Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Nausea at conventions

For some reason, I seem to get anxiety like nothing else when going to certain conventions. Ones that are really close to my home (within driving range) I'm fine, but ones that are further away and require more transport, I just get really sick for the whole weekend.

I just can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. I'm not afraid of crowds, since I go to malls every single week and I go to insanely crowded Comic Cons without any problem. But when I go to a convention much further away, bam, tons of nausea. I'm not sure it's "being far from home" that causes it either, because I lived like 4 hours away from home at college for 4 years and was perfectly fine, and I've never gotten nausea from traveling around the country either. Outside of conventions, just normal life, I'm perfectly fine. No serious medical conditions, no chronic illnesses, nothing.

I've tried anti-nausea medicines, both over-the-counter and prescription. OTC stuff does nothing, and the prescription stuff only worked sometimes.

So I can only assume it's some kind of anxiety causing it, as I get super excited to go to the con, but then when I finally get there, nothing but nausea and misery and wanting to go home, constantly feeling like I'm about to barf even though I haven't eaten anything. My mood seems to be tied to how nauseous I'm feeling at the moment. When I'm in "about to barf" mode and doing my breathing techniques, I feel awful. But then when I swing back towards feeling okay, I start feeling happier again. And then...the cycle just keeps repeating.

What exactly can one do about this? I've heard of some "xanax" anxiety medicine, should I talk to my general doc and get that prescribed?

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 03-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
NostalgiaShmltz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

It's definitely anxiety, and it may require medical attention, so it's a good idea to tell your doctor, tell how you feel at such events and he'll give you a diagnosis about it.

I know this because my mom and brother-in-kaw have anxiety (and probably me too) and have gone through such treatments.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Well, like I said, this ONLY happens at conventions, and even then, only some conventions, not all of them.

Outside of conventions, just during normal life, I'm perfectly fine. No health issues, no illnesses, nothing like that. I eat fine, I sleep fine, I do everything just fine, no issues.

I'll definitely see the doc, yes, but I don't think I have "anxiety" in general if it only happens at conventions and never anywhere else.

Last edited by NostalgiaShmltz : 03-30-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Unread 03-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaShmltz View Post
Well, like I said, this ONLY happens at conventions, and even then, only some conventions, not all of them.

Outside of conventions, just during normal life, I'm perfectly fine. No health issues, no illnesses, nothing like that. I eat fine, I sleep fine, I do everything just fine, no issues.

I'll definitely see the doc, yes, but I don't think I have "anxiety" in general if it only happens at conventions and never anywhere else.
Anxiety can happen at an specific place in an specific time for an specific reason, specially one where you don't feel comfortable at all, maybe there's something htere that makes you feel uncomfortable and you didn't know it.You can have anxiety at a friends' gathering in the park for social phobia, or feel anxiety at an specific street because something horrible happened there before, or even at an specific supermarket if someone close to you stole something there and it gave you bad memories that make you feel anxious.

Of course it's not the same going to a mall than going to a con, at the mall you're part of the rest of the crowd, at the con you're an attention target for the crowd, people look at you, talk about you, take pictures with you, asks for your facebook profile, asks for your phone number to put you in a WhatsApp group, and will keep talking about you when they see your costume in social media, and that's probably what got you nervous.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

But that kind of thing happens at the two closer cons. I get plenty of people stopping me to take my picture or telling me that they think my cosplay is cool, or whatever. But I'm still perfectly fine, no nausea at all.

This whole thing just doesn't make sense at all to me. Regardless, I'll talk to my doctor and see if I can get some prescription meds to deal with anxiety.
Unread 03-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Syon
leads the crusade

I wouldn't put a full blown anxiety label on that, as your issue is really really specific. A usual anxiety disorder would hit you on a wider range of places and not just that very specific set of conventions. To me this sounds more like a stress reaction. That your brain is somehow stressed out in that specific kind of situation and causes you to fell so unwell.

I would seek out a professional for this, who has a much better set of tools to understand whats going on and how to treat your problem. Your doctor could help you find someone like that. Maybe you don't even need medicine (and any brain influencing medicine usually goes best alongside of therapy).
Unread 03-31-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Specifically because it's so narrow/specific of an issue, is why I'd look into using a prescription anti-anxiety instead of seeing a psychologist or something. Since one of these two cons, I'm not going to be attending anymore (lost interest), I'd only be using the medicine once per year, for those two days of the other convention, so it's not like I'd be relying heavily on it or anything.

Just seems a bit overkill to see a psychologist over stress/anxiety that happens at one place, once per year, and never happens outside of that. Especially considering that I do the exact same thing at other places (conventions) and the stress/anxiety doesn't happen there.
Unread 06-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #8
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I get incredible amounts of anxiety going to a con. Nervous, zone out, instantly tired as soon as I enter the building. But as soon as I leave and go back into my hotel room I'm wide awake and feeling normal again. Yet I can go through airports, crowded subways, other events and not have that same type of feeling. I don't see a doctor I just fight through it for the couple days and take breaks often.
CS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
NostalgiaShmltz
Nostalgia Schmaltz

Yeah, same, I go out in public to very crowded places pretty often and I'm perfectly fine. Yet, for some reason, two conventions that I go to that are both far from my house, I get sick as all hell for most of the duration of the con. I don't have panic attacks or trouble breathing or drowsiness or anything like that, just a very strange kind of nausea where, I feel really hungry, but at the same time it feels like I'm going to barf if food so much as touches my tongue. And that has happened, almost. One time I tried to fight the nausea by just forcing myself to eat, but as soon as I took a bite of the food, I immediately felt a rush of nausea and had to spit it out. Didn't throw up, though.

I can only assume that it's something subconscious about being so far away from home. Leading up to the con, I'm super excited and can't wait to go, but then I actually go there, and I'm sick almost the entire time. Conventions that are close to my house (within 40 minute drive), I have no problems at. But further than an hour, and I get all kinds of nausea and barely eat anything at all.

I did end up talking to my doctor about it, and explained everything; he agreed that it was likely some anxiety or stress caused by being so far from home, and prescribed me some anxiety meds, which he described as a "tranquilizer". Hopefully that'll work.