Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 03-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

I think I'm measuring wrong...

Alright, I need to talk this out with some costume makers because this post pertains to Yukata undergarment measurements.

I have dropped from a American Size 22W to an American Size 18 regular. Progress aside, I keep measuring my waist and hips every time I drop a pants size, but it just gets confusing. For example - When I took my tape measure and measured my hips, I still get 51 Inches. My waist is about 43 inches. By those measurements, I should be wearing much bigger pants, but when I put the size on, it's too big and I go back to my Size 18 pants.

My biggest problem - body-shape-wise is that I have the same short, stocky, and apple-shaped body my grandmother did before she died. She was an American Size 14 when she died, so I know I can safely drop to that weight.

My biggest problem - besides the short, stocky, and apple-shaped body - is that the measuring tape says one thing, but pants size says another. Because my Yukata undergarments and Yukata will be custom-made, I need to know if I'm measuring myself wrong or if it's something else. If it turns out I'm measuring wrong, then I'll probably get a female co-worker at Belk to correctly measure my waist, hips, and bust. If I really am that big and those measurements are true, then how in the world am I fitting into pants smaller than what my current measurements are?

This is kinda confusing. However, I realize that even if I do lose weight, I will still need items custom-made for me.

Unread 03-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It's a thing called "vanity sizing". In short, clothes sizes are rarely true to the standardized sewing pattern-type measurements they usually tout (actually, most sewing patterns are four sizes up from the off-the-rack ones. Example, I'm generally a size 10, up to 12, in premade clothes depending on the item/brand, but I'm almost always a 14 in sewing patterns), and even brand-to-brand sizes can vary immensely. As an example of that , I have a pair of size 12 jeans that fit me sort of snug as they're a designer brand (which tend to run smaller than cheaper clothes), some size 10's that fit me perfectly despite rarely being able to fit that small in jeans, and a gamut of size 11's that either fit perfect or I can barely fit into, all across different brands. And leggings? I like to shop at one place that caters to a younger crowd for my more stylish ones, so my medium leggings size at most stores, is a XL or XXL there. Likewise with their shirts, because everything there is made smaller.
So, always go by your actual measurements for custom clothing, not general clothing sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 03-16-2017 at 08:29 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

All of this ^

Clothing measurements can vary WILDLY from company to company or even within the same company. A size 22 in one brand can be smaller than a size 18 in another brand. They may be the same size. It's nothing to really worry about. Always use your body measurements when you are making clothing or getting clothing made.

That said, if the pants are non-stretch and you've measured the waistband to be smaller than your natural waist, and they aren't so tights to be compressing you in any way, there's an issue. Most pants don't fit at the natural waist, first of all, so the measurement of the waistband will likely be larger than your waist, since they are usually cut to sit below the waist by anywhere from an inch to several inches.

Make sure that when you are measuring your waist, you measure the part where you bend. Forget the however far from your navel advice, or the smallest part of your torso advice (especially if you are apple-shaped since that might be right under your bust or another area), but instead bend your upper torso to the side while keeping your lower torso still, and find that pivot point. It will likely be the point directly below the end of your ribcage. That is your natural waist. Hold the tape firm, but not tight. when you measure.

If you are doubting your own measurements, it can help to have someone do them for you.