Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Macky-San

Photo Critiques

I did some photoshoot at a nearby con in Manitoba and I wanted some critques on these photo gallery.
I notice myself after taking another look at em some of them were kind of soft.

http://macky-sama.deviantart.com/gallery/44861131
Macky-San is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Overall, it looks like a pretty good set. Nice variety of poses and facial expressions, which is one of my top two requirements for any set that's more than hallway snapshots.

The backgrounds are a little distracting in some of them, but I acknowledge that there's only so much you can do when you're constrained to convention grounds.

I'll take a closer look when I'm at home on my better monitor.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Macky-San

Yes convention grounds can have it's ups and downs. I try my best to improvise on an area that's available to me and trying to avoid any hallway shots.
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Brea
Business Student

You're bumping the clarity down WAY too much! It's so obvious

Unless it's your style (what you were aiming for), I respect your artistic choice! I know girls love their shots with the clarity bumped down because it eliminates any problems in the skin... but you should remove it yourself so the rest of the picture has more clarity.

Here's an example of a shot I took: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...32342267_n.jpg
I removed her skin defects using Lightroom, and bumped the clarity up a bit so you can see the detail in her cosplay.

For convention shoots I find that lying on the ground and aiming towards the sky is a good way to eliminate the "con" background. I see that you have one shot like that! The highlights aka sky are blown out though, and that's because your camera is trying to expose for your subject. If you have just one flash, you can try to expose for the sky and let the flash fill your subject, your shots will look much better that way.

Are you coming to Otakuthon? By the way what kind of lens do you use?

Last edited by Brea : 07-27-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
Macky-San

It seems to me when I put up the Clarity it always brings out the wrong colors i wanted and I wonder if it'll bring out the background too much? It's like what Nathan said, the background right now is a little distracting. I'll have that mind on my next set of photoshoots I do at the next con.
I just only have the built in flash in my camera, I'm trying to look for a good flash I can use the next time I go out. As for lens, I use 50mm 1.4 and a simple 18-55mm 3.5 lens and I wish I can make it to Otakuthon.
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Brea
Business Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky-San View Post
It seems to me when I put up the Clarity it always brings out the wrong colors i wanted and I wonder if it'll bring out the background too much? It's like what Nathan said, the background right now is a little distracting. I'll have that mind on my next set of photoshoots I do at the next con.
I just only have the built in flash in my camera, I'm trying to look for a good flash I can use the next time I go out. As for lens, I use 50mm 1.4 and a simple 18-55mm 3.5 lens and I wish I can make it to Otakuthon.
I think you're confusing clarity with VIBRANCE/SATURATION. I'm guessing you take most shots with the 50mm at an aperture around 1.4 to 2?
Brea is offline   Reply With Quote