Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 03-21-2016, 12:59 AM   #76
LostInTheTardis

I am currently working on my first cosplay DIY and decided to go with some steampunk inspired wings. (I say inspired because I'm still learning) The backplate between the wings will be a functioning clock that I will make and paint from hand (though probably buy the mechanisms for it)

This design is relatively simple because it is my first project ever. I have plans for a far more involved winged jetpack but I want to see if I can complete this first before moving on to the hard stuff (Practice makes perfect! )

Honestly I am a little hesitant to post this because I'm scared of backlash as I've seen quite a few people yelling at and harassing people dressing in steampunk cosplay without "understanding" it. But I adore the aesthetic (even if I can't afford the fancy stuff, so yeah gluing gears and metal stuff to things is going to have to do until I can afford otherwise :/ )

image hosting over 5mb

This Paper, tape, and coat hanger is only a prototype though (and almost entirely haphazardly cut/taped) . I'm basically only trying to get a feel for the size and shape/visuals of the wings and this will likely not be their final form. As I said earlier it will have a functioning wooden clock (with 12 spokes, not 11 in the pic) that will have some embellishments painted and attached later on. The actual wing parts will be fully feathered (I'm thinking hawk inspired colors) and it will all be on a belted harness (I dont know yet if it will be crossbody or just plain shoulder+chest straps)

Last edited by LostInTheTardis : 03-22-2016 at 12:49 PM.
LostInTheTardis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #77
Aundreiya
Ruby Eyes

For one, i don't have the time or space to do any fancy crafts for steam punk so it makes me feel like everyone looks down at me for it because Id shell out $150 for a prop rather than make it myself. . . Putting that aside, I came up with a brilliant plan for a steam punk version of Garnet from Final Fantasy IX! I've been looking to do this for a while, but I was trying too hard to get her outfit color scheme down that I would have settled for something that looked terrible. So it won't be her normal orange color, but more earthy ones, but will still keep the integrity of her original outfit. I'm super excited!
Sunday/Day 0/masquerade: Random Ravenclaw OC
Aundreiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #78
KuruttaKanashii
Tempest in a Teapot

I know what I'm doing this summer. I have some lovely black and green ikat weave fabric that reminds me of the Matrix, and I shall make an overbust corset.
Finished Cosplay: Death (SANDMAN), Trinity (The Matrix), Austria (Axis Powers Hetalia), Izaya (Durarara!!), Mey-Rin (Black Butler), Dodo, Dalekח, Mags (Doctor Who), Femme!Gambit (X-MEN), Poison Ivy (BATMAN)
Future Cosplay: MEIKO ver. Lorelei (Vocaloid), Spellcheck (Microsoft Word), Meryl Stryfe (Trigun), the Mangle (FNaF), Peridot (Steven Universe)

For cosplay photos and selfies, please visit my tumblr
KuruttaKanashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #79
tiredbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheTardis View Post
I am currently working on my first cosplay DIY and decided to go with some steampunk inspired wings. (I say inspired because I'm still learning) The backplate between the wings will be a functioning clock that I will make and paint from hand (though probably buy the mechanisms for it)

This design is relatively simple because it is my first project ever. I have plans for a far more involved winged jetpack but I want to see if I can complete this first before moving on to the hard stuff (Practice makes perfect! )

Honestly I am a little hesitant to post this because I'm scared of backlash as I've seen quite a few people yelling at and harassing people dressing in steampunk cosplay without "understanding" it. But I adore the aesthetic (even if I can't afford the fancy stuff, so yeah gluing gears and metal stuff to things is going to have to do until I can afford otherwise :/ )

image hosting over 5mb

This Paper, tape, and coat hanger is only a prototype though (and almost entirely haphazardly cut/taped) . I'm basically only trying to get a feel for the size and shape/visuals of the wings and this will likely not be their final form. As I said earlier it will have a functioning wooden clock (with 12 spokes, not 11 in the pic) that will have some embellishments painted and attached later on. The actual wing parts will be fully feathered (I'm thinking hawk inspired colors) and it will all be on a belted harness (I dont know yet if it will be crossbody or just plain shoulder+chest straps)
That looks so cool!!! How much progress have you made since posting this? I'd love to see an update.
tiredbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #80
CFHinLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheTardis View Post

image hosting over 5mb

Great start! I'm curious where you are getting crap for steampunk. Not here I hope.

My whole family are preparing to go full steampunk for both cons and just bumping around on the weekend when we feel quirky.

Don't ever let anyone shame you out of something you like (unless it is illegal or dangerous). Be who you are and the rest can accept it or not.
Specializing in high quality wood weapons and props
CFHinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #81
Elycium

@LostInTheTardis - That wing project is looking amazing! How has it come along thus far? I hope you'll share finished pics!

@Aundreiya - That Garnet design sounds fun! I like the idea of the more earthy orange colours - it'll definitely translate better for steampunk, imo.

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #82
Lil Slugger
Criddy

This is what I am working on still. Got to fix some issues on the shoulders that stopped shooting smoke and make my shoes still.

http://i.imgur.com/tx2qn1j.jpg
Lil Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2016, 01:18 AM   #83
Respawning

Currently planning out with a friend some big Victorian Steampunk gowns for next April. We will both be post-baby (me less post than her), so feel like corsets will do the trick for us However, what was supposed to be a simple thrift store costume has now become full fledged gowns, bustles and all, and I'm not sure my skills are up to the task.

Also, anyone have ideas for Steampunk accessories? We will have our babies with us (short con days), so I was thinking some kind of Victorian nursemaid things?

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #84
Elycium

Respawning, you could always attempt to decorate the strollers to looks like victorian baby buggies? or steampunk-y baby buggies.

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender
Unread 09-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #85
Respawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
Respawning, you could always attempt to decorate the strollers to looks like victorian baby buggies? or steampunk-y baby buggies.
She does have a pram she found online that she will be decorating, but the more I think about it, the more I want to carry mine in a wrap/baby carrier as it will be very little and I'm not sure I want a million people breathing directly on it.

I was thinking of finding old school looking bottles to have in holsters.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC

Unread 09-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #86
Elycium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respawning View Post
I was thinking of finding old school looking bottles to have in holsters.
That is a super neat idea!

Unread 01-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #87
Elycium

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...52&oe=58E2F929

I just finished putting this together for Katsu.

Unread 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #88
Anthonyseo
Tony S.

Steamboy

My first cosplay attempt.
I really like the anime Steamboy (2004 Japanese steampunk animated action film produced by Sunrise, directed and co-written by Katsuhiro Otomo, his second major anime release, following Akira)

Mostly aluminum. 3D printed small details like the valve knob and the bolt heads.
Used foam for the bands with the bolts heads.

Anthonyseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #89
Respawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elycium View Post
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...52&oe=58E2F929

I just finished putting this together for Katsu.
Ooo that's nice, lotsa buttons.

I'm trying to start my dress, but it has been a struggle to envision it so I can get an idea of what direction to go in. Hopefully I can still get it done on time, though I only have 7 weeks and soon-to-be 2 children to take care of. Hope my hubby likes taking care of the toddler, cause mama needs to sew stuff!