Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 03-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Sulli

Megacon Sword

Okay...so I'm new to the weapons thing. I tried checking on Megacon's policy for swords and didn't have much luck in figuring out what's really allowed. I tried messaging them and they just sent me the same thing on their website. Does anyone know what material is allowed? They also state this:Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they canít be drawn. That seems kind of silly...do anyone of you know if this is upheld?

Basically, I need a sword for a cosplay of mine and since i'm 0% talented in the creative department I'm going to buy one. I just don't know what material is allowed. Also, I tried finding this in other threads and had no luck so forgive me if it's been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!
Sulli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
TheStickMaster
Amatuer Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Okay...so I'm new to the weapons thing. I tried checking on Megacon's policy for swords and didn't have much luck in figuring out what's really allowed. I tried messaging them and they just sent me the same thing on their website. Does anyone know what material is allowed? They also state this:Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they canít be drawn. That seems kind of silly...do anyone of you know if this is upheld?

Basically, I need a sword for a cosplay of mine and since i'm 0% talented in the creative department I'm going to buy one. I just don't know what material is allowed. Also, I tried finding this in other threads and had no luck so forgive me if it's been answered elsewhere.

Thanks for your help!
I've been going to Megacon for years, as for the weapons policy I don't believe it's changed that much since 2007 when I started going.
To summarize, you should not be able to shoot projectiles from the weapon, in compliance with laws if it is a gun it needs to be painted at the tip with a distinct color, it should not look too real (like air-soft guns) but I have seen people cosplay Umbrella corp and soldiers with realistic looking weapons before.
When I made a big buster sword for a cosplay I didn't have any issues. But it was made from plywood and did not look "realistic". If you bring or buy a weapon like vendors sell in the dealers room it usually needs to be peace bonded with a colored zip-tie. The Prop Check booth near the entrance is usually where they do this when inspecting your props.
I have seen plastic, wood, foam, metal swords/staffs/guns etc. the materials don't seem to be an issue, it's whether your prop functions as a real weapon (sharp edges, ability to shoot projectiles like air soft pellets or BBs) Nerf seems to get a pass.
Unless you have a sharpened katana that could actually cut someone, I think you will be fine but it's always up to the Prop Check volunteers working the booth with the final say.

Megacon Website Policy:
http://megaconorlando.com/props-weapons-policy-2/
This thread may also help:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=166053
Unread 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Sulli

Thank you!
Sulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy

Hello! I took a high-density foam Master Sword with a solid core to MegaCon last year. The "Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they canít be drawn" is completely ridiculous, so no one follows it. But, as a precaution, I made my scabbard tighter than usual when I was making it, so it was more difficult to pull my sword out. My plan was, if anyone confronted me about the rule, to pull gently at the sword's hilt and act like it was glued inside. No one ever said anything though, so I posed with my sword out for pretty much the whole duration of the con! Actually, I didn't have a weapon check of any kind. I waited in line to exchange my ticket for a wristband, then walked right into the con; no one looked at my sword. Maybe it's because my personality gives off super chibi-fairy child vibes and they really didn't think I was the murderer type, or maybe it was goof in planning. Don't know, but very glad I didn't have to have any hold-ups!
As far as materials, you can pretty much use anything as long as it can't be mistaken for an actual weapon. No metal-like materials or sharp edges, things like that. If you're using foam, plastic, thin wood, paper mache, etc. you should be fine.

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between the heart (wearing a flower crown while skipping along a beach) or the brain (wearing a graduation cap with a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

MegaCon 2017- Felicity Smoak

Previous:

MegaCon Tampa Bay 2016 - Felicity Smoak
MegaCon 2016 - Fem!Link
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote