Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
WCMorpheus

Cosplay Video Critique

I prepared a Cosplay video from Emerald City Comicon and would appreciate a video critique so I will know what to do (or what not to do) for next time... besides the epileptic seizures and to buy a new camera specifically for video. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_RKqpTIJVE

For this video, I used a Canon T1i SLR and did the editing using Windows Movie Maker from my laptop. I was thinking of getting a camera that would be a bit more smooth and fluid for video, perhaps a GoPro, but I would have to do some research first. Thanks in advance!

★ª"˜¨★ª"˜¨¯˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸★☆ FACEBOOK COSPLAY PAGE ☆★¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¯¨˜"ª★¨˜"ª★
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
josplay
Josplay

I liked it overall, I really like these cosplay con music videos.
I thought the intro was a bit long and uneccesary though.
I like that you tried to have people do things to the beat of the song, but I think the rhythm could have been better and maybe they could have done something related to their cosplay character with the beat (which most did, just not banging their fists on an invisible nothing).
Also if you can I think you should try to pull epople away from crowds to do something for a video, I noticed people in the background stopping and looking like they were waiting until you were done to pass.
I understand giving credits at the end, but I thought it was way too long a sequence. Maybe do a scroll like at the end of movies?
And maybe get some different angles on people to make it more dynamic.
Also variety in cosplays/cosplayers was pretty nice too.
josplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
WCMorpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by josplay View Post
I liked it overall, I really like these cosplay con music videos.
I thought the intro was a bit long and uneccesary though.
I like that you tried to have people do things to the beat of the song, but I think the rhythm could have been better and maybe they could have done something related to their cosplay character with the beat (which most did, just not banging their fists on an invisible nothing).
Also if you can I think you should try to pull epople away from crowds to do something for a video, I noticed people in the background stopping and looking like they were waiting until you were done to pass.
I understand giving credits at the end, but I thought it was way too long a sequence. Maybe do a scroll like at the end of movies?
And maybe get some different angles on people to make it more dynamic.
Also variety in cosplays/cosplayers was pretty nice too.
Thanks for the critique! Much appreciated!

Yeah, the intro part was quite long for the song, so I used that time to highlight the venue, surrounding area and show the viewer what ECCC is about. I had planned on using "Jump" by Van Halen, but asking people to jump with costumes on might be a bit much.

You know, for most cosplayers, I specifically asked, "What is your go-to pose?" A few shrugged and had no idea, so I had to suggest a pose for them based on their character. One girl that was Black Widow was not good at taking directions freaked out, said, "I feel awkward..." and ran away because this was her first time cosplaying, apparently. It's too bad because she was beautiful, had a great costume and we were outside away from crowds gathering in the background.

Ironically, I had a ton of extra footage that I didn't use because of too many people in the background. The outside area was beautifully landscaped and perfect for filming, but I thought it would be a hassle to ask people to come outside. There was one clip that I couldn't use because this one a-hole in a Deadpool costume photobombed the shot. I was really upset about that, but didn't want to be a prick, so I let it slide.

I'll be sure to change up the camera angles in my next effort and shorten the credits. I think I need to upgrade my camera to something that takes smoother video clips. Even when I was perfectly still, the camera seemed to detail every slight movement.

Thanks again!

★ª"˜¨★ª"˜¨¯˜ª¤.¸`*•.¸*•¸★☆ FACEBOOK COSPLAY PAGE ☆★¸•*¸.•*´¸.¤ª˜¯¨˜"ª★¨˜"ª★
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote