Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
chibi_sasuke_1
Avenger

Making a Tail Stick Out Straight Instead of Being floppy to the Side

Hello

My latest cosplay, Mid-Day Form Lycanroc, has a tail. However, it flops to the side when I walk. Does anyone have any good ideas for making it stick out straight? I'm thinking fishing wire. Anyone have any good experience with this method? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Unread 04-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Please post reference pictures, and some pics of your progress so far and your problems.

You'll need two components to help you make a tail that sticks straight out:
- Structure within the tail
- A support harness attached to your body
...and of course, some way to marry the two.

Look at this thread, make sure to also click on the link that I put in the second line:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=363813

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
walkerofdarknes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_sasuke_1 View Post
Hello

My latest cosplay, Mid-Day Form Lycanroc, has a tail. However, it flops to the side when I walk. Does anyone have any good ideas for making it stick out straight? I'm thinking fishing wire. Anyone have any good experience with this method? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Fishing wire would be a decent choice but you might want something with more rigidity, like a small dowel rod if your tail allows for it.

Of course the big question would be "How are you going to attach the tail to you?" Depending on how you intend to do your cosplay, there would be a couple of options.

1. Your tail is going to be sticking out from inside the "pants" or whatever clothes you intend to wear. If you did it that way, you could reinforce the structure of your tail to give it the rigidity you want, then make a small stand (or just buy a paper towel stand, now that I think of it), something like https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectrum-...older/14935413. You cut a small hole big enough for the stand, and then slide the stand through the hole and attach your tail to it. It would look VERY real, but the downside is that it might be tricky to put on at the con, and maybe difficult to take off in public places.

2. Your tail is going to be an extra piece of the cosplay. Same general idea as 1, except instead of the tail going through your clothes, you find/make a belt with the same color (or use excess material to wrap the belt) and punch the dowel through the back of the belt, lock it down with a couple of washers and nuts on both sides of the belt. The advantage to this tack will be that you can take the belt off easily to sit down. It may slide out of place though, so it might hurt a realistic approach.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Scunosi

Normally I'd suggest a foam core (as discussed here and here) but with that thin base I don't think that will offer the support you need. I think you'll have to either use fishing wire (which likely still won't be that strong) or a hard base like the suggested dowel rod. Normally I try to avoid using really hard, rigid stuff in my cosplays (like wire) due to the potential safety issues but you'll probably have to go that route for this. I like the dowel rod suggestion attached to a tail base, and then maybe use foam to build the bulk of the tail.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West

Latest cosplay
Table Tennis Mei (Overwatch)

Working On
Princess Peach-New Donk City (Super Mario Odyssey)
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote