Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > New York Comic Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

NYCC 2013: Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on NYCC 2013!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the guests, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's NYCC!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
djlemma

I had a great time, so many awesome things about the con. One thing in particular that I wanted to mention was that the bag check folks were particularly awesome and helpful. In a city where everything costs at least $5, and everybody restricts everything, the bag check at NYCC was cheap (only $3/item) and they let you check big suitcases or heavy backpacks or whatever.. Plus, they even let me grab things out of my bag while it was still checked a couple times, which made my life so much easier. Also, they worked super fast.

This is all probably no big deal in other places, but the last time I had to check a bag in NYC it was a small satchel and they charged me $12 for it.
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Vendetta6

NYCC was pretty great this year. I will mention 2 things that could be improved upon:

1- The changing room. The nice people on this site told me where it would be but the people at NYCC, or at least 9/10, of them didn't know they even had a changing room. My friend Kim really needed the changing room and we had several NYCC crew looking for it, walking back and forth down hallways and up escalators. I swear, we were more tired trying to find the changing room, and we weren't even in costume yet. We finally found the changing room behind an unmarked door that people would probably mistake for an emergency exit or a janitor closet. It was really nice inside with curtained off stalls and a wall length mirror and cell phone charging station. But the 'changing room' sign was INSIDE the room. Whats the point of having a changing room, if you're not going to advertize it?

2- I'm trying not to complain about the food too much but I have to mention this. Some of the food places were actually closing up around 6p because they quote "ran out of food ingrediants' or as one cashier told me 'ran out of singles so they couldn't give change'. NYCC is not a new thing. Food vendors should know that it's gonna get mad crowded when grub time rolls around. Having enough food, enough money for change, and enough people to run the cash register and make food should be a no brainer here. It's only once a year so let's give it our all!
Vendetta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
djlemma

There was a changing room??? I had no idea!
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Ron Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlemma View Post
There was a changing room??? I had no idea!
There was actually a couple but only one that was public. I just changed at the 501st booth.

My only complaint about NYCC revolves around our Blast-A-Trooper. We wanted to do our Blast-A-Trooper event all day Friday to Sunday but were told that no room was available so we were given a space in the family center OK we can live with this as we were also told that we could set up our booth and no one would touch it. We were sharing the space with a few other groups including the Quiditich group. Well they moved our booth things and managed to damaged the sides so badly that we are considering throwing it all away and making new ones. These side railing cost me personally around 200.00 and a weekend of cutting and painting. Really annoyed as this is the second year that they have damaged our con gear.

And to make matters really worse there was plenty of room in the autograph hall were we could have set up and run the whole convention. What is positive is we raised close to 1,000.00 for Make A Wish.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Quinn The Spazz
Dr. Sexy, Vampire Hunter

My only complaint wasn't the con's fault but the huge debacle on Sunday with the pictures. My mom and I took our photo with John Barrowman at 4 and we finally left th con with our photos around 7. On Sunday. When the con closed at 5. The photo people could not get their crap together and come up with a system that worked.

That being said, the con staff that was handling the photo debacle were wonderful and I know they were trying their hardest and I really appreciate them sticking around so late to make sure everything got worked out.

But that was really my only problem. It was my first NYCC and I had a great time. I look forward to coming back in the future.
Yuu Kashima-Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki Kun, Natsumura Kusaribe-Zetsuen no Tempest, Henry Branwell-The Infernal Devices books, Professor Ozpin-RWBY, Drusilla-Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aziraphale-Good Omens, Woolsey Scott-The Infernal Devices books, Cure Passion-Fresh Pretty Cure! Q-Skyfall, Monk-Ghost Hunt, Magnus Bane-The Mortal Instruments books (various book outfits,)
Quinn The Spazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta6 View Post
NYCC was pretty great this year. I will mention 2 things that could be improved upon:

1- The changing room. The nice people on this site told me where it would be but the people at NYCC, or at least 9/10, of them didn't know they even had a changing room. My friend Kim really needed the changing room and we had several NYCC crew looking for it, walking back and forth down hallways and up escalators. I swear, we were more tired trying to find the changing room, and we weren't even in costume yet. We finally found the changing room behind an unmarked door that people would probably mistake for an emergency exit or a janitor closet. It was really nice inside with curtained off stalls and a wall length mirror and cell phone charging station. But the 'changing room' sign was INSIDE the room. Whats the point of having a changing room, if you're not going to advertize it?
Blame one of those mascot groups working for Bandai or another booth. THEY were the ones dragging that fucking sign back inside after I brought that shit out of the room at least 3 times.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
eebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Blame one of those mascot groups working for Bandai or another booth. THEY were the ones dragging that fucking sign back inside after I brought that shit out of the room at least 3 times.
Yeah. And they kept giving me dirty looks whenever I went in there to (gasp) change. They seemed to just want all the space for themselves.

