Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #79471
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

...OK, so I can get a bigger heart to go on my staff if I need to, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth doing that or just going with the 20cm one I have right now.
Yoshiko Tsushima (Love Love! Sunshine!!, Summer Uniform) and undetermined others - Amecon (July)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #79472
TheGoofQueen
Saved Your Life!

I wanted to use my free afternoon tomorrow to work on cosplay, but I ran out of fabric for mockups and didn't find a fabric I like for Rey's pants when I looked in town on Wednesday. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can find. I wish I could find muslin in a 60" width, but it seems like almost all of it is 44-45", though that's better than no mockup fabric.

\\ Rey - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ahch-To Ver.) - In Progress //
\\ Raven Queen - Critical Role (Orig. Design) - Redesigning //
TheGoofQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #79473
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelx624 View Post
They're giving you the silent treatment, so yes, I would file a dispute. Really sorry you have to deal with this. Hope you're able to at least find another commissioner(and one who will actually respond and send progress pics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
Seconding this. This is sounding a hell of a lot like when I got scammed out of a prop commission a couple of years ago and never bothered disputing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLiza View Post
File that dispute.
This is what I'm currently thinking of emailing them:

I've asked for progress pictures twice now and not received any back in two weeks. When I originally commissioned you, you told me you'd start this in mid-February. It is now two months later and I have no proof that you've begun working on this. At this point I have to start entertaining the possibility that I am being scammed. I have roughly two months to find another commissioner if needed, which is rather short notice and I would likely incur a rush fee. You told me you'd have this completed by mid-April the last time I asked you why you didn't meet your previous deadline in March, yet all the evidence points to me being pushed back yet again. It is aggravating to hear that you keep pushing back my commission in order to take additional commissions from other clients that approached you after I did. Please, put this order at the top of your priority list, as I have been more then understanding of the time delays. You have until the end of the week to show me pictures of significant progress you've made on this, and have until the end of the month to have the completed wig sitting in my hands. Failing either of these, I will be forced to file a PayPal dispute to have my money returned to me so that I may find a commissioner who honors the deadlines they told their commissioners. I've talked to several cosplayers about this and they've all agreed I should file a dispute. If you’ve found yourself in over your head and this project is too difficult for you to complete; you may instead refund me the money I paid you upfront, return my wig and bang clip to me, and reimburse me for the shipping and tracking I paid to send them to you (it cost me $8.80 to ship them to you with tracking). I'm sorry it had to come to this, but I see no other recourse at this point.

I fully intend on going through with the dispute if they don't provide progress pics or give me my money back by the end of the week, but I know I'd be pretty upset if someone filed a dispute on me without any sort of heads up, and I feel as though giving them the option of refunding me instead allows for the potential for us to both walk away from this on better terms than it currently looks like we're going to. Does this sound alright, or is there someway that giving a heads up could end up backfiring on me?

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
(Upcoming) Anime Midwest 2018

Current Cosplays: Suzu, Sheena (default and young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Team Magma Grunt, White Mage, Kikyo, Cynthia

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Yugioh, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #79474
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

There is a possibility of them not even responding to that message. If they're scamming, they'll probably ignore it and not say anything, which then you will have to file a dispute. But it's your call.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like I'll have to miss this weekend's Norcal gathering. But that gives me more time to work on stuff at least.

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2018, 10:59 PM   #79475
xIkuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
Aw, I'm sorry my advice didn't work. I've been in situations before where my commissioner wasn't getting back to me because they were incredibly over worked, and asked me to wait a week and they would get back to me, and they did. I was hoping it was a similar situation. Sorry!

As for letting them know about a dispute- I don't think it would matter either way. When you file a dispute, paypal gives the seller 10 days or something to respond, so if you give them a heads up they could potentially respond faster, or if you don't want to deal with them at all and just want your money back, file a dispute without saying anything.

HOWEVER sometimes paypal will NOT give money back based on "custom" orders, I'm confused on the reasoning, buuuut you should maybe look into that before going ahead and filing just in case it does backfire, and you're out of money.

Would you mind telling me the name of this commissioner? I'm curious as I'm part of a lot of commission review groups and want to see if they're a known scammer, or not. (if you don't feel comfortable posting the name on here you can PM me here or on tumblr or something! only if you'd like, of course)

Cosplays:
Dalish Grey Warden- Dragon Age: Origins
Jester- Critical Role

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #79476
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

I think I might be able to make Aurora/Briar Rose if I have leftover fabric from Mink's yukata. Perhaps I'll cut the fabric I need for the yukata and go from there. XD

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Unread 04-14-2018, 01:30 PM   #79477
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:

I've asked for progress pictures twice now and not received any back in two weeks. When I originally commissioned you, you told me you'd start this in mid-February. It is now two months later and I have no proof that you've begun working on this. At this point I have to start entertaining the possibility that I am being scammed. I have roughly two months to find another commissioner if needed, which is rather short notice and I would likely incur a rush fee. You told me you'd have this completed by mid-April the last time I asked you why you didn't meet your previous deadline in March, yet all the evidence points to me being pushed back yet again. It is aggravating to hear that you keep pushing back my commission in order to take additional commissions from other clients that approached you after I did. Please, put this order at the top of your priority list, as I have been more then understanding of the time delays. You have until the end of the week to show me pictures of significant progress you've made on this, and have until the end of the month to have the completed wig sitting in my hands. Failing either of these, I will be forced to file a PayPal dispute to have my money returned to me so that I may find a commissioner who honors the deadlines they told their commissioners. I've talked to several cosplayers about this and they've all agreed I should file a dispute. If you’ve found yourself in over your head and this project is too difficult for you to complete; you may instead refund me the money I paid you upfront, return my wig and bang clip to me, and reimburse me for the shipping and tracking I paid to send them to you (it cost me $8.80 to ship them to you with tracking). I'm sorry it had to come to this, but I see no other recourse at this point.

I fully intend on going through with the dispute if they don't provide progress pics or give me my money back by the end of the week, but I know I'd be pretty upset if someone filed a dispute on me without any sort of heads up, and I feel as though giving them the option of refunding me instead allows for the potential for us to both walk away from this on better terms than it currently looks like we're going to. Does this sound alright, or is there someway that giving a heads up could end up backfiring on me?
Well, PayPal dispute time. This is what they sent me back:

Look I have sent you photos via email. I am not sure why you have not received them.
Also you commission is not due till July- I finish commissions in the order of which they are due. Not the order of which they are received. You can talk to every single person that has ever commissioned from me to see I have completed their project on time without fail If you have an issue with your commission being done in order of when the project is due I will return your wig and bangs clip. You will forfeit the money paid upfront as it is a non refundable as specified on the invoice you signed. So if you want to do that let me know. I can understand if you are upset your completed commission will be pushed back. But if you do not need it till July I will push it back to meet other deadlines first. Just let me know if you would like your wig returned to you or if you would like me to proceed and you will receive your wig when it is completed before your deadline.

Went ahead and filed the PayPal dispute. This is what I sent PayPal:

In early January I messaged them about doing a wig commission for Suzu Fujibayashi from Tales of Phantasia using an Arda Jasmine and long bang clip that I already owned. They responded a week later saying they would be able to do this commission. I said I was still interested and asked when they would be able to start working on it; they told me they would be able to start the project mid-February. They required half the cost to be paid up front, so I sent them the money through PayPal as well as sending them my wig and bang clip through the mail. They told me late January they had received the wig and bang clip, and stated once again that they would begin working on it mid-February. February came and went with no communication from them, so I emailed them asking what the status of the order was. They told me they had fallen behind on other projects and would be able to start working on mine mid-March. A month once again passed with no communication from them, so I messaged them again asking if they had started it yet and if they had any progress pictures they could show me. They told me they had started on it and would get me progress pictures by the end of the week, and that my order should be completed by mid-April. A week came and went with no progress pictures or communication of any kind, so I messaged them again asking where the progress pictures were. They told me they hadn't started on the bangs yet and all they'd have to show would be the ponytail. I said that was fine and again asked to see pictures of whatever they currently had done. They have not responded for over a week now and I am forced to believe I have been scammed.

And this is what I sent back to the commissioner:

I have not received any photos, and being that you did not send them
in this email despite knowing I haven't received them (making me
forced to believe you don't actually have any) I have filed the PayPal
dispute. Since you do not seem to understand why I am so upset, let
me put it to you this way.

Suppose you go into an all you can eat buffet to order a meal.
They've had problems with dine-and-dashers in the past, so they
require you to pay upfront. All the tables are currently full, so
they tell you there will be a 15 minute wait. You tell them you are
fine with this as your only plans for the night were watching Netflix
when you got home. However when a half an hour goes by and you have
yet to be seated you go to the front desk inquiring about the hold up.
They tell you some of the guest are taking longer than they thought to
finish up, but you should be seated within the next 15 minutes. This
is understandable. However 5 minutes later they seat 3 customers that
came in AFTER you. You are understandably upset and demand to know
why you are being treated so unfairly. They tell you the one customer
was on his lunch hour and had to get back to work soon, the other had
tickets to a movie in 45 minutes, and the next needed to get to their
airport in an hour and a half. Being that your only plans were
Netflix, they decided to push you back to take additional customers.

This is not how businesses operate for a reason. You take customers
in the order they come to you; if you don't have room to take in new
customers before finishing up projects for your current ones, then you
need to tell them you can't take their project at this time as you
don't have any openings until X date. You told me on two separate
occasions you would start this is February. You lied to me. You then
told me you'd start this in March and send progress pictures after a
week, neither of which I have any proof you have done. You finally
told me you would have this FINISHED in mid April, yet you are now
telling me you have no intention of starting this until June, meaning
you have lied to me once again. I am forced to file a dispute here as
I no longer have any reason to believe your word; you have done
nothing to counter the common belief that I am being scammed.

Being that you have lied to me on multiple occasions, continued to
push my project back to take new customers who approached you long
after I did, and still have yet to show me any proof that you have
actually started my project I think a full refund is the least you
could do. If you do not wish to offer a refund, then send progress
pictures immediately and have my wig finished and in my hands by the
end of the month. I will not hesitate to leave bad reviews otherwise.

PayPal should be able to get my money back, but I'm probably going to have to file a lawsuit to get my wig returned (or reimbursed if they've sold it off or something) and shipping refunded if they don't get their act together. Any tips for this?

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Yugioh, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon
Unread 04-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #79478
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Yup, sounds like they are lying through their teeth. They claim to have sent photos yet you have not received them?? Then they never sent photos in the first place. Did you also know about the terms in said invoice?? About how it was non-refundable? If not, then that is another lie.

Sounds like they are nothing but a scam. Who are these "other customers" they had??? Who knows they aren't paying people to act as customers to make them look good?? Or these so-called "customers" could be friends of theirs and so of course they put them first.

I don't know, but I would never commission whoever this is for anything. They sound mighty flaky and a scammer to boot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I might go ahead and start Aurora/Briar Rose soon and worry about the yukata when I need to. Thing is I need a wider variety of choices/characters for my upcoming independent princess party business. I can worry about Mink later.

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Unread 04-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #79479
Shana05
Survivor

Managed to get my order in for Darling Army. I finally ordered the Sesshomaru outfit I have been eyeing forever.

Naka-Kon: fem!Newt Scamander (Fantastic Beasts) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon) - Viktor Nikiforov [Track suit] (Yuri!!! On Ice)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #79480
Elycium

It took me all weekend, but I finally finished drafting out the embroidery pattern for the back of Mollymauk's coat. Which means my patterning (the worst part imo) is officially finished for the coat!

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender) / Mollymauk (Critical Role 2)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #79481
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Yup, sounds like they are lying through their teeth. They claim to have sent photos yet you have not received them?? Then they never sent photos in the first place. Did you also know about the terms in said invoice?? About how it was non-refundable? If not, then that is another lie.

Sounds like they are nothing but a scam. Who are these "other customers" they had??? Who knows they aren't paying people to act as customers to make them look good?? Or these so-called "customers" could be friends of theirs and so of course they put them first.

I don't know, but I would never commission whoever this is for anything. They sound mighty flaky and a scammer to boot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I might go ahead and start Aurora/Briar Rose soon and worry about the yukata when I need to. Thing is I need a wider variety of choices/characters for my upcoming independent princess party business. I can worry about Mink later.
Well I won the PayPal dispute, but unfortunately it's not all good news. This is what PayPal sent me:

After careful review, we have determined that the seller is at fault but regret to inform you that we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account.

We'll make every effort to recover the funds from the seller although we can't guarantee you will receive a refund. For more information please review our Buyer Protection Policy in the User Agreement.

I also received this email from the seller today:

I am writing to confirm your address to return your wig and bang clips.
The only alterations is it has been de-tangled and the band holding up the pony tail has been removed to clip it Up to the appropriate height.

It will be sent insured and tracked.

So basically admitting they lied when they said they'd already started it in March as there's no way they'd have progress pictures to show me as they haven't done anything yet.

I obviously intend to ask them for the money I already paid to be returned (along with the money I paid to ship the wig to them, which I think I'm entitled to considering they wasted 3 months of my time now) but I'm not sure how to phrase it. Maybe something like this?

Yes, the return address you provided is correct. I also require the refund of the money I paid you upfront (which PayPal would have collected for me if you had any money in your account) and reimbursement for the shipping and tracking I paid to send them to you in the first place (which is only fair seeing as you never did the work as promised and wasted 3 months of my time to boot). I have attached proof of the shipping & tracking price I paid to this email. I look forward to a speedy reimbursement.

I honestly don't think they're going to willingly give my money back if their earlier behavior is any indication. Anybody had luck with PayPal eventually successfully collecting the money later, or is there anything else I should be trying to do to get it back? And is there anything better than PayPal I can use to send future payments so if I get scammed again I can get my money back immediately instead of PayPal basically being "well you're right, but the seller has no money and we aren't going to reimburse you ourselves" forcing me to have to file a lawsuit?

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016

Last edited by Chiagirl : 04-16-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 04-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #79482
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I sort of just remembered this site existed lol. Sad that it seems like they got rid of the search by cosplay option :/ I liked to see how people did certain characters

Other cosplay related things, I think I'm aiming to do one new Overwatch cosplay and one new Jojo Bizarre Adventure cosplay a year!

Youtube Page

Cosplays
Reaper - Overwatch (2017)
Jotaro Kujo (Part 4) - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2017)
Nobuchika Ginoza - Psycho-pass (2016)
Trafalgar Law (Punk Hazard) - One Piece (2014)
Monkey D. Luffy (Film Z Battle Costume) - One Piece (2013)
Grumpy - The Dark Knight (2013)
Monkey D. Luffy (Alabasta) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (2 Years Later) - One Piece (2012)
Monkey D. Luffy (Strong World) - One Piece (2011)
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #79483
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

@Chia - wow x_x yeah try sending that response to the seller, but since it appears that lol they have no money they probably will try to pull some other excuse. Lousy scammer they are. :/

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Unread 04-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #79484
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
@Chia - wow x_x yeah try sending that response to the seller, but since it appears that lol they have no money they probably will try to pull some other excuse. Lousy scammer they are. :/
And now they send me this:

I will be sending your wig out tomorrow.
I will send you the tracking number as soon as I print it.
PayPal ruled in my favor as I sent them the contract that you signed that the $40 is non refundable. That is why you did not receive it.
I will also not be reimbursing your shipping cost.
I have not wasted your time as I had started working on this as soon as I received it. Just because you mistrust that fact and have therefore lost time and money is not my fault. I was on track to finish your wig and ship it by the end of the month.
If you had not been so rude and threatening I would have completed it the end of this month way in advance of the date that is your actual due date in July.

Which completely contradicts everything they said earlier. And PayPal sided with me, not them. This is obviously going to turn into a legal battle. Since I've already won the PayPal dispute, I guess it's alright to release the name of the commissioner I used. To quote from their commission thread on here:

I would advise to avoid commissioning from them, as they seem to have no intent of refunding the money they owe me.

Conventions Attended:
Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016

Last edited by Chiagirl : 04-17-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Unread 04-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #79485
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Quote:
And now they send me this:

I will be sending your wig out tomorrow.
I will send you the tracking number as soon as I print it.
PayPal ruled in my favor as I sent them the contract that you signed that the $40 is non refundable. That is why you did not receive it.
I will also not be reimbursing your shipping cost.
I have not wasted your time as I had started working on this as soon as I received it. Just because you mistrust that fact and have therefore lost time and money is not my fault. I was on track to finish your wig and ship it by the end of the month.
If you had not been so rude and threatening I would have completed it the end of this month way in advance of the date that is your actual due date in July.

Which completely contradicts everything they said earlier. And PayPal sided with me, not them. This is obviously going to turn into a legal battle. Since I've already won the PayPal dispute, I guess it's alright to release the name of the commissioner I used. To quote from their commission thread on here:

I would advise to avoid commissioning from them, as they seem to have no intent of refunding the money they owe me.
Should probably copy all of this into the commissioner review forum.
Yoshiko Tsushima (Love Love! Sunshine!!, Summer Uniform) and undetermined others - Amecon (July)

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is online now   Reply With Quote