Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Unread 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
SoriddoSneku

Why do it?

I hope this thread is an acceptable one in this section, as I have been curious to know since having seen this section on the forums.

Being someone who recently started getting into the act of cosplaying and designing costumes, I have noticed that crossplay is a lot bigger of a thing than I first thought it was. It's not often people do it -- at least around here in the GTA -- but it seems to be a big thing within the cosplay community at large, and so I'm curious to know: why do it? I'm kind of curious to know what the appeal is for those who do it. Is it the challenge? Simply trying something new? An artistic endeavour of some sort? I know many who do it are straight (and are rather good at it, too), so I know it's not only to do with comfort in one's own gender (though I realize that may play a part). I'd very much like to know, maybe start a discussion of some sort.
SoriddoSneku is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
MaiCosplay
Cospyro Li

That's like saying why cosplay.

Last edited by MaiCosplay : 01-06-2014 at 11:20 PM.
MaiCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Larcenciel
Seeking Misuzu Kamio.

I do it because:

- I am transgender.
- Females tend to have more detailed and fun cosplay.
- I tend to like more female characters.
- There's something enchanting not being a "guy" for a day.

All there is to it.

Cosplay 1: Sailor Venus (Commissioner failed to make 4 month deadline)
Update: August 10th.... still nothing.

Reality: Recycled or no cosplay at all. Got to love commissioning! Thanks everyone!! Serious thanks to Dulcinea, who actually made the deadline for the accessories far in advance and of outstanding quality. Sucks they won't be used.
Larcenciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
meb9000

Similar to the above poster, I find it very exciting and interesting to cosplay as female for a day. Cosplay to me is about stepping into a character's shoes and transforming into something different and unique from your ordinary life. Crossplay extends that notion with the thrill of trying to pull off the higher difficulty. I usually don't pass exceptionally well, but I try to make the costume look accurate and for my curves and proportions to be as good as I can muster.

Also, many female anime characters are cute and awesome. I particularly like to crossplay characters who are fighters rather than more girly girl types.

Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite)

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney series)

In Progress: RWBY Weiss Schnee
meb9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
indiraptor

Because I like the character, or the specific design. For example, Jack Frost. I didn't see any reason to make a female version because all I would be changing is the wig and maybe wear a skirt. I like Jack as a boy, so I'd play him as a boy. When I gender-bend, though, it's because I like the creativity.

Spider-Man (Spiderman) - 15%
Matryoshka Gumi (Vocaloid) - 0%
Rigby (Regular Show) - 5%
Miria Harvent (Baccano!) - 0%

indiraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

Hmm, that's an interesting question! Really, I just like to crossplay because I happen to fit with the personality of the male characters a lot more. When I first started cosplaying, my first serious cosplays were crossplays and I had no idea that crossplay was a distinct subset (not sure if that's the right wording? |D ) of cosplay until just recently. I like to pick characters I think fit me personality-wise and that I also think are "cool." (Not really much logic behind the latter, ehehe.) I guess I just started with an aversion from cosplaying female characters very often (I still do sometimes, though) since their personalities tended to be too "girly" to fit me.

And the challenge is a fun part of it too.

Upcoming Cosplays
Sasha (Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan) - SakuraCon 2014
Devit (D.Gray-man) - Halloween 2014 [maybe]
Alma (D.Gray-man) - KumoriCon 2014

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Sakumo (UTAU)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Pirogoeth05
Western cosplayer

Up until recently I wanted to portray the character accurately, so crossplay made sense. Recently I'm starting to get into genderbend because it's fun and I feel like I'm portraying the character better and more confidently then if I was crossplaying, if that makes any sense.

Working on:
Dr. Shannon Abbey, Rebecca Atherton, First Doctor Bathing Suit, The Doctor, Dawn, Shigure Sohma, GIR, Jessie

Eventually:
Science Officer [TNG], Pirogoeth (D&D oc), Kevin Flynn (black robes)
Pirogoeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
MelodyK

I tend to like more male characters than female, so that's why I crossplay. I do a little genderbent but only if it's something really creative and still obvious that it's the character. (Like the male!Mami from Madoka that I saw at Daishocon a couple weeks back)

Past cosplays: Death (Sandman), fem!Sam Winchester (Supernatural), Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who), genderbent!Haruhi (MOHS)
In-progress cosplays: Ouran High School Host Club, school!Rukia (Bleach), Castiel (Supernatural)
Cosplay dreams: Takuto (Fullmoon wo Sagashite), Break (Pandora Hearts)
MelodyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm more convincing as a dude than I am a woman.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
JasonTerror
Now known as Sailor Jeimi

It's fun. Plain and simple. Also, another good answer: Because I can..Not to be confused with a rude statement of any sort, but I can, I'm allowed to, and no one can stop me, so that's good enough..

2 cons ago was another reason..I was dressed in a non cosplay crossdress attire that was sorta Jrock inspired, and I actually had someone go "OMG are you a guy!? I said yes and they were so stunned because they had NO idea until I spoke..Made my day..In fact after such a bad con, it made my con..Made me more willing to do it more often with more confidence..So that's another good reason.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Sakuracon 2014:
-Stocking Anarchy (Panty & Stocking. Normal Ver.)
-Marluxia (Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I can't really crossplay due to my chest but if I could I'd do it cause I just would like to not have to stress about having to show skin to have a good fitting costume. No matter what female or genderbent cosplay i do..someone has to mention my chest area so cross playing would give me a nice break from doing that.

Working on
Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn)
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
PolyVinylAres
Friendship is Plastic

Because it's fun!

Also, because lady characters get some awesome outfits.

*-*-* Beards and skirts, we're making it work! *-*-*
PolyVinylAres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Swiftstart

Because sometimes my favorite character in the thing is the dude xD
And since cosplay is about showing love for the character, then I'll bind my chest and put on craptons of make-up to show my love for that character :3
Just like as if it was a girl character I'd do the same thing; minus the chest binding.
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
thelovelysin
Informant

I only crossplay guys because I like male character designs/fashion more than female. It's also more comforting to me, and I have intentionally made genderbent cosplays to make female characters male so I can cosplay them.

There's really no deeper meaning to it. I just do it because I like it.

Asking me why I choose to crossplay is like asking me I why I wanted to begin cosplaying in general. There's no difference.
thelovelysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Plenty of characters I want to cosplay are completely fictional non-human species. Compared to that, a character who has a characteristic every other person on the planet has doesn't seem that drastic.

Besides, for me, most of the fun is working out how to make a costume work and trying to give myself a different body shape just adds to that.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote