Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Karthon

Question Am I too old and tall to cosplay Ciel?

Hey guys. I will start by saying I have never cosplayed once in my life, but I am really interested in getting into it. I want to cosplay Ciel first because he is the most awesome character and I'm scared I will grow too old. I am 14 (15 in November) right now. That's another thing, I'm scared I will be too old. My voice isn't too deep (imagine Edward Elric), but I think I can pull it off.

I am 5'10"..... 5 inches too tall.... Can I still do it. Oh yeah, and I'm a boy. I pretty scrawny, so that's no worry

I can't sew (though I might try to learn), so I will have to find a good commissioner. I really want to pull of an amazing one, so I need all the input I can get. I'm usually scared to post a picture online... but I am very passionate about Ciel.

SPOILER: (highlight to read)

This middle one I only posted because I was giving an evil look at the camera, and I thought it fit Ciel

This is actually one of the best ones I think I have seen online. Sebastian is a woman, but I think Ciel is actually a young boy. Though, I can't tell, he could very well be a woman too, but I think he's a boy.

SPOILER: (highlight to read)

Well, spoilers work differently on this website. I am being serious though guys. I want to fit Ciel... It's my dream cosplay, but I want to look good while doing it. Thanks.
Karthon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Skyefrost
Not Always Right

Ciel is about 14 in the anime. And well you do have the expression down very well in the 2nd picture. I can imagine Ciel with the same face.

I looked at the original picture da and the look was achieve though make up. Ciel "perfect" skin and it looks like both used eyeliner as well.

Good luck and check around the forum. There's a kuroshitsuji/black butler thread that would be happy to help and check on the makeup forum to achieve the haughty aristocrat look.
Skyefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

For me you look great for it.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Khorrupt

Alright, piece of very helpful advice: don't worry about your voice at all.

As you mentioned, the Sebastian in that picture is a woman. I bet she doesn't sound like Sebastian either

Also, I think getting the mindset that you're too tall or too old to cosplay is really degrading to all cosplayers...because, think, if you narrowed down the list of characters that sounded like you, looked like you, were your age, and your height...you'd have no one to cosplay!

Even if you want characters that are your age/height...frankly, Ciel's not a bad choice at all! I think you'd make a good one.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~kigurumi!Silkie (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Elizabethan!TARDIS - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier - 15% complete
~Princess Peach - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
umbrielle
thenightfall

I'm 5'6, 18, and a female and I'm gonna be cosplaying Ciel. I don't think height or age or sex should matter who you cosplay just as long as you have fun with it.
umbrielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Ilafatyu
That guy

I know a 25 year old Ciel cosplayer. She's a chick, but age is hardly a dealbreaker. Unless you're planning on doing group photos, height isn't much of an issue. Even then, good photographers know ways to place people to make people appear different height.

Go for it.

facebook // dA
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (RWBY) - 3%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
SA2R
King of the Skies

I am almost 24, male and 5'5. I have cosplayed Ciel, and still have plans to cosplay him once more. To be honest, I think you will be a great Ciel! You have a good expression.

Prince Ludwig...........ルードヴィッヒ革命
Takuto Tsunashi...........STAR DRIVER
Haruto...........Valvrave the Liberator
Leddo................Suisei no Gargantia
Red Mist.........................KICK-ASS
Rui....................Gatchaman Crowds
Yukine.............................Noragami
Hoozuki..............Hoozuki no reitetsu
Ringabel...................Bravely default

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Like everyone said, don't let the age or height bother you. My friend was 19 the first time she cosplayed Ciel. I made a costume on commission of him for a guy that was in his mid 20s when he first cosplayed him and was taller than Ciel is supposed to be. Cosplay is for fun. Unless you are trying to audition for an actual role, just cosplay who you want to.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

You age is fine (I thought he was 12 in the anime, but cmon 2 years is nothing), and most cosplayers ignore height anyway. For photos and stuff, posing will make all the difference. That last photo of yours is a great example! The Sebastian may only be as tall at the Ciel, but you could never tell because she's kneeling, and her legs are all tucked up under herself. A pose with opposite levels will work just as well: you could sit and have a Sebastian stand nearby with their best military posture. Or, if it's just you, sitting helps make you look smaller not just because you;re closer to the ground, but you can hide the length of your limbs (the first two photos are good examples of this)
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
AkariSakumi

Don't worry!

I understand your desire to pull of a convincing cosplay, but try not to worry about little things like height, age, voice and facial expressions too much. Voice and face go more into the acting side, and I've known many, many cosplayers who merely dress up and do hardly any part acting for the character and are still very good. Acting is part of the fun of cosplay, but don't stress about being convincing.

As for physical appearance, at my very first con (Otakon 2010), I saw an adult man (maybe 30-35) who was very hairy and had to have been at least 300 lbs cosplaying Sailor Moon. It was kinda scarring, actually.
All in all, cosplay is all about showing others your passion for something, and I'm sure your Ciel will turn out wonderful, just go out there and have fun with it!
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

Not at all! I think you'd be a perfect fit for him, honestly, I don't think I've ever even seen a boy cosplay as him before so that's awesome! Besides, I'm 17 and the characters I want to cosplay are usually about 12 years old...

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Kitsuko

Like everyone else said, don't let things that you can't help like age or height keep you from cosplaying what you want to. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to cosplay most of the characters that I plan on cosplaying as I'm 21 and most of the characters I want to dress as are around 12 to 16 years old. xD

Seriously, what you should be worrying about most is having fun cosplaying a character that you love.
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
Spirithealer

I believe it's an awesome idea, considering how few males consider Ciel.
Spirithealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Karthon

Wow! Thank you everybody! Certainly a confidence boost! I'm excited now I can't wait to buy a wig! I didn't think this thread went through at first, but now I realize they just have strict moderating. Thanks so much!
Karthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Don't worry how you look man uwu, I'm 6'3 and I cosplay the shortest charactes I swear..
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote