Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
hayleyhime

Question Any Way to Keep Wood Glue from Pooling?

I use wood glue to seal the majority of my props... it's one of the only things that makes them sturdy enough that I'll feel confident they won't break!

However, I always seem to have an issue where, as I leave the glue to dry it pools like CRAZY and runs down the sides of my pieces/doesn't lay or stay where I apply it. I always get dribbles I have to sand out before putting more glue on.

I've tried letting it get a little tackier before I put it on, but to no avail. I still have to sand things down after every application...

The shapes are typically pretty complex, so them not being able to lay flat may be part of the issue, but am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do differently, or is this normal?

Instagram!
Patreon!
Youtube!
Facebook!

Last edited by hayleyhime : 01-17-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added links
hayleyhime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #2
Penlowe

Thinner layers. If you try to do a thick layer all in one go, you have enough liquid to run and pool. The solution is to use much less, denying the liquid the quantity and density to flow. Gravity always wins, but thinner layers reduce the impact.

Yes, that means more time invested because instead of getting a thick coat in one try, you have to do two or three to get the same thickness, but significantly less pooling and running.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote