Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #78016
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

I told myself "After Colossal, take June off from cosplays. No work. No starting anything." as my next con isn't until November. (That and I made so many new costumes in 6 months that I really need to save money before spending again yikes.)

But it's mid way through June, and I am dying with nothing to work on. I have plans made. I've got to work on the planning of getting them done, but hooboy am I dying of boredom.

What I'm working on:
(New-Maybe) Maki Nishikino (Little Devil) - Love Live!
(New) Cure Chocolat - PreCure A La Mode
Luna - Sailor Moon
Junko Enoshima - Danganronpa
Midori Takamine (Painter) - Ensemble Stars
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #78017
Respawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
@Respawning: You shouldn't have to thin out the Angelus paint! I seem to remember needing to do a couple of coats for a bold, even color when I did my Blanche shoes.

That being said, how are you planning on painting them? Had the same problem with Blanche painting on her bodysuit stripes, and realized that I had to paint them "pre-stretched" (aka while they were on my body). I doubt you'll get the bleed-through with faux leather leggings like I did doing spandex but I'd consider doing it that way so it doesn't crack like crazy when you put them on.

Alternatively, paint them while you have them off, let it dry, then put them on and do one more touch-up coat just to make sure that when you're stretching them to get them on that the paint job is still smooth.
I hadn't thought about stretching them, but I guess that would be helpful I was thinking of essentially sponging it on. I have a couple colours so I can get a more worn in look.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #78018
Respawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helara View Post
Still finding it amusing albeit a bit irritating that if you say you're going to do a female version of a male character the assumption is "oh so you'll be making it sexy and pretty?" That was even after showing an example of my Punisher.
I also find that irritating. There are a few characters I'd like to do a female version of without it essentially being a bikini (because after 2 babies, no one wants to see my wrinkle stomach )

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Ciri, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:14 PM   #78019
TheGoofQueen
Saved Your Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessNobody View Post
I told myself "After Colossal, take June off from cosplays. No work. No starting anything." as my next con isn't until November. (That and I made so many new costumes in 6 months that I really need to save money before spending again yikes.)

But it's mid way through June, and I am dying with nothing to work on. I have plans made. I've got to work on the planning of getting them done, but hooboy am I dying of boredom.
I'm feeling this right now, although I do have con crunch (sort of) on top of it. I'm still trying to finish my Raven Queen design, and I'm just itching to start mocking things up and actually creating it. But I can't really do that until I have the design nailed down.

Also, as someone who tends to grumble about women's armor in media/video games, I'm vaguely annoyed with myself that my favorite RQ design so far includes completely useless armor (like this but both sides, it covers the throat and the arms. Yeah, that's real useful for preventing death, self). So I'm trying to get a few more iterations down and hoping one of them impresses me more.

\\ Raven Queen (Critical Role) - Self-Design - 12% //
TheGoofQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #78020
Elycium

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessNobody View Post

I tried to tell myself the same thing, but I gave up and started working on some unfinished projects today. I couldn't take the idleness anymore lol.

2017 Cosplays: Cassandra de Rolo (Critical Role) / Vex'ahlia (Critical Role) / Princess Allura (Voltron Legendary Defender / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender / Ursula (Kiki's Delivery Service)
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #78021
TeaForThought
Knows nothing

I'm too tired to work on cosplay.

Which I saw coming, but still disappoints me. I'm going to see if I can gather up some energy to at least get a flower crown started...or something just to feel like I'm getting something done.
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #78022
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Goal for this week is to finish this gosh dang website project so I can finally just sit down and S E W. That's gonna feel so so so good.

Went to Awesomecon today with a friend as a one-day affair/to see friends who were selling in the Artist's Alley, and while it was fun, I was a little disappointed in the cosplay scene there. Sure, it was Sunday, and AMA was also this weekend and the more intense cosplayers went there instead, but even just chatting in lines with people and stuff it seemed like the cosplay scene wasn't super strong. That said, if I'm still in the area next year I'll come back with something really cool and probably go for competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I hadn't thought about stretching them, but I guess that would be helpful I was thinking of essentially sponging it on. I have a couple colours so I can get a more worn in look.
Doing it that way is also a surefire way to make sure that your stencil is sitting EXACTLY where you want it to be on your body for the final suit, though I've gotta say, trying to stay super still while the paint dries is challenging... lol.
  • General Revamps (N/A): ??% (---) Summer 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #78023
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofQueen View Post
I'm feeling this right now, although I do have con crunch (sort of) on top of it. I'm still trying to finish my Raven Queen design, and I'm just itching to start mocking things up and actually creating it. But I can't really do that until I have the design nailed down.
I feel it. I've been looking at petticoats for my Step-Sister Keito cosplay, as I can't work on his dress until I have the petticoat. But At the same time I'm just telling myself no I can't spend money.

(Also I would love to see your Raven Queen design. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
I tried to tell myself the same thing, but I gave up and started working on some unfinished projects today. I couldn't take the idleness anymore lol.
I am reaching that point. I just might cave this week and start buying fabric. But i've only got like one cosplay I'm for sure doing, everything else is so up in the air right now. s i g h

Quote:
Went to Awesomecon today with a friend as a one-day affair/to see friends who were selling in the Artist's Alley, and while it was fun, I was a little disappointed in the cosplay scene there. Sure, it was Sunday, and AMA was also this weekend and the more intense cosplayers went there instead, but even just chatting in lines with people and stuff it seemed like the cosplay scene wasn't super strong. That said, if I'm still in the area next year I'll come back with something really cool and probably go for competition.
As somebody who was at AMA today, you really didn't miss much. But I put that blame on the new venue. But even then it was your standard AMA fair just... less. There was a lot of people in every day clothes. But it's also Sunday... of AMA. lol

What I'm working on:
Luna - Sailor Moon

Last edited by HeartlessNobody : 06-18-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #78024
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

@Heartless -- Huh, really? I was seeing some GORGEOUS shots of people down by the waterfront! (But then again, Sunday cosplaying, sooo...)
  • General Revamps (N/A): ??% (---) Summer 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 09:47 PM   #78025
GracefulNightingale
Witcheress

I'm exceptionally critical of myself. I've set weight loss goals for myself to achieve before I start cosplay construction again, because I want to make sure that I do a good job by the character, but also by myself.

This summer has been so chaotic, with the build-up of my college graduation, internship, and classes. Working out has been tough because I'm so tired all of the time. But I look at my cosplay research, and the reference photos that I've collected, and that's what is helping to drive me onward towards my goals. With school out of the way, I will be able to just focus on my own health, and jumping back into this community once more. And I couldn't be more excited.

"Giving up is what kills people. When you refuse to give up, you transcend your humanity."- Alucard

2017 Conventions:
Momocon
Worldcon 75
Dragon*Con
AWA
GracefulNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #78026
Alyxiane
Still a growing bud.

Hydra Comic Con was surprisingly pleasant! Mostly on the account that I met the VAs and have them sign my stuff. (And the fact that Torbjorn's VA tweeted and it includes me as D.Va and the toblerone I brought for him to sign ayeeeee). I've also ended up hanging out with a few others I recognized from Fanime when I've had my fill of the con itself. Overall, glad I decided to check it out.
Miriam ~ Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night | D.Va (Carbon Fiber) ~ Overwatch | Star Guardian Ahri - League of Legends

Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #78027
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoofQueen View Post

Also, as someone who tends to grumble about women's armor in media/video games, I'm vaguely annoyed with myself that my favorite RQ design so far includes completely useless armor (like this but both sides, it covers the throat and the arms. Yeah, that's real useful for preventing death, self). So I'm trying to get a few more iterations down and hoping one of them impresses me more.
Omg yes, Raven Queen! *is so happy with all of the CR cosplayers on this thread* xD Sadly I can't start fem Percy until I figure out what my moving situation is. >.>

Really hope my friend can hurry up and give me those measurements. Dude, if you want this done by Ota I need them soonish.

Also, anyone have the feeling that they HAVE to do a cosplay? I really don't want to finish Moana right now and instead sell off the things I've made for her but my sister and a friend both bought me a Pua plush for Christmas because they knew I wanted to cosplay her back then. And I know a few people are looking forward to Moana. I thought I would be more into doing her since I took a monthish off from working on her but I'm still very meh about finishing her.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by TMLiza : 06-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #78028
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

Quote:
@Heartless -- Huh, really? I was seeing some GORGEOUS shots of people down by the waterfront! (But then again, Sunday cosplaying, sooo...)
There were a few nice ones, but the actual scene itself was very small this year. I've seen a few from earlier in the weekend, but there wasn't much left for Sunday. Most people were in really laid back cosplays or street clothes, which is totally fair. lol

What I'm working on:
Luna - Sailor Moon
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #78029
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

My Venus tiara shipped today, yay! And it turns out my friend and I are set for Thursday of Fan Expo. So excited !
But one other thing that's bugging me is that even though I found a pair of heels for Venus, and I found orange Angelus paint the shipping is more than the cost of the paint on Etsy -_-'. I found the orange I needed on Amazon and is eligible for fee shipping, but I really only need the paint. I guess can just add the EOS lip balm stuff and Yugioh card sleeves since I'm still looking for that.

DTAC/Holiday Fan Days 2017:
Ruri Kurosaki, Yugioh Arc-V

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #78030
WondererBailey
o3o)/

I figured out how I'm going to cosplay All Might from My Hero Academia.....it's going to be glorious....

Lushen - [Summoners War] - 40% / Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85%
/ Aizawa Shouta - [My Hero Academia] - Planning

2018 Cons: Kumoricon

W. Bailey Photography
Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote