Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Unread 08-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #1516
RaDragon76
Outlaw Robin

You're welcome, chinna The expense is one of several reasons I don't bother with contacts myself for any costume that I do especially since I don't even wear them normally in the first place.
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #1517
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

Plus, (even though I don't think contacts are completely necessary for any costume, mainly because of the fact that some people can't wear them and that they can cause some eye problems for those people, and the cost can be a bit high), there are characters for which eye color is more important. Suki's eyes aren't really one of her trademark features even as much as characters like Zuko and Toph.
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #1518
chinna

ok so another judging question; do they heavily judge the shades of the colors of the fabric in comparison to your ref pics? Or is it like as long as you can support your reason for change its alright?
Im almost ready to start getting materials and stuff. I'm just trying to decide the best way to take to direction of the colors cuz there's a difference cuz of lighting from when the kyoshi's are in the training area vs them being outside.
inside: http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/104/053.jpg
outside: http://screenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/104/034.jpg

I like the inside color scheme better. I rather like it and it be inaccurate so I guess I'll just make that one. Because I dont want to spend all my making a cosplay i dont really like.
San - princess mononoke (99%)
chinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #1519
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

You got it right there when you said, "I don't want to spend my money making a cosplay that I don't really like."

My Toph cosplay, which is the only one that I've won an award with, had a completely wrong shade for the over layer (I also didn't have contacts). I explained to the judges that I thought that this color worked better with the shade of green that I had chosen, which in turn looked better with my skin.
When they asked me about my wig, I told them that I made the poof smaller because I thought that it looked more realistic, and given the chance I will always sacrifice accuracy for the sake of believability.

So here's what I'd do: Make it look good. Make it a cosplay that you'll love to wear and love to own and love that you made. Enter it in the Masquerade and have fun. At every Masq that I've been to, the judges are cosplayers themselves and will understand things like little color differences or artistic changes that you made.
They will, however, notice sloppy work like hot-glued hems and things like that.
So focus on making it look good, not on being necessarily 100% accurate.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #1520
chinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodici22 View Post
So here's what I'd do: Make it look good. Make it a cosplay that you'll love to wear and love to own and love that you made. Enter it in the Masquerade and have fun. So focus on making it look good, not on being necessarily 100% accurate.
Thank you for the advice this is exactly what'll I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodici22 View Post
They will, however, notice sloppy work like hot-glued hems and things like that.
*silent scream* NEVER!!!!! haha
Unread 08-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #1521
MythrilDragon
Psy...duck?

If anybody is looking for some ideas for the skirt for a Kyoshi Warrior cosplay, I found this tutorial on deviantart for a fake hakama (skirt or pants versions).
Although the outfits on the show don't specifically appear to be hakama (sometimes it's a little difficult to tell exactly what they are), this seems to work pretty well for the costume in terms of overall look and fullness, at least so far as I can tell after making one.

I'm still having a little trouble creating the robe part, though. I used taeliac's fake kimono pattern as a base, and it actually doesnt look so bad, but I think I'll have to make some modifications to make the robe fit better. I've considered doing the robe in two pieces (a bodice sewn onto a split skirt), but I'm still figuring it out. Does anybody have any other good ideas (I also have a Simplicity kimono pattern that can be modified).
MythrilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #1522
chinna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythrilDragon View Post
If anybody is looking for some ideas for the skirt for a Kyoshi Warrior cosplay, I found this tutorial on deviantart for a fake hakama (skirt or pants versions).
Although the outfits on the show don't specifically appear to be hakama (sometimes it's a little difficult to tell exactly what they are), this seems to work pretty well for the costume in terms of overall look and fullness, at least so far as I can tell after making one.

I'm still having a little trouble creating the robe part, though. I used taeliac's fake kimono pattern as a base, and it actually doesnt look so bad, but I think I'll have to make some modifications to make the robe fit better. I've considered doing the robe in two pieces (a bodice sewn onto a split skirt), but I'm still figuring it out. Does anybody have any other good ideas (I also have a Simplicity kimono pattern that can be modified).
The tutorial seems great! Thx!

I was thinking of using the Simplicity kimono pattern, also and just taking out the center and adjusting.

I was trying to come up with a way to make the armor i have a basic idea but if anyone has a tutorial that would be awesome
Unread 08-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #1523
Tias

Hello people =o
I'm sure this has been asked many times ( yes, i HAVE tried to look around, but i suck at it so i couldn't find anything)

But i would really like to cosplay Zuko(the one he has in book 3)

Sadly i can't find any pattern for his cosplay = /
I'm new to sewing ( so far i've only sewn a scarf and a jacket ), but really wanna cosplay him. I've been looking around on the net and i've found a few good Zuko cosplays, but nothing much.

I myself am not the best sewer yet, but i have a friend who's good who can help me
I would really like to know which fabrics people would recommend me for his cosplay.
Money isn't the biggest issue, cause i really want the cosplay to turn out well.
I would however say that i want a fabric that dosn't end up wrinkled so easely.

I mean the first time i bought a cosplay, i had no idea how fabric and all that stuff worked.
I got a nylon cosplay, and didn't know using an iron to straighten the cosplay out was a bad idea, so i kinda messed that one up. and It has a lot of wrinkles and it seriously looks really bad = /
Same for another cosplay i have that also has a bunch now.

I guess the best option would be cotton, since it looks smooth, and even if it gets wrinkled, you can easely use an iron and it can easely be washed and etc.

But yeah whatever, let the recommendations roll in? ._.
Tias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #1524
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

Cotton or cotton blends are the best possible fabrics you can use for Airbender cosplays. The fabric hangs better, flows right, and looks amazing. With some of the pieces you will need to have at least three layers of broad cloth to achieve the right look, especially with the over the shoulder cloak thing Zuko wears. Wool is also an option for the over the shoulder thing, though wool is expensive, hot, and heavy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently made a Fire Nation Toph cosplay. I really like the was it's turning out. I'm not done yet though. I have to redo the wig and other the shoulder thing since it doesn't hang right. I also have to make the headband and arm band as well as bottomless shoes. I need to get contacts as well. I was able to wear Toph to my first con and got some awesome pictures. Linky Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for improvement let me know too. Please keep it friendly and constructive as this is my third cosplay.
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.

Last edited by Narnian : 08-23-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #1525
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

My personal favorite fabric for Airbender cosplays is a Linen/Cotton blend that I usually find at Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts. It's what I used on my Toph cosplay and for most of my Ty Lee...
It wrinkles, but not as badly as nylon or polyester. It actually is about as bad as broadcloth in the wrinkle department.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #1526
harmonyisarine

I second a linen/cotton for most of Avatar, and a wool for Water Tribe, but for Fire Nation I'd really stick with a fine weave cotton or a silk (but those are more expenisve). Broadcloth is a little too heavy to look quite right, considering that the Fire Nation seems to be in a slightly more tropical latitude on their world.

Narnia, I love the Toph and am going to shoot you a PM with a critique. ^_^
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #1527
Tias

Thanks for the help guys =)
I guess i'll most likely go with Cotton or something along those lines. Cause i want something i can easely get wrinkles out of, but i also want something smooth looking =o.
Sure, cotton gets wrinkles, but it can always be ironed out.

@Narnian
when you say over the shoulder thing, do you mean that extra piece of clothing, the thing with the darker red and yellow thingy? And if so, what exactly do you mean with 3 layers. Like, i have to cut 3 layers of fabric and sew them on top of each other to make it look thicker/heavier? or

Also, on the link you gave me, the fabric you use for the "over the shoulder thing" ( gonna asume it's the vest you mean ) what did you use, cotton?
It might just be me, but for some reason that part looks smoother then the other fabric.

So yeah, cotton it is i guess.
And now i need to find a pattern <_<
Unread 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #1528
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

I used cotton/ broadcloth for the whole cosplay. The over the shoulder thing is what both Zuko and Toph wear over their shoulders. It is very long and is comprised of dark red and gold bands.

The over the shoulder things are comprised of three bands two dark red with one gold band in the middle. What I did was cut out six very long strips of fabric for the dark red part and three strips of fabric for the gold part. I separated the dark red strips into two piles with three strips per band. I sewed two strips from each pile together at one side. I then attached the gold bands that were two pieces of fabric basted together to one side of each of the bands to form one side of the over the shoulder thing. Next I repeated the process again for the other side of the over the shoulder thing.

If that doesn't make sense please let me know. I'm thinking about making a video tutorial of how to make Toph's over the shoulder thing. It is very close to Zuko's so the tutorial will help with Zuko's.

There is an image in the attachments denoting the over the shoulder thing Toph wears. It is circled in bright red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg overtheshoulderimage.jpg (149.2 KB, 0 views)
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #1529
Tias

Ah okey so it is that vest like thing they are both wearing.
And a video would help alot i think xD
I mean sure i can talk and write english very well, but it seems like i lose track whenever it gets really really detailed xD

But ay, seems like Cotton is most likely the way to go.
I'll have to look for a fabric store. there is one close to the city i live in, but they aren't the biggest fabric store, so i actually have to travel to a even bigger city >_>.
And hope they have the right fabric, most likely they will.

Also, for the colors.
I know his under garment is a more lighter red, but any idea what type of red it is?
And his vest just seems to be a dark/brown red'ish one. And the yellow stribes a more golden dark yellow.
I thought of maybe getting a different fabric for the yellow thingy on the vest. Something with a texture on maybe, not sure.
Unread 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #1530
Hotaru230
has healthy scepticism

here is my Kyoshi warrior armor progress pic. I made mine deconstructing medical brace cushioning and coving them with fake leather material. the belt and the guantlets are made
from real leather. the shoulder parts are foam pieces that would be used for roller blading safety gear.
http://hotaru230.deviantart.com/#/d2xdpec

for those who have made a Kyoshi warrior costume, how many inches did you make the width measurement of how much longer the inner skirt/hakama is than the outer robe?
http://tvmedia.ign.com/tv/image/arti...1202229592.jpg

costumes for this year: Ron (red version of Len Vocaloid), Neru (Vocaloid), Sakura (Card Captors), Kinon (post time skip gurren lagenn), One Piece villian, Miss Mary Marvel,
Mystique (XMEN), Cassandra (Soul Calibur III)

Planned Cons of 2010:
Freecon
A-kon (a big maybe)
DragonCon
EXPcon

Last edited by Hotaru230 : 08-27-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: add a question
Hotaru230 is offline   Reply With Quote