Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 12-26-2017, 04:02 PM   #1
Pikaskye

Orisa Digitigrade Legs?

Hello, me and a friend are making Overwatch costumes. My partner is going as Orisa.

https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...41968ec18 ce3

Orisa is a centaur-esque creature so we decided to add digitigrade legs to her part of the costume. I've made a few armor pieces but never made a robot digitigrade set that needs to wrap around the butt to hide the padding. I'm on a relatively small budget but really don't want the foam or whatever material I use to crimp, fold, or chip if my partner needs to sit or move.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdLm77cH-Fk/

Here's what we have so far. Does anybody have any knowledge of how to make sure armor in the back doesn't bend and the paint won't rub off?
Pikaskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Bombdoll

Foam may bend or crimp, but if you use the correct sealer it wont chip. Were you planning to use EVA foam? If so seal the pieces with plasti dip; the paint won't chip easily, if at all, if you use this. Any folds or creases your Eva suffers can be remedied at the end of the day by using a heat gun. This YouTube video outlines the benefits.

As for ensuring the armor wont bend; it should if your partner wants to sit. If they sat on a foam piece that was made to be rigid it could simply snap in half. Retaining the flexibility is what will keep this armor remotely comfortable and will allow them to move more freely and sit occasionally. Making the rear piece removable might be wise, so that they can sit for extended periods or use the loo as well. I would follow some of kamui's build videos and blogs to brainstorm the ways you would like to proceed.
Bombdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombdoll View Post
Foam may bend or crimp, but if you use the correct sealer it wont chip. Were you planning to use EVA foam? If so seal the pieces with plasti dip; the paint won't chip easily, if at all, if you use this. Any folds or creases your Eva suffers can be remedied at the end of the day by using a heat gun. This YouTube video outlines the benefits.

As for ensuring the armor wont bend; it should if your partner wants to sit. If they sat on a foam piece that was made to be rigid it could simply snap in half. Retaining the flexibility is what will keep this armor remotely comfortable and will allow them to move more freely and sit occasionally. Making the rear piece removable might be wise, so that they can sit for extended periods or use the loo as well. I would follow some of kamui's build videos and blogs to brainstorm the ways you would like to proceed.
Bombdoll makes really good points; you're essentially trying to fight and/or remove all the desirable aspects of the materials you're using. I can't see what you have so far since work blocks Instagram, but unless your friend wants to sit on hard plastic the flexibility of foam for the armor is going to be part of its appeal. The only other option would be as they said to make the foam armor relatively easy to remove, which is possible but could impact your design since you'd need to add additional straps or closures and figure out how to hide or incorporate them.

Also keep in mind depending on the build, sometimes you actually just can't sit in certain cosplays. From the sounds of it this shouldn't be an issue with this one, but it comes with the territory that sometimes you'll be a bit uncomfortable and have to plan your time a little more than usual for when you're going to be in or out of your costume.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)

Working On
Wedding planning!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Pikaskye

Thanks bombdoll and scunosi I didn't actually think of making them removable! It''s a good idea, and I'll definitely look into Plasti-dip. Thank you so much!
Pikaskye is offline   Reply With Quote