Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 10-10-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
dysoartsy

Getting the sides of a wig to stick to face

Hey all, so I'm looking for some help as I am pretty inexperienced with wig styling and I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the sides of my wig to stay down and to stick to my face.
I'm using Arda's marty wig and as much as I've tried carefully straightening the sides, they refuse to stay down.
I've seen people use glue sticks, but that doesn't seem like it'd be nearly as strong enough to keep hair stuck to my face. I've also heard spirit gum is an option, has anyone had good experience with it? It is quite a bit of hair and a little thick, so my worry is that even that won't be able to hold it.
Any ideas?
dysoartsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
ManneQuinn
Literal Trash

I've used spirit glue to do this and it worked great! The hair stayed stuck to my day during a full day of outdoor shooting (and it was pretty windy too!) so I think it would be worth a shot to try it with your wig. It helps to somewhat spread out the wig fibres a bit if the piece is really thick but it's hard for me to say since I haven't used an Arda wig before so I'm not experienced in how thick it can be.
Uniform Ryuko (Kill la Kill) : Done!!
9S (Nier:Automata) : Done!!
Blue Diamond (Steven Universe) : Done!!
Junketsu Satsuki (Kill la Kill) : Commissioned
DLC 2B (Nier Automata) : Commissioned
Yellow Pearl (Steven Universe) : I'll get to it lmao

ManneQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
dysoartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneQuinn View Post
I've used spirit glue to do this and it worked great! The hair stayed stuck to my day during a full day of outdoor shooting (and it was pretty windy too!) so I think it would be worth a shot to try it with your wig. It helps to somewhat spread out the wig fibres a bit if the piece is really thick but it's hard for me to say since I haven't used an Arda wig before so I'm not experienced in how thick it can be.
Thanks! I will definitely give it a shot then. We don't get much wind here, but it does get pretty hot, so hearing it can survive outdoor weather is relieving. The only other option I've seen is someone gluing a piece of fabric behind the hair to serve as a a sort of base, and then gluing that down to the face with spirit glue. Either way spirit glue seems to be the major player in it, so time to go and purchase some!
Unread 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Are you trying to essentially make sideburns, or a hairline? In that case, yeah, spirit gum is a good option. It definitely helps to have that fabric base you were talking about (gum isn't trying to hold individual fibers, it's holding a mass), but depending on the look you're going for, either could potentially work.

For future posts, it's super helpful if you post a reference photo of the character (or hairstyle, in this case) you're trying to achieve. Chances are we might come up with even more clever solutions if the wig/outfit/etc has unique features that can be used to your advantage!
  • General Revamps (N/A): ??% (---) Summer 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Fall 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
Indiana Jolly
INDIANA JOLLY

I used a really thick curly wig for my Broadway Beast cosplay. I brushed long strands from the sides and used it as the beard/fur on my face and attached it with spirit gum. Worked perfectly! Never got close to coming undone. -and that was with me dancing and sweating all night in the costume.
Indiana Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
dysoartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Are you trying to essentially make sideburns, or a hairline? In that case, yeah, spirit gum is a good option. It definitely helps to have that fabric base you were talking about (gum isn't trying to hold individual fibers, it's holding a mass), but depending on the look you're going for, either could potentially work.

For future posts, it's super helpful if you post a reference photo of the character (or hairstyle, in this case) you're trying to achieve. Chances are we might come up with even more clever solutions if the wig/outfit/etc has unique features that can be used to your advantage!
Yeah they're serving as sideburns. I'm basically doing what the poster below described and brushing down hair from the sides and trying to get them to stay close to my face instead of leaving an annoying gap.
Do you think cotton fabric would work well with the spirit gum?

And that makes sense, I was planning on attaching a photo initially but had some trouble figuring out how to do so haha. Next time I'll get it right!
Unread 10-16-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Blood_Sword
aka Shiro Samurai

I'm quite positive that spirit gum should work. I've used it to keep elf ears in place all day and there was no sign of them coming off even when I kept pulling things over my head (bags etc) a lot. During removal I always had some of my real hair or wig fibers stuck near my ears too and it was a bitch to get off, lol.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote