Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Yaoi-Con

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Yaoi-Con is moving to Los Angeles in 2012. Your thoughts?

For those of you who did/did not attend Yaoi-Con this weekend, it was announced that Digital Manga (DMI) has plans to move Yaoi-Con to the Los Angeles area next year. While it's not 100% confirmed, it's more than likely going to happen.

Please post your thoughts & reaction, but please keep it civil. The Y-con staff may also post here to offer explanations and listen to feedback as-well.

My thoughts are I'm disappointed that yet another Nor. CA/Bay Area convention is moving to So. CA/LA area in 2012. First with WonderCon moving to Anaheim for 2012 (just for one year (for now)) but now Yaoi-Con, which has been in San Francisco for 11 years, is going away.
I liked having it local to me (20 minute drive) and not having to spend a lot of $$ on travel and parking.

I don't know how DMI plans to make the con "bigger and better" but already the plans for moving it to LA have disappointed a lot of people, myself included.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 10-25-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
DayDreamerNessa
daydreamer

While I'm disappointed, and other people local to it as well are disappointed, I feel like it'll do well despite moving, because it is a niche genre among conventions, so attendee's will still go cause of the limited opportunity to attend a con like it.

Unless it's presence here is why it's been successful for the years it's been in this area, but I guess we wouldn't know till it's first year if it moved and it's success elsewhere.

But seriously I don't want to lose all of our cons to southern California. For me there are so few cons that are still strong in northern california, Fanime is the most obvious, AOD is still going, and sac-anime is still going too. There was newcomer kintoki-con this year, but they have cancelled 2012. I'm thankful there's CBF to keep things entertaining though.

But Yaoi-con and Wondercon drew a crowd, and were well-established, so I'm sad to see theses changes considered.
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Kell-chan
Confirmed Bachelor

I simply can't attend Yaoi Con if they move it down south. I'm a student and a teacher, and this con already falls around midterms (for myself and my students). I pulled a lot of strings to attend this year, but if it moves I won't have the time available for travel.

It's a just a shame.

Next con: SacAnime Winter (Sacramento, CA)

What am I working on? Check my avatar!
Kell-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Mirai Noah
is a Newtype

Similar to WonderCon, I'm extremely disappointed. NorCal doesn't really have that many conventions as it is, and what little we do have keeps moving south. D: I more than likely will not be attending if it's held in LA next year, because I can only (barely) afford to go to SoCal once a year, and I'm committed to going to AX.
Fanime
Anime Expo
SacAnime Summer
Mirai Noah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai Noah View Post
Similar to WonderCon, I'm extremely disappointed. NorCal doesn't really have that many conventions as it is, and what little we do have keeps moving south. D: I more than likely will not be attending if it's held in LA next year, because I can only (barely) afford to go to SoCal once a year, and I'm committed to going to AX.
I want to return, but yes, travelling to So. CA for cons when it adds up can be costly. I am planning on Anime LA, WonderCon, Anime Expo, and San Diego Comic Con for 2012, but any of those can be canceled due to lack of funds. With Yaoi-Con now on the list of conventions in So. CA, it's not a priority to me like the other cons due to the amount of fun & cosplayers I know I'll have at those cons. Yaoi-Con has been fun but mainly because of how close it's located to where I live. (like Fanime)

Taking away the closeness of a convention that you've enjoyed for many years takes away the fun.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

It's sad to see it go (if it does) since most of my group will be unable to attend if it does (myself included). With another con potentially moving to the south from my area, it does get a little discouraging, especially since Yaoi-con was during no other conventions and provided a nice trip when nothing else was going on. I hope it stays, otherwise I doubt I'll be going back if it ships down south.

Personally, I can't stand southern California (LA especially) so the whole idea of traveling there puts me off almost instantly. Hopefully some of these smaller conventions will pick up speed if the worst comes to worst and we have to replace conventions like WonderCon and Yaoi-con.

Last edited by Eau de Decus : 10-25-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
Personally, I can't stand southern California (LA especially) so the whole idea of traveling there puts me off almost instantly.
I don't mind going to So. CA if I can find a cheap airfare and room with friends to help cut costs. And most of the time I go I don't have any problems with the locals, con attendees, tourists, etc. I'll still go because the travel (if i fly) is pretty quick. Flying to say, Washington DC for Katsucon or Atlanta, GA for Dragon*Con is rougher..
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Eau de Decus
Her Second Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobeat King View Post
I'll still go because the travel (if i fly) is pretty quick. Flying to say, Washington DC for Katsucon or Atlanta, GA for Dragon*Con is rougher..
Ahhh, I envy you and you're ability to attend Dragon*Con. One day...!
Eau de Decus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau de Decus View Post
Ahhh, I envy you and you're ability to attend Dragon*Con. One day...!
I will admit that this year's Dragon*Con was not as fun as previous years (similar to my experiences with SDCC and Y-con in 2011) due to being overwhelmed by the # of people, the heat & humidity (and rain on one day), bad phone/text service, and missing cosplayers & their costumes.

