Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

How necessary are colored lenses?

I have a medium/strong prescription and a bad astigmatism. While colored contacts are available for astigmatism now, my left eye prescription is more severe than the maximum available. Even then, they are only available in the most basic colors. I can't see without glasses or contacts so, as far as I can tell, it's either regular toric lenses or colored contacts+glasses. My inner perfectionist squirms at the latter.

If this was you, which option would you choose and would you judge a person for not wearing color lenses?
TARDIS (Doctor Who)

Up for consideration:
Kimono version of Elsa's ice dress (Frozen)
The 'Patchwork' girl from "Beautiful People" by Mitsukazu Mihara
Pre-bite Ginger Fitzgerald (Ginger Snaps)
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Rukeya

Most people here will probably tell you that color contacts aren't going to ruin a cosplay. It will certainly help with the illusion, but it's not a necessity.

It really all depends on which negative aspect you want to deal with. You either wear your normal lenses and not have to worry about the glasses or get some non-prescription lenses and remove your glasses for photos.

Personally, I would probably go for regular lenses so I wouldn't have to deal with my glasses.

There might also be advice folks can give you on the astigmatism - maybe there's another, better, option out there.
Rukeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

They really aren't that necessary. You can always photoshop your eye color. As much as it might bother you, glasses+lenses sounds like your best case scenario if you really want to have the lenses. You can always take off your glasses for photos--I had to do it for several hours for a work-related photoshoot!

While lenses are nice, if you can't see clearly with them, it's not so much fun because you can't see how you look clearly without glasses. No one will hate you for not having the right lenses on. If you can't get them, just stick with regular lenses since photography can always be retouched.

I just got back from a con and girls who were dressed as the same character didn't have lenses, I did. Why would I judge them for one little thing? (I did judge the friends of one, because they pointed me out and started talking in hushed tones, which I found rude.) It would be silly! So they don't have lenses, so what? We're all here for fun.

Yes, I did buy my lenses for more accuracy but I also needed new lenses to see; I just ripped my last clear lens.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Kelley
Devil of Details

It depends on the costume - if the character has something like red, purple, or all-over colour it can certainly add a lot. If it's a more normal colour a few people might notice or tell you that your eyes look pretty or ask if you're wearing contacts, but chances are most people won't - and unless the picture is close-up you might not be able to even tell what colour your eyes are - and like others have said you can use post-processing to change them digitally.

I would just wear your regular contacts that you likely already own.

I can see without my glasses well enough but am considering getting fit for contacts so I can have the option of seeing well without glasses especially if I am going to be watching something far away (like on a stage) while in costume. I've also realised that I literally cannot tell most of the time what colour an actor's eyes are in a live-action production. Unless they do a lot of close-ups and I have one on file most of the time it's not even detectable ! This has important implications not just if you're doing live-action costumes, but because YOU are "live action" when getting your picture taken - and unless it's in a controlled photo-shoot it's probably not going to even read what colour your eyes are !

Lots of times in live-action they alter eye colour in post-processing as well or use makeup tricks - so you shouldn't feel ashamed of doing the same thing that Hollywood does.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Or if your character is inhuman and has a striking eye shape it can help. But honestly unless it really a striking feature I'd skip them.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Win a Ticket to FanExpo!
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

Thank you everyone. It's such a relief to know that it's not as vital as I would have thought. I'll probably stick to my regular lenses because I know I'd feel more confident and secure than I would wearing my glasses. I think, to me, the glasses would be more jarring at a glance. Fortunately, only one of my options I'm considering definitely has different colored eyes than me (blue, mine are dark brown) and the others are manga only series.
TARDIS (Doctor Who)

Up for consideration:
Kimono version of Elsa's ice dress (Frozen)
The 'Patchwork' girl from "Beautiful People" by Mitsukazu Mihara
Pre-bite Ginger Fitzgerald (Ginger Snaps)
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
creatingchaos

yeah dont worry about it, a lot of my friends are fairly well known and dont wear lenses just because their a hassle and expensive! i sure dont, i have really sensitive eyes. nobody will look down on you at all!
creatingchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

For health reasons, I would suggest you don't use contacts. They aren't needed really uwu. I had a bad sty a few years ago and being the idiot I was, went all day wearing ONE-Day green lenses. ((Ok, So I was fairly young and my first time in this cosplay uwu'')) Put them in at 11, by one I was cryin in the bathroom at the con and my friend had to get them out for me. It burned so much that I always buy good contacts and only after I have my eyes check/
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident-chick View Post
For health reasons, I would suggest you don't use contacts. They aren't needed really uwu. I had a bad sty a few years ago and being the idiot I was, went all day wearing ONE-Day green lenses. ((Ok, So I was fairly young and my first time in this cosplay uwu'')) Put them in at 11, by one I was cryin in the bathroom at the con and my friend had to get them out for me. It burned so much that I always buy good contacts and only after I have my eyes check/
Your advice is a bit confusing here. OP said they were going to wear their regular lenses instead of getting special colored ones for their costume. It is unclear why you would suggest that they not wear contact lenses at all. Some people only use contact lenses for their vision correction or really prefer their lenses over glasses, which sounds like OP's case (see their comment about glasses). OP probably "needs" some manner of vision correction so why should it not be their regular lenses? With proper handling and care, contact lenses can be worn without any health issues. Obviously if one has an eye issue going on, it is advisable to not wear any lenses, no matter the quality, until said issue is resolved with an eye doctor's supervision but to say, "Don't do it at all because of reason x that happened to me" is a bit odd.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Kelley
Devil of Details

If you're properly fitted for contact lenses and wear them correctly they're not a health issue. Yes, people have had extraordinary circumstances, but you could also have something random happen like be stabbed with part of your costume or fall down stairs.

If you were never fitted for lenses then they probably didn't fit. It's definitely ALWAYS our advice here to get fitted. Don't just buy random internet lenses and expect them to work with your eyes if you have no idea what you should be getting in the first place - THAT is a major health risk and a really terrible idea.

It IS a safe option (when it comes to eye health) to wear "plano" coloured lenses even if you have vision that COULD be corrected - that won't damage your eyes, you just won't have vision correction which might be a safety issue on its own for some people, but that's independent of the concept of "contact lenses".

However, if you've been fitted for lenses they're not unsafe and no reason to warn people away from them. I have worn one-day lenses all day without an issue - do you mean you wore one-day lenses for MULTIPLE days ? 11am to 1am... 1pm ? Did you wear them overnight ?

Actually in the pipes:
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

I have bad astigmatism and don't bother with colored lenses. If somebody has an issue with that, they can fight me. I'll win.

Nobody has ever said to me "so and so has green eyes, you are being really inaccurate!!!"
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
Resident-chick
They canceled Ugly Betty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
Your advice is a bit confusing here. OP said they were going to wear their regular lenses instead of getting special colored ones for their costume. It is unclear why you would suggest that they not wear contact lenses at all. Some people only use contact lenses for their vision correction or really prefer their lenses over glasses, which sounds like OP's case (see their comment about glasses). OP probably "needs" some manner of vision correction so why should it not be their regular lenses? With proper handling and care, contact lenses can be worn without any health issues. Obviously if one has an eye issue going on, it is advisable to not wear any lenses, no matter the quality, until said issue is resolved with an eye doctor's supervision but to say, "Don't do it at all because of reason x that happened to me" is a bit odd.
Sorry, I meant as its better it's just used your regular lenses then colored ones. When I said "For health reasons, I would suggest you don't use contacts. " I meant don't use the colored ones. Of course you're gonna use your normal one's if you need it oAo! I think my wording and what not wasn't clear, apologies.

I was only trying to somehow relate to the subject. If its for your health and everything, just go with what you have and don't risk something bad happening for five or six hours of being in a costume. Being the stubborn idiot I was, I refused to go out of the room without looking as in character as possible, even if it was majorly bad that I did so.
Book of Life- La Muerte- 0%
Nightvale- Welcome to Nightvale- 0%
Resident-chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Kelley
Devil of Details

But... coloured lenses are not drastically different or essentially less safe than "regular" ones. In fact, optometrists themselves often sell a wide variety of "everyday" coloured lenses and even "Halloween" ones. Heck, mine even sells sclera lenses.

Since they are a quality product and properly fitted I have worn "colour" contacts all day - for 12 hours or so. They are no different than "normal" ones in that regard. Only "oversize" ones really start getting into comfort/safety issues that would impact being able to wear them all day.

There are some kinds of contacts, like ones with a semi-opaque or mesh part that covers that iris that it wouldn't be safe to do something like drive while you are wearing them - but they are still not unsafe to WEAR.

Actually in the pipes: