Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 04-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
BelgainDuRan
Holy Carp!

Too early to discuss 2018?

I know, it's still so far off, but is it really too early to start discussing it and planning cosplay gatherings? Cause I know I want to do at least 3-4 again.
Star Wars
Marvel/DC
Lightsabers
Steven Universe
Am I the only one already thinking about it?
BelgainDuRan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2017, 03:29 AM   #2
BelgainDuRan
Holy Carp!

I guess I am, huh?
BelgainDuRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
sickleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgainDuRan View Post
I guess I am, huh?
I don't mind starting up the gathering schedule again; I have the spreadsheet ready already.
sickleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #4
Kathina

Never too late to start early and its not a bad idea either! I'm planning to go to ALA next year.
Any possible Cosplans?
ALA 2018

Cosplay Progress for 2017:
[color="Magenta"]-Kairi-Kingdom Hearts 2-40%
[color="Pink"]Kari-Digimon Adventures 01 -43%
Sakura Haruno-The Last-73%
-
Check my work out:
Instagram: @kathina_gallery (personal and using to get my work out there)
World Cosplay:Kathina
DeviantArt: Ninawitchgrl (Art, Cosplay, and Photos)
Kathina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
Kokoro Hane
Aspiring game dev

Don't think it is ever too early to start planning! I've been wanting to go to this con for awhile, and I am hoping to attend in 2018 if all goes well.

Completed Cosplays!
Mikasa Ackerman [yukata] (Attack on Titan)
Mayuri Shiina (Steins;Gate) {debuted at; Anime Expo AX2012}
Jun Suwabara [casual] (Doppelganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul)
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
Kathina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro Hane View Post
Don't think it is ever too early to start planning! I've been wanting to go to this con for awhile, and I am hoping to attend in 2018 if all goes well.
Same here I have friends going to this Con and I like what some people have said about it.
I'm planning to cosplay Kairi from Digimon Season 1
Sakura from Naruto Shippuden and/or The Last or those 2 with a crossover of Harry Potter
Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2
ALA 2018

Cosplay Progress for 2017:
[color="Magenta"]-Kairi-Kingdom Hearts 2-40%
[color="Pink"]Kari-Digimon Adventures 01 -43%
Sakura Haruno-The Last-73%
-
Check my work out:
Instagram: @kathina_gallery (personal and using to get my work out there)
World Cosplay:Kathina
DeviantArt: Ninawitchgrl (Art, Cosplay, and Photos)
Kathina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
Cyberwolfman

Looking forward to ALA 2018 as it will be the first convention I'll be able to really attend properly since ALA 2016! Doubt I'll make PMX 2017. Never too early to plan! I should have my next cosplay done by then, King Cold (DBZ).
Cyberwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Kaen

I've been thinking about trying out this con, too! Is it considered a smaller convention? I'm a bit burned out on how huge AX has gotten. How many people are usually there each year? The only numbers I've found are 9k this year.
Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #9
sickleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaen View Post
I've been thinking about trying out this con, too! Is it considered a smaller convention? I'm a bit burned out on how huge AX has gotten. How many people are usually there each year? The only numbers I've found are 9k this year.
It's definitely a much smaller con than AX. I don't know the exact numbers but there's plenty of elbow room and the lines are nowhere near the ones at AX. I think the most I've waited in line for my badge was like 15 minutes, and it was during Day 1 in the afternoon. Don't expect the dealer hall or artist alley to be anywhere as big as the one at AX's though. But if none of that matters to you and you just want a cozier atmosphere, ALA is definitely worth a try.
sickleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
Kaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickleweed View Post
It's definitely a much smaller con than AX. I don't know the exact numbers but there's plenty of elbow room and the lines are nowhere near the ones at AX. I think the most I've waited in line for my badge was like 15 minutes, and it was during Day 1 in the afternoon. Don't expect the dealer hall or artist alley to be anywhere as big as the one at AX's though. But if none of that matters to you and you just want a cozier atmosphere, ALA is definitely worth a try.
The main thing that started to bother me about AX was that I couldn't get into a lot of panels I wanted to see because they were so crowded and the main events are ticketed, too. I think the dealer hall and AA should still be a lot bigger than the local cons I see, at least. XD Will give it a try next year and see how it goes! Thanks for your insight.
Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #11
N8_B

I've finally (hopefully) got a couple of friends to go, and in cosplay, but we're going to be one of the probably many to do characters from RWBY. I may do more (I have Naked Snake from Metal Gear Solid 3), but I'm not sure. Just glad to finally have friends to go with.
N8_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
animejunkie
Crossplay is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaen View Post
I think ALA is trying to strive for medium sized con numbers like Fanime, but for now, it is a smaller con; I think this year was around 10,000 people though I could be wrong. AX was my first con back in 2005 when it was a fraction of its current size, but lately, I've found ALA is a much more fun con for me. While it has lost some of the intimate vibes that came from being a hotel con, it has yet to lose that fan first vibe and sense of community that AX honestly has not had in years. Not only are badge lines never horrific like AX (most I've ever waited was maybe 15 minutes on Day 1), but there is ample room to walk and you can easily walk into most if not all panels. I highly recommend checking out ALA at least once!

FB: The Casual Otaku

Upcoming Cons/Events

Ronin Expo
Anime Expo
PMX
animejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
NekoRukiaChan
Registered Raccoon

Not too early at all! I'd love to be part of a gathering of like Rumiko Takahashi works, haha.
My cosplans are Sarada Uchiha (my friend loves Naruto, so I'd said I'd cosplay with her), Meryl Strife (if I can figure out her cape thingy), and Giselle from Bleach (that's tentative, though.) If anyone is cosplaying from Rumiko Takahashi, especially Rinne, I'd love to have a group. I want to cosplay Sakura Mamimiya, or my bae, Juumonji Tsubasa.