Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 01-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Preview #1

This is a preview of the new Costume administration page. Please keep in mind that the overall design is not complete, so a lot of things like color scheme (buttons/icons) and font styling will likely change. Also, I do not have an ETA to give out at this time, but things are getting very close to completion.

(I apologize in advance for whoever's costumes are included in the example screenshots, I had to grab a few for samples. Also some of the images used are just generic photos.)

The costume administration is getting a complete expansion and overhaul. Most importantly, you will be able to upload images directly into your costumes, rather than having to select the costume from one main photo upload page.

The administration page shows you each of your costumes, along with their status, image count and comment count. One new thing that will be immediately apparent is the option to set a costume to private. This gives you the ability to work on a costume within the site, without it appearing anywhere other than within your own administration area. Once you are finished with it (or want it viewable publicly, your choice) you simply hit "Publish" and it will go live to everyone.

The icons are auto-created from an image that you upload, so no more having to crop those 200x200 icons.

The site is also responsive for mobile devices. When on a mobile device, the listing goes to a basic list, but you can expand each costume to view the basic info (the costume "Toki Wartooth" in this image shows the expanded info, which is toggled on each entry)

Now for the big one - each costume has its own section, which is referred to as a costume workbook. This has sub-sections for each costume, making it easier to do things like edit, add photos, and more. This new feature will be central to the site expansion, and more functionality will be added to it over time.

On the very left side of the page, you can see icons for all of your costumes. You can quickly flip through your costumes just by clicking an icon.

The "Header Image" page is where you upload the new "icon" - instead of using 200x200 icons, we will be using full images which will make up a part of the new front-end costume page display. Any icons are automatically scaled from this image. You can see an example of a header image at the top of the costume sidebar on the left.

The Photos tab gives you an easy place to upload images into a costume. Furthermore, the title and description for the photo will default to the title and description from your costume, saving time if you want to just use those. You can edit it further before uploading. Also notice below that one of the images has an overlay that says "View" and "Edit". When you hover over an image inside of your costume page, this gives you a quick way to either jump to the image on the front end of the site, or go straight to the photo's individual edit page to work on it further.

Costume Items is a new sub-section for costumes, and is completely optional. You can add entries for each individual piece of your costume, along with an image and a description. For example, you might add a closeup photo of the wig, the shirt, the boots and the prop you made for it. This gives you a way to expand your costume pages with more detail.

Events gives you a place to list which conventions/events you wore or plan to wear the costume at. These will then also appear on the individual event pages in a costume sub-page.

Projects is still being finalized, but it is an area where you can add things like task lists, notes, links to research, bookmarks, etc. This is a tool being built out for people who want to use the site to plan and organize their upcoming costumes.

The Comments area lists all of the comments for the costume, so you can quickly scan through them without having to go outside of the workbook area.

Publishing a costume to make it public is as simple as toggling the button on the left between Published and Private.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Workbook Mode Switching

On the left side where the costume icons are located, you can switch the site's mode into other modes. Clicking on the hamburger link up near the coscom logo expands the sidebar. At the top of the sidebar, you can switch workbook modes.

Here is Albums mode. Similar to the Costumes, you can flip through your albums to upload new images. This is just a quick sample, and I'll show more about albums and photo organization soon.

Unread 01-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Here is one final image for today, showing something on the front section of the site. This is a basic profile layout, and the site is set to night mode. You can switch between day/night in your settings.

A couple things of note - the sidebar in this one is the default "browse mode" sidebar, which simplifies the entire layout if you are logged in and just browsing around. And by popular demand - Journals are coming back.

I'll try to post a few more images Sunday/Monday showing other sections of the site.
Unread 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Admin, this is AWESOME. Thank you so much for all of your hard work! Can't wait to see the rest!
  • Arsene (Persona 5): ??% (---) Katsucon 2018
  • Uniform (Little Witch Academia): 18% (Sewing) ???
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
lunaflora

This really does look amazing, and dare I say sexy?
lunaflora is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
Sea Maiden

Thank you, Admin. It is coming together beautifully! I look forward to seeing more.

{ ~ Work in Progress ~ }
Princess Eilonwy, The Black Cauldron (Commissioned)

{ ~ Upcoming Cosplays ~ }
Anya ("Journey to the Past"), Anastasia
Anya ("Once Upon a December"), Anastasia
Rose DeWitt Bukater ("Sinking"), Titanic
Sea Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Wow, looks amazing. Can't wait for it to go live. Looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Thank you for all the hard work you do.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Zoeyromanov

It looks pretty good, though will the Marketplace get a revamp too? I liked the Marketplace beforehand where you had photos of what you're willing to sell up straight where as now it's just description first, then link to photos (you had to describe beforehand as well, but still).

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains
Revolver (genderbent), Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #9
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
It looks pretty good, though will the Marketplace get a revamp too? I liked the Marketplace beforehand where you had photos of what you're willing to sell up straight where as now it's just description first, then link to photos (you had to describe beforehand as well, but still).
I honestly haven't figured out what to do with the marketplace yet. It's something that won't be going up right away, but definitely in the category of things I'll consider rebuilding once everything else is going smoothly. The truth is the marketplace causes the site more headaches than anything else, so any re-do of it will have to take other considerations into account.

That being said, with the new profile system the rules are being relaxed quite a bit, so you'll be able to post things on your profile that are self-promoting, such as linking to your personal Etsy store, Patreon, etc. Adding a post that you're selling an old costume would be fine there too.
Unread 01-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Zoeyromanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
I honestly haven't figured out what to do with the marketplace yet. It's something that won't be going up right away, but definitely in the category of things I'll consider rebuilding once everything else is going smoothly. The truth is the marketplace causes the site more headaches than anything else, so any re-do of it will have to take other considerations into account.

That being said, with the new profile system the rules are being relaxed quite a bit, so you'll be able to post things on your profile that are self-promoting, such as linking to your personal Etsy store, Patreon, etc. Adding a post that you're selling an old costume would be fine there too.
Oh ok. I mean, no rush, as it does take time. It occured to me when I first posted an ad, then I posted a new one and it looked different.
And in that case, as along we still have one it's ok with me. I was just curious since the site was getting an upgrade I figured the Market would get one too.
Don't get me wrong I look forward to the new site though . The new plug-ins look awesome!

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains
Revolver (genderbent), Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 01-30-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Ok, I'm mainly excited that journals are coming back. I've kinda missed them. XD But everything looks great! It is gonna be hard for me to say goodbye to the old layout, but the new one shouldn't take too long to get used to. ^^;

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote