Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Unread 05-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

BTW here's a list of the non-events forums (called "channels") on the new site. If anyone has an argument for another one to be added, I'm all ears.

General Chat
Introductions
Seeking Cosplayers
Cosplay Suggestions
Personal Projects
Masquerades and Skits
Fitness
Off-Topic Chat
Site Meta (site help, questions, etc)
General Cosplay Construction
Sewing and Fabric
Wigs and Hair
Makeup and Eyewear
Props and Materials
Costume Critique
Cosplay Photography
Cosplay Videography
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #17
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
BTW here's a list of the non-events forums (called "channels") on the new site. If anyone has an argument for another one to be added, I'm all ears.

General Chat
Introductions
Seeking Cosplayers
Cosplay Suggestions
Personal Projects
Masquerades and Skits
Fitness
Off-Topic Chat
Site Meta (site help, questions, etc)
General Cosplay Construction
Sewing and Fabric
Wigs and Hair
Makeup and Eyewear
Props and Materials
Costume Critique
Cosplay Photography
Cosplay Videography
I'd definitely recommend keeping the commissioner review forums as well as that's useful and serves a good purpose. And is the marketplace getting scrapped, or going back to it's previous version where it was separate from the forums, or something else? I personally liked it better when it was a separate entity, but having more ways to search (like having tags for size that you could filter for example) would be a huge improvement.

Current Cosplays: Sheena Fujibayashi (young/successor version)

Upcoming Cosplays: Suzu Fujibayashi, Team Magma Grunt, White Mage

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Geek.kon 2012, 2013, & 2016
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018
Chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #18
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiagirl View Post
I'd definitely recommend keeping the commissioner review forums as well as that's useful and serves a good purpose. And is the marketplace getting scrapped, or going back to it's previous version where it was separate from the forums, or something else? I personally liked it better when it was a separate entity, but having more ways to search (like having tags for size that you could filter for example) would be a huge improvement.
For the marketplace, what I envision is having everyone use their profiles to post their used items but with the ability to tag it as a marketplace item. Then we can have a marketplace area simply by filtering to those tags (show all profile posts tagged #marketplace or whatever). I think something like this would have greater expandibility compared to the current forum solution. I could also create a distinct "for sale" content type but I want to think about that first.

One thing I'd add is that when it switched to the forum, user complaints went down. Like WAY down, from almost daily to monthly. I think it's due to the added pressure of having your for-sale post in a more visible format allowing for replies from other users. Integrating it directly into the profiles themselves would theoretically be even more effective.

This is a great example of something I will be addressing after the re-launch, so I'm open to ideas but they're going on a list for now. Once the house is built we can easily start decorating it.
Unread 05-24-2018, 03:26 AM   #19
solstis
Cat-dragon , Cosplayer

I can't wait for the search bar to come back..... But I also miss the old market place. Being able to see the pictures made it better/ easier.

COSPLAYS
Cardcaptor Sakura Clear card Heart dress
Random Neko....
Grey Chocobo Kigurumi
solstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

Thanks for the update on things.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #21
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

Thank you for the update!!

"No matter where I go or what I see, I know I can always come back here. Right?" -Kairi

"Looks like today we're clockin' out early!" -Reno

Yay! (ノ•ω•)ノ

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #22
LittleHobbit13

Any updated ETA on the search function?
Tsubaki Aoi (Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi)
Blair (Soul Eater) [Planned]
Rapunzel (Tangled the Series S2) [Planned]
LittleHobbit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleHobbit13 View Post
Any updated ETA on the search function?
It'll be back right after the site changes over. I'm finishing up the UI design over the next week, and then I'll have a better idea of when to schedule the launch and will announce an ETA.

Once the UI is near completion, I'll begin posting updates more frequently with some examples of the changes.
Unread 06-18-2018, 09:46 PM   #24
Omega Dragon
I'm so Lazy.

I'm looking forward to the new changes, that you keep updating on. I understand the trials and tribulations of building a new site, or should i say modifying an existing one. I wish you the best of luck with it. Thank you for your hard work these many months. =)

Barry the Chopper - Full Metal Alchemist (100%)
Jumbo Cactuar 2.0 - Final Fantasy (2%)
Omega Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #25
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quick update:

Things are shaping up nicely, but right now I'm tentatively scheduling the re-launch for the week after AX. There are two big reasons for this:

First, AX is the most active convention forum on our site, and a lot of our users rely on it for things like the gatherings schedule and looking up info. It stands to reason that some may be relying on PM's as well. The last thing I want to do is have the site go dark on them during the next two weeks while they may need to reference something here.

Second is that the new version organizes based on series and uses the series title as the main keyword for costumes. It's a nice interface where if you want to see all costumes from for example "Code Geass", you just go to the Code Geass series page as a start point.

But what I'm dealing with right now is that there are around 50 different spellings used for Code Geass in the costumes. Not to mention 175 different spellings for "Batman" entries.

I have a quick way of fixing this in place, but it does involve some manual work to combine things into the right series name. Chances are it won't be 100% finished before we update, though it's not a HUGE issue as it can be easily cleaned up as we go. Just be prepared for things to look a little messy at first, like 400 entries for Code Geass right next to 4 others for "Code Gease" and one for "Code Gas".
Unread 07-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #26
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quick update: I am going to begin the data conversion tomorrow, since it's going to take a while. There will be one small issue from this, in that any changes to your profile fields after today will be reverted back to today's version when the site changes over. The only things this will affect are profile fields, like if you change your city name, country, email, etc. It will not have any effect on costumes, photos, or anything you've added to your account.

For the previous marketplace questions - I've thought about everyone's suggestions, and we will be moving back to a dedicated area for one. I hope to have the time to finish it before the re-launch, but there are no guarantees as the code I've done for a marketplace is currently in a bare-bones format at the moment. It's near the top of my list to finish though and really just needs a couple of full days of work to complete. If the conversion is taking longer than expected, then as a side-effect I may have time to finish it. Worst case it'll be one of the first additions post-launch.
Unread 07-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #27
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
For the previous marketplace questions - I've thought about everyone's suggestions, and we will be moving back to a dedicated area for one. I hope to have the time to finish it before the re-launch, but there are no guarantees as the code I've done for a marketplace is currently in a bare-bones format at the moment. It's near the top of my list to finish though and really just needs a couple of full days of work to complete. If the conversion is taking longer than expected, then as a side-effect I may have time to finish it. Worst case it'll be one of the first additions post-launch.
For the marketplace can we please please please make it a rule that all post of costumes for sale have to have a picture of said costume IN THE THREAD (no "PM me for pics" or having a facebook link which you can't access if you don't have an account yourself) and require bust, waist, hips, and height measurements in the post (no "PM me for sizing info") with the rule that any post missing any of the above criteria gets deleted? I feel like this saves any potential buyers a lot of time since they won't have to fire off PMs for things that should be included in the thread, and also helps deter scammers as they can't tell people two different things. Ex. if their costume photos are stolen from someone else's gallery they will get called out on it, they can't change/lie about the size or condition of their costume depending on who's asking, and it forces them to have accountability and put effort into an actual description instead of just "selling X, PM for everything because I'm too lazy/shady to post literally any relevant info".

Also a way to filter costume search results by size would be SUPER helpful as it was one of my biggest issues with the old marketplace as it couldn't do it unless the poster put the size in their title. If you have to it make that a requirement for that to work then so be it, but it's extremely frustrating to have to click and read the whole post for every character costume I'm interested in for measurements when a size filter could weed out 90% of the results for me (ebay has this and I love it).

Future Cosplay Series: Naruto Shippuden, SSB4, Shadowverse, Smite, Final Fantasy, Tales of, Inuyasha, Pokémon

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018

Last edited by Chiagirl : 07-15-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Unread 07-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #28
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
For the marketplace can we please please please make it a rule that all post of costumes for sale have to have a picture of said costume IN THE THREAD (no "PM me for pics" or having a facebook link which you can't access if you don't have an account yourself) and require bust, waist, hips, and height measurements in the post (no "PM me for sizing info") with the rule that any post missing any of the above criteria gets deleted?
Totally, I'm building it from scratch so we can do just about anything with it. It'll be a separate area like the old version had, instead of the forums-based one right now. Requiring certain fields to be filled out is easy to do.

For the bust, waist, hips measurements, the only issue I can think of is that it'd be hard to force requiring it, when some costumes may not need them (e.g. a shirt-only ad wouldn't need hips). I could put something in there like highly suggesting filling it out as it will increase the number of responses, until coming up with something more robust based on usage patterns.

For photos, I can set it to require (x) number of images attached to it.

This is a project I'm continuing on either tomorrow or Tuesday while I'm running more data conversion in the background, so any specific entry field suggestions are very welcome.
Unread 07-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #29
Chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Quote:
Totally, I'm building it from scratch so we can do just about anything with it. It'll be a separate area like the old version had, instead of the forums-based one right now. Requiring certain fields to be filled out is easy to do.

For the bust, waist, hips measurements, the only issue I can think of is that it'd be hard to force requiring it, when some costumes may not need them (e.g. a shirt-only ad wouldn't need hips). I could put something in there like highly suggesting filling it out as it will increase the number of responses, until coming up with something more robust based on usage patterns.

For photos, I can set it to require (x) number of images attached to it.

This is a project I'm continuing on either tomorrow or Tuesday while I'm running more data conversion in the background, so any specific entry field suggestions are very welcome.
Well bust, waist, hips, height are definitely the bare minimum for fields I would have; but other fields like inseam, sleeve length, shoe size, or flat measurements never hurt either. Could you maybe make it that they can't submit it unless at least one field is filled out, as that gets around the issues of partial cosplays. IE pants wouldn't need a bust measurement but they'd have to fill in at least one field so either waist, hips, or height would need an input before they could submit it.

I'd also add back the "Want to Buy / In search of" section as I don't believe our current marketplace has it; but it was a nice feature for people looking to pick up used cosplay, wigs, or props without having to spend a fortune commissioning it. You can see I have to use my sig for this now instead but so far I've only had one person message me about it despite the notice being there for months; so I don't think it's nearly as effective this way. And again some way to search by size would be amazing. (Maybe force a tag of XS - 3XL that they have to apply?)

Conventions Attended:

Anime Detour 2012
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
Costume Con 2016
Anime Midwest 2018
(Nov) Daisho Con 2018

Last edited by Chiagirl : 08-12-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Unread 07-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #30
Admin
Administrator
Not Jackie Chan

Quote:
Well bust, waist, hips, height are definitely the bare minimum for fields I would have; but other fields like inseam, sleeve length, shoe size, or flat measurements never hurt either. Could you maybe make it that they can't submit it unless at least one field is filled out, as that gets around the issues of partial cosplays. IE pants wouldn't need a bust measurement but they'd have to fill in at least one field so either waist, hips, or height would need an input before they could submit it.

I'd also add back the "Want to Buy / In search of" section as I don't believe our current marketplace has it; but it was a nice feature for people looking to pick up used cosplay, wigs, or props without having to spend a fortune commissioning it. You can see I have to use my sig for this now instead, but so far I've only had one person message me about it despite the notice being there for months; so I don't think it's nearly as effective this way. And again some way to search by size would be amazing. (Maybe force a tag of XS - 3XL that they have to apply?)
Thanks, I've copied all of that down for my notes.

I just finished porting over all of the costumes and photos to the new setup - it took a bit longer than anticipated, but as a result I was also able to build out a complete series database and categorize all of the costumes and images. One cool thing about the series db is that you can follow your favorite series' and visit a page listing all of the latest updates for them.

I'm considering setting Aug 7 as the launch date and will decide this weekend, as well as post a few screenshots next week. With the extra week added on, I'm hoping to have a dedicated marketplace ready, but if not it'll be added in the 1st update a week or two later. Even though it's simple enough to make (it's just categories and listings) I know the days directly before and after the launch are going to be crazy.