Chosen, In Planning:
Red (with Subject Unknown), Tempus, Azir (with sand soldier[s])

Under Construction:
Ravager
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

Crowds aside, I didn't have as much of a problem as I thought I was going to this year.

Pros:

The badge tapping thing was brilliant. Didn't have to show my badge to go everywhere, so now I could keep my badge like in my pocket and out of any pictures I took.
The fact that anime/japanese related things are still a part of con, although obviously not advertised.
The fact that since this is now a comic book convention, there are almost no lines for anime guests. I was scared because I got to Mike McFarland and Spike Spencer's line 15 minutes before. But I was perfectly fine. And able to get four items ( two for each ) signed by the guests.
Yaya Han was a sweetheart. I probably could've gotten my Death Note signed by her for free, but I would've felt bad, so I bought a print, and she spelt my name wrong on it XD

Cons:

There were changing rooms? I changed in the bathrooms...
Homestuck took up an entire area that could be used for sitting for their shoots.
Badge said the con closes at 10 on Friday. I had gotten out of a panel at 8:45. Staff rudely kicked people out of the area, and that ruined my once in a life time chance for a photo op with the creator of one of my favorite video game series.
Forced to sit through a panel that I cared nothing for to get to the panel that I was there for by staff for some odd reason. And because of that, I missed out on a potential chance to win a prize.
Having to go up and down escalators to get to other side of convention center.

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
Tallakahath

So, I've never done NYCC before, only AX, and therefore some of my expectations may be out-of-line. Anyway...

Pros:
- The crowds were handled REALLY well. Though the expo hall slowed up a bit in places, everything was well spaced and movement was actually possible. Going in cosplay, in most aisles when I was stopped for a picture there was somewhere out-of-traffic I could back up into. (this was not the case at all at AX which had really bad crowd flow)

- Badge tap was genius. Its benefits have already been lauded by other posters.

- Temperature. The con was reasonably cool in all locations, which is really tough when you have that sort of person density. AX certainly failed at this at times.

Cons:
- On the friday all the people entering were shunted up to 38th, which wasn't made clear nearly early enough and the foot traffic got insane outside the center. Also, having to double all the way north and then back south was really hard on those of us in awkward shoes

- LINES. Two issues:
* Rooms weren't cleared between sessions, so a lot of unscrupulous folk were attending panels before the one they wanted to get good seats/skip the line. This meant that lines for the panel-of-interest were getting capped 30 min BEFORE said panel was scheduled to begin, and sometimes earlier; also not everyone even on a line before the cap was guaranteed entry. Line staffers often didn't know what was going on (whether their post was a hard cap or a "standing room only"), though through no fault of their own.
* Lines were just too long/you had to show up way too early to get into some of the good panels. Bigger rooms are needed OR multiple attempts at some of the panels. Showing up 25 min before a popular panel shouldn't leave you high and dry; its impossible to attend the con if you need to waste more than half an hour + panel time per panel.

- Swag + Maps. Although we eventually found the lanyards, my friend and I were never able to get any sort of con schedule or layout on anything but our phones. If these existed they were NOT well-advertised.

- CELL PHONE SERVICE. Get some repeaters or something. Considering that things like the cosplay contest ran off of texted votes, the fact that cellphone internet/basic services weren't useable half the time is very bad. Also, cons are huge and the only way a lot of people have to find each other are cellphones.

- Weapons check/peacebonding. Seriously, that shit was a joke; my friend walked through the security area with what could've very, VERY easily been a real sword/live steel for all the checking they did. We actually first accidentally missed weapons check entirely and had to go back and find it in the security area.
Tallakahath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Yeah. And they kept giving me dirty looks whenever I went in there to (gasp) change. They seemed to just want all the space for themselves.
They were using it for storage as well, which probably had something to do with it, and I don't think they're supposed to. I mean I did too for Thursday, but it was a jacket and a pair of boots under the table, so not exactly a huge thing.

Also cuting the room in half was also annoying, but I'll deal.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
Ron Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallakahath View Post
Cons:

- LINES. Two issues:
* Rooms weren't cleared between sessions, so a lot of unscrupulous folk were attending panels before the one they wanted to get good seats/skip the line. This meant that lines for the panel-of-interest were getting capped 30 min BEFORE said panel was scheduled to begin, and sometimes earlier; also not everyone even on a line before the cap was guaranteed entry. Line staffers often didn't know what was going on (whether their post was a hard cap or a "standing room only"), though through no fault of their own.
* Lines were just too long/you had to show up way too early to get into some of the good panels. Bigger rooms are needed OR multiple attempts at some of the panels. Showing up 25 min before a popular panel shouldn't leave you high and dry; its impossible to attend the con if you need to waste more than half an hour + panel time per panel.

-- CELL PHONE SERVICE. Get some repeaters or something. Considering that things like the cosplay contest ran off of texted votes, the fact that cellphone internet/basic services weren't useable half the time is very bad. Also, cons are huge and the only way a lot of people have to find each other are cellphones.
NYCC has never cleared the room before a panel and this is always a sore point. Last year the Avengers panel was held in the big theater in the late afternoon people were going straight there and basically camping the whole day for that one panel. NYCC has already said this policy will not change because it takes to long to clear a room. None of us like it but we are stuck with it. BTW I have been to every NYCC.

You might not believe this but cell service was much better this year IF you have Verizon as your carrier.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
Kaze Saffire
...Rose.

Yeah. Last year I had an android/smart phone ( Verizon ) and I got reception no where except on the upper floor(s) This year with an Iphone ( still verizon ) I had reception EVERYWHERE. Just had on and off internet in the basement. I was able to text people no problem.

Katsucon 20:

Thursday: Hamtaro
Friday - Default Alibaba Salujah
Fog Troupe Alibaba Salujah

Facebook meh XD http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00003760496949
Kaze Saffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
eebee

Yeah, the cell service was unbelievably better. I actually got real phone calls to go through and was able to meet up with people!

Chosen, In Planning:
Red (with Subject Unknown), Tempus, Azir (with sand soldier[s])

Under Construction:
Ravager
eebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Pros-
-Friends live in NY so we didn't have to drop 1000 bucks for hotel. Awesome.

-Almost body checked Stan Lee. Awesome.

-Dealers room was really neat with all the 10 foot tall statues and give aways. Got a bunch of free actual book books from starting up authors. Mixed feeling about those...one was a Star Wars novel (I have never read one of those), but the cover says "New York Best seller, turely an amazing Star Wars novel." And I'm like....oh? Another one was called Demon Lover. Pretty much a 50 Shades of Gray but with huge cocked demons. Nerd -erotica? Meh, I'll give it a shot. Why not.

-Some comic booths dropped their prices on Saturday! That was great cause I picked up all the hardcover Runaways for 7 bucks a pop.

-I didn't run into any autism 10 year old nerds or bitchy cosplayers. Everyone was very nice and all the cosplayers were very happy that I asked them for photos.

-One of my favorite artist was in the alley. Not only did we shoot the shit for like 20 minutes, but he was really nice. Brain Shearer is an inker for Transformers MTMTE and shit, he's cool. I didn't fan boy all over him and he didn't act like he had better things to do than to talk to a fan of his work. Got myself a print he did of Swerve and he signed it. Fantastic.

-I also got the nerdiest shirt I have ever owned in my life- an Assssine's Creed Bobo Fett. Fuck it, it made me very happy. It was a CC exclusive too, so that added a little to it as well.

-And walking around with my NY friends was awesome. We all have real life "work" lives so it was amazing that the word "work" didn't come up ONCE in four days. All we talked about who would in a fight between IronMan if he could tag team Gypsy Danger vs Dracula who was as powerful as Darth Vader AND the Hulk.

-Tried the SciFi speed dating for shits and giggles. I don't know if I just went on a good day, but I only talked to super nice, cute and pretty girls. I got some numbers (called two of them.) Niiiiice. And now the cons.

Cons-

Pretty boring panels. What the FUCK is up with Press Day Thursday? Awful. All the panels were about how to get your child into the 3D arts of making games and learning tools! I was like...the fuck is this? I came four hours early for THIS?!

-Standing in line for panels. Well, not the actual standing part, more about how unfair it was? I'm kinda torn about how I feel about it, cause it worked for my advantage at the end. We got in line for cosplay conest for good seats. But the people in line for the cosplay, were allowed to go into the Adult Swim panel. We didn't know that until we sat down and we watched all the sneak peeks. That was fine, until we heard that all the people in line for the cosplay contest, took all the seats for the AS panel and the people who actually wanted to see the AS panel couldn't get it. Then they didn't kick us out after the panel was over so everyone stayed, so then only like 10 new people were allowed for the cosplay contesting, when like 100 people stood in line for like an hour at this point.I know I would have been pissed if I was waiting.

-The cosplay contest was a hot mess. And I'm from /cgl/ so I was peeved off when my normal friends were just super board with it. It wasn't worth the wait, lemme tellya.

-Star Wars panel was hella lame. They showed concept art of the fucking SHIPS the whole time. They showed the villain for like three minutes of the new show and nobody gave a shit cause he's your average Larry Stu vampire thing. And I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I got all excited for it and theeeeeen nothing.

Oh, one pro/con at the same time. Brian Posehn was part of the Stand Up show and he was fucking awesome. You know, when you're at a con for NERDS it really funny when a stand up guy like him talks about Star Wars and others talked about Duck Tales and comics. That was just great. Then this one stupid lady came on an talked about Whole Foods? Nobody laughed and she went on to 30 fucking minutes.