An example like this, where going out of state (or down to So. CA) to a convention only to be disappointed makes you question if it's really worth going to.
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #10
playmysitardemy
Hahahaha......wait, what?

For me, this is better since I live about an hour from L.A. The drive up to San Fran was horrible, though I love the area, I just can't do another drive like that. My van needs major TLC, plus this cuts down on my own expenses (taxi services, gas money, possibly food). I do feel bad for those who are losing a local con, but I think it'd do well in L.A.

And if you're REALLY bored, my YouTube channel (beware, some boy love videos)

http://www.youtube.com/user/TamerKatsuya
playmysitardemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

I like the Bay area more than I like LA. I fly in from the East Coast, so it doesn't discourage me from going in terms of "is this more hassle" but I'm not sure the vibe will be the same.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Dany
..mind if I swoop?

My humble two cents on the matter....

I'm with EBK and curious as to what "bigger and better" things DMI has planned that might help to soften the blow of the move to SoCal for YaoiCon regulars who are reluctant to follow or on the fence. But given that the event only recently ended for this year, it will likely be some time before anything like that will be available.

At least YaoiCon has a bit of an advantage as it caters to a niche in the anime genre that is fairly popular, so their attendees lost\gained ratio has a good chance of staying level. So there is promise that the move will not cause a huge change in attendance numbers, just a change in the location demographics.

In regards to any concerns of other events moving south; If I were running an event in Northern California already, YaoiCon's move news plus WonderCon's migration (even temporary), would make me strongly consider staying put in the area for at least the next year, and focus on trying to attract those who are looking for alternatives to the lost conventions. Plus, I really can't think of any events that have given solid indications that they are considering a transplant. Some, like SF Cherry Blossom Fest, simply -can't- move. So I would not fear yet

I will miss YaoiCon, surely, and would -prefer- that they stay up here. But if the move is confirmed, then I wish them luck and hope that it is beneficial for the future of the event. If it turns out not to be? I'm sure the Bay Area will welcome them back with open arms if they wanted to return.

2013 Events:
Animation on Display, San Francisco Cherry Blossom Festival, Fanime, Japan Expo USA

http://www.2dmanor.com
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Trancyhivepro
Ciel Trancyhive

I personally like that the idea yaoi-con maybe movin to LA. I live in beach so ive never been to y-con and ive always wanted to go so now I have the chance if only for a year. I dont have the money to travel to san fran. A lot of people who live in la and other parts are happy they get to attend.( maybe) my fiance who cosplays as alois is taking me as a bday present if it hsppens ^.^
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #14
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

I'm excited about this. Very, very excited about this. I think in some small way, Ycon being here has somehow been a psychological anchor that gives me an excuse to not move out of this city. Now I have very little reason to stay.

And I personally love LA. The terrible city that it is.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM   #15
Yukari Kaiba
LIKE A BOSS

Really bummed out to see one more NorCal con make the move down south - Yaoi Con has always been a favorite of mine since its such a chill and low key con for me and a great one to socialize with friends at. That and it was a relatively cheap con for me to go to, as I live about 40 minutes away so travel expenses weren't ever really an issue. I most likely won't be going next year as my friends and I are already planning on doing a week in Anaheim for the Halloween event at Disneyland and probably couldn't afford both trips =/.

2013 Cosplay!
Kuroko Tetsuya (Kuroko no Basket)COMPLETE!
Alibaba Saluja (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic)COMPLETE!
Hige (Wolf's Rain)COMPLETE!
Sanada Yukimura, Revoltech limited edition variant (Sengoku BASARA)COMPLETE!
Subway Master Nobori (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Candlehead (Sugar Rush!/Wreck-It Ralph)COMPLETE!
Scrafty (Pokemon Black&White)COMPLETE!
Hatsune Miku, Magnet variant (Vocaloid)COMPLETE!
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

Last edited by Yukari Kaiba : 10-26-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Yukari Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote