Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

How to get over feeling overwhelmed?

Lately I've found it hard to make any cosplay progress because I'm overwhelmed by all of the work I have to do. I don't know how to get over this feeling or force myself past it. Anyone else ever get this feeling? If so, how do you overcome it?
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2018
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Fanime 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2018, 12:42 AM   #2
lunaflora

Just take things one step at a time, focus on finishing the step your at, and less about how many steps there are.
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2018, 03:00 AM   #3
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

I know that feeling, I find it's best to not think about everything you have to do all at once and take it one step at a time. For instance, for an armored costume just think "ok I just need to make a helmet" then once the helmets done "ok I just need to make a gauntlet" etc.
jdcooper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I also give myself breaks. I play a game of solitaire and then I do another part of my cosplay. I don't get to play another game until I can say I've done "X".

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

If you're the kind of person who uses lists to stay organized, that's a good way to size up what cosplay progress you still have left to do. Break the costume down component by component, and tackle one at a time.

Personally I also like to go further and break down each component task by task too. That can be overwhelming sometimes, but it's also really satisfying to check off a bunch of boxes as you get through a part!
  • Lapis Lazuli (Houseki no Kuni) : ??% (Wig Styling) Late Spring 2018
  • Gym Uniform Todoroki (BNHA): ??% (Planning) Summer 2018
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
Zoeyromanov

Me personally, having only several days a week that I go to school I do have time on my hands but at the same I do have family obligations, and homework to do when the time calls for it.
When I get more info about a large con I usually have to buy my ticket 4, 5 months ahead because of a cap they've implemented recently. And in that time frame, I usually buy materials/clothes needed since I have loads of time so I don't worry about time constraints.
This makes things more manageable, and even more since I'm relatively new to costume making and I do cosplays that are 'normal' looking. With that said, it also depends on the costume you're making -- putting together an easy-moderate costume is easier to put together than full armor costumes, and will take less time; especially taking into consideration that people have day jobs (unless you're a commissioner).
I'd put more important things first then cosplay - we love cosplay obviously, but once it comes down to it you might have to do put down that costume to prioritize things.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Lists are fantastic. I'm getting old so I need lists just to remember what the hell I'm doing in what order.

As long as the overwhelming is just not having a good system already in place for deciding where to start and how to manage your time well, lists are great. You have to break down the costume in order to do the research to know what fabric to buy and what patterns to use, so while you're at it, use that breakdown to list out which parts to make in what order. Then list out the materials you need and give yourself deadlines by which to have them in hand.

It also helps to keep you on task rather than wander off and play 60 hours of Zelda instead of working on your cosplay. It's easy to procrastinate, but if you start early enough, prepare, and stick to your checklist and deadlines, you can find free time to also play video games or whatnot.

But if you're overwhelming yourself because you're taking on costumes that are far above your skill level, not starting your sewing until a week before the convention, or planning on too many costumes all at once, that's a different problem entirely and takes being honest with yourself instead of ambitious.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Lists are fantastic. I'm getting old so I need lists just to remember what the hell I'm doing in what order.

As long as the overwhelming is just not having a good system already in place for deciding where to start and how to manage your time well, lists are great. You have to break down the costume in order to do the research to know what fabric to buy and what patterns to use, so while you're at it, use that breakdown to list out which parts to make in what order. Then list out the materials you need and give yourself deadlines by which to have them in hand.

It also helps to keep you on task rather than wander off and play 60 hours of Zelda instead of working on your cosplay. It's easy to procrastinate, but if you start early enough, prepare, and stick to your checklist and deadlines, you can find free time to also play video games or whatnot.

But if you're overwhelming yourself because you're taking on costumes that are far above your skill level, not starting your sewing until a week before the convention, or planning on too many costumes all at once, that's a different problem entirely and takes being honest with yourself instead of ambitious.
Same! I go through tons of notebooks because I'm a compulsive list-maker. It works very well for writing out, breaking down, planning, tracking my time, etc. on costumes. And I also almost never put together a new outfit with less than a certain amount of time to do it. Big builds I give myself around a year to do. Smaller things, depends on how much free time I have but always a bare minimum of a month, preferably a couple. I also plan out my work schedule for the week in advance so I'm not casting about for what I'm going to work on today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
ZanyGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigouku Chou View Post
Lately I've found it hard to make any cosplay progress because I'm overwhelmed by all of the work I have to do. I don't know how to get over this feeling or force myself past it. Anyone else ever get this feeling? If so, how do you overcome it?
I also make checklists of each piece because it inspires me to see how much I've gotten done.

But it's also important to understand why you are feeling overwhelmed. Like someone else said, is it because you bit off more than you can chew, or because you're setting unrealistic deadlines for yourself, or something else.

I know a lot of people plan costumes for a specific event and that causes them a lot of stress because they want to get it done on time. You have to keep in mind that you set your own deadlines for this. If you need to postpone a costume debut, you can make that decision.

I like to work on stuff at my own pace without putting extra stress on myself, because this is supposed to be fun. So, after my first costume was done, I decided not to plan which con my costumes will debut at until I'm well enough along to know for sure they will be done without me stressing over them. So if I don't want to sew on a sleeve today, I'll do it tomorrow or two years from now or never.
ZanyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Same! I go through tons of notebooks because I'm a compulsive list-maker. It works very well for writing out, breaking down, planning, tracking my time, etc. on costumes. And I also almost never put together a new outfit with less than a certain amount of time to do it. Big builds I give myself around a year to do. Smaller things, depends on how much free time I have but always a bare minimum of a month, preferably a couple. I also plan out my work schedule for the week in advance so I'm not casting about for what I'm going to work on today.
This all the way.
This helps big time, especially when you're someone like me who needs lists to stay on track.

Anime North 2019:
TBD

Future plans:
Trickstar Sweet Devil, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]
Trickstar Band Sweet Guitar, Yugioh [Fan Expo 2019]

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / Twitter

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too." -- Wonder Woman, Justice League War

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
BIRD POWER!
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #11
Chokichi
Professional Commissioner

110% agree with the lists and checklist comments!! I don't know how I would survive without them! I have a stack of checklists next to me on my desk right now! I also have a ton of reminders on my phone! I wish I could have Siri remind me in a sarcastic b!t(y tone though ;p
Chokichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #12
ChibiDannimon

Too Ugly Broke and Stupid to Cosplay

** Please delete**

2018 Cosplays

Sailor Uranus - Sailor Moon
Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Mei-Ling Zhou - Overwatch
Ryuko Matoi - Kill La Kill

Last edited by ChibiDannimon : 02-21-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: moo
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote