Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender

Unread 10-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #1546
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

@Han-Pan - Awesome!!! It looks great, especially for the construction span! Great job!!!!
Natsu (SCV)/Christa (AoT)/Tsubaki (SE)

~Con Plans~
Sakura-con 2014/Fanime 2014

Cosplay reference photos. Please do not hotlink.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #1547
Cubed_Link
Son of Gallifrey

han-pan - that looks fantastic great job!

"A sword weilds no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage."

"I am a Time Lord. I'm not a human being. I walk in eternity."
Cubed_Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #1548
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by han-pan View Post
Thanks! Lol. I hope it enjoys the convention scene with how unbelievably comfortable it is o.o three only way I can figure having it go tou the side and stay would be to have it zip up. that'd be really firm!

Ooohhhh im excited to seee! I love resin casying but im too much the wimp to ever try xD I just make stuff outta airdry clay.
I first tried to tie my Katara (to the side) with ribbon, but they showed up in pics and kept coming loose. Then I tried making a more historically accurate tie with the spare wool (like how Aang's outfit is tied in the Airbender movie), but the wool was far too thick to tie nicely. In the end, I sewed a few hook and eye clasps to the seam (on the bus to Otakon ^_^;. They show now and again, but it keeps the tunic shut. ^_^

And the resin turned out awesome but I gave the daggers to Zuko without getting a picture. oops... The lightning is amazing, I just have to sand down the sharp edges, string up the "satellite cracklies," as they've been named, and get rid of the Sculpey that stuck to the edges...

In fact, for Katara I had a resin water whip (forgot it on the bus back from Otakon) that I molded with homemade playdough and plastic wrap. Polyester resin peels right off the plastic wrap that we use (I've not tested other brands yet), so molding with raw Sculpey or playdough and lining it with plastic is really effective.
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #1549
han-pan

Narnian & Cubed Link: Thank you so much!

harmony: Make Zuko take a picture of the knives! I want to seeee

I think I'm either going to go with velcro or clips to hold mine shut :3 I have a tie on the inside around the waist but it's not positioned quite exactly where it should be. Considering moving that too.

I'm also looking at wigs....what on Earth would we say that thing is on Katara's forehead with her braid hairstyle? Is that just her part? Or are those teensy bangs? http://www.freewebs.com/avatararza/people/Katara.png

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #1550
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

@Han-Pan - I've always thought it was her part.

~Con Plans~

Unread 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #1551
harmonyisarine

Going with part, too.

If the waist tie is off, move it. Mine's slightly misplaced and I'm always having to pull it around to make it lay right.

And I'll post here when I get pics of the resin props up. ^_^ Heh, I broke the handle off the better of the two fire daggers the night before I was to give them to Zuko (I dropped it on cement). Luckily super glue seemed to hold it on just fine...
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 09:08 AM   #1552
ChibiInuTsuzuki
Slytherin for life

Han Pan and I finished our costumes for NYCC And they turned out really well. What do you guys think?

Katara, Toph and Suki
Blue Rose - Tiger & Bunny
Armin Arlert - Attack on Titan
Rikku - Final Fantasy X
ChibiInuTsuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #1553
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

@Chibi - You guys did well!

~Con Plans~

Unread 11-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #1554
thoetmosis

Hmm, i'm planning to cosplay a Dai Li agent ^^
thoetmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #1555
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

Thoe - Oooh! Sounds awesome!!!! There aren't many Dai Li Agents around. Go for it!

~Con Plans~

Unread 11-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #1556
thoetmosis

Thank you
thoetmosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #1557
Narnian
Secret Ninja Princess

You're welcome!!!! It would be awesome to see a Dai Li cosplay!

~Con Plans~

Unread 11-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #1558
ubercaledor
That guy over there

Just a quick question, I'm doing Day of Black Sun Sokka for an upcoming con. With the fabric that hangs down from the helmet to cover the neck, I've seen numerous cosplayers use fur for the trim, the same as with the poncho and jerkin. No matter how closely I study the refs, I can't find a single instance where the trim is actually depicted as having the volume or motion of fur, and instead seems to be a flat fabric with a pointy pattern similar to Christmas holly-leaf shapes.

Am I just imagining this, or does anyone else agree? I am trying to make it as realistic/true as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to spend the entire con with people going "Why didn't you do the trim in fur"... well, I probably would anyway, but I wanted to know if anyone else agrees regardless.

/Rant

Thanks!!
ubercaledor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #1559
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercaledor View Post
I don't want to spend the entire con with people going "Why didn't you do the trim in fur"... well, I probably would anyway, but I wanted to know if anyone else agrees regardless.

/Rant

Thanks!!
I don't think that anyone is going to ask that.

Especially with the Avatar costumes, it's so subjective that what looks like fur to one person might not be fur at all to someone else. Within the reference pictures, too, things are so inconsistent that there's really not a definite "right" and "wrong" for how things should be.
Here, for example, are 3 reference pictures of Ty Lee's skirt. The same skirt:

The color changes. The number of petals changes (maybe not in those shots, but in some there's clearly only 4, while there's 5 the rest of the time). The length and shape of the petals changes, as does the space between them at the top of the skirt. What I did on mine was make the petals shaped like a pentagon with three right angles, but some people made the side points wider than the top. I never get "why didn't you do it this way?" even from other cosplayers. I didn't even have the judges at the masquerade ask that while they were looking at the reference pictures. I get a lot of OMFG TY LEE!!!

Anyway, that's my long, roundabout way of saying that I don't think that anyone is going to ask you why you didn't trim it in fur.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #1560
ubercaledor
That guy over there

Thanks Bodici. I was just wondering if it was something that I missed. Since I haven't been inundated with people going "omg, it's totally fur, wtf were you thinking?" that gives me a lot of reassurance.

I'm really trying to make this costume as good as possible because it's one of those ones where you go to the con and you're certain there's going to be two, maybe three of your character there and you don't wanna be the one that's hot-glued together, if you know what I mean.

I've already finished the helmet and am halfway through doing the shield. GIGANTIC PROPS FTW!
ubercaledor is offline   Reply With Quote