or not. Typically if you first load it into a program like photoshop and "save for web" then it will fix the issue.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2017, 03:59 AM   #14
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Photo uploading is super challenging here and I think that's a major deterrent-- I'm a pretty active user and even I have sparse postings of my newer costumes here because it's so much work just to upload a few shots, let alone a gallery.
One of the major changes coming is that we're changing the main focus away from the photos page and over to the costumes. This way you can easily add photos directly from your costume page (or album) rather than having to associate each individual image from the one upload page.

Quote:
Search could definitely be improved-- use those tags!--
We're moving to tag-based. This is part of why search is currently down.

Quote:
and if it became the hub of meetup organization again, that'd be awesome. (I hate that Facebook is now the center of it-- it's super hard to find anything. At least here on CosCom we had subforums divided by con, and usually an easily accessible master list...)
Events are getting expanded pages and have forums automatically built into them. One minor annoyance about the current format is that we have to add forums individually for events, and this becomes a bit difficult in that a judgment call has to be made regarding whether an event actually needs one. I've had event forums requested that ended up getting zero posts, and some of the most popular events have more active communities elsewhere. In the end it leads to a lot of clutter in the current format.

The new forum format is simple - all events are in one main section, and prefixed with the specific event tag. You can then filter event posts by event, your subscribed events, country, etc. This way all we have to do is add/approve an event, and it automatically has a forum integrated.

The rest of the main forums will also be condensed down into around 10-12 forum sections.

Anything else can be covered with something like a usergroup feature, but I want to get input on that before designing it. It could turn into a mess otherwise.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2017, 01:03 AM   #15
Jacky_theNerd
Cranky Costumer Hobbyist

At the admin(s): all of this sounds like good stuff. Thanks for answering our questions, and reading our feedback. I'm pleasantly surprised there are some changes being made to the site. Also, a follow-up question about condensing the forums. Will the old forums and threads be preserved; i.e., uploaded to an archive like the WaybackMachine, or just moved into the condensed pages; or will there be, like, a whole new forums? A blank slate, if you will? I'm curious about that because some of those old posts are really useful and just plain fun to look at.

P.S. I'm sorry if my question offended any of you. Looking back at it, it sounds kind of mean as opposed to simply curious.

Jacky the Nerd's Blog (WordPress) All of my main content goes here.
Facebook Probably the easiest way to follow me.
Tumblr
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote