Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 07-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
Taytchii

Tentacle wig??? THingy??? Anything is appreciated, please help!!!

Y'ALL Im so hyped splatoon 2 is coming our way and this girl is really cute

Does ANYONE have any idea how I can go about making these tentacles so that they look good? How do i get that to sit on my head right like what should be the base? Do I have to so it into a short haired wig or something and hide the actual wig? with the tentacles? I figure I can use wire to give it shape at least. pleeeasse help!!!!

I hope I'm posting right.
Taytchii is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Do you want to go the fiber route where it mimics her tentacles or do you want it to look like wet tentacles?

If the latter, I've seen people successfully use fabric or foam to make adequate shapes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42532335@N08/21216056938
http://imgur.com/J5ddDJV
http://mandisawesomecosplay.tumblr.c...e-on-instagram

I think this cosplayer probably used spray foam covered in paper mache to get this beast
https://nymo.tumblr.com/post/1333243...tures-from-the

Shes so shiny and long though, upholstery foam carved to approximate shape covered in wetlook or pvc fabric could work, using a baseball cap with the visor removed as a base.
DlGlT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Here's an example of that foam shape with wet look over top (very different character, but same basic principle!) However, that method doesn't really give it any "flow" -- it's gonna be rock solid.

A second method is to do a heavily sculpted wig, like the butterfly on this one. You generally make your base out of foam, add glue to the fibers, and use a ton of patience as you glue each layer. You could definitely use expanding foam (super light, super cheap!) to sculpt your base and lay hair down on top.

A third method (which I'll throw out as pure speculation because this might be crazy) would be to make some giant molds and cast it in silicone. Silicone is gonna have that rubbery texture, and you can color it, and it'll wiggle and flow like in those GIFs. It's also commonly used for prosthetics. That said, this could get really heavy, and rather expensive as it's a toooon of silicone... but thought it might be worth at least pondering.

EDIT: Quick googling-- from Reynolds Materials, it's ~$80-100 for a gallon of silicone, depending on which exact type you get. Not sure that'd even be enough. TL;DR 1 gal probably isn't enough, even if you do hollow pieces (you'd be cutting it close).
  • IPRE Robes (The Adventure Zone): 98% (Final Touches) Otakon 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube

Last edited by StarsOfCassiopeia : 07-09-2017 at 09:03 AM.
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Scunosi

Would the liquid latex method for making lekku from Star Wars not work here? Or would it be way too heavy for doing a full head of it? It's the only method I can think of that would get you as much movement as the gifs.

Otherwise I'd recommend using foam and covering it like most of the linked posts. The Octoling wigs look great but also look rock-solid, if it were me I'd prefer upholstery foam so I'd get at least some movement and squish. And while I know there's wet-look PVC (latex? vinyl?) the tentacle wigs I've seen made with it always end up looking wrinkly so I'd try a stretch for smoother fit, unless you're just way better at patterning that kind of fabric. I know I'm not.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West Baby!

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Taytchii

well to get movement as I had mentioned, wouldn't stuffing it with just fluff work? and the using wires to get the shape? When I did callie, and my eevee ears that's what I had done, but there was actual hair involved and tentacles were an attachment!!! see see? If you feel the wire and stuffing wont work also tell me why pleaseee!

What I am so so unsure about is how i can figure out how to sew the shape together for something that is all tentacles AND get it on my head,,,
especially getting it on my head...I'm inexperienced with anything with a basic wig which you just... put on your head... how should I possibly go about the sewing and getting something on my head without the wig? Like..is there some kind of base? Thanks! (I said head a lot....)
Unread 07-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Taytchii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlGlT View Post
Do you want to go the fiber route where it mimics her tentacles or do you want it to look like wet tentacles?

If the latter, I've seen people successfully use fabric or foam to make adequate shapes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42532335@N08/21216056938
http://imgur.com/J5ddDJV
http://mandisawesomecosplay.tumblr.c...e-on-instagram

I think this cosplayer probably used spray foam covered in paper mache to get this beast
https://nymo.tumblr.com/post/1333243...tures-from-the

Shes so shiny and long though, upholstery foam carved to approximate shape covered in wetlook or pvc fabric could work, using a baseball cap with the visor removed as a base.
ahh i missed that last part I always skip important things that are said ((, do you think i could sew this underneath the baseball cap as well? to give me something to bobbypin to my head as well??

http://www.wigs4u.co.uk/pages/humanH...air/index.asp?

not to sound completely stupid...but what do you mean by "fiber?"

Also I really think the foam idea is best as I did more research and thinking, maybe as I get to the end of her tentacles I trade out the foam for wire and stuffing to give it more flow? I'd figure out how to manipulate it so it blends in and you can't tell where the foam ends from the rest.

all these replies are very helpful, thank you!
Unread 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Stuffing and wire will totally work-- it's just a matter of how accurate you want that movement to be. The stuff in the photo looks kinda like satin-- which has a little bit of shine, but not quite that slick, oily look that the wet look PVC will get you. Most sewing fabrics also have a tendency to drape down, so you're gonna get tentacles that (again, like in the photo) hang straight down. Sure, you can get some of that curvy wave with wire, but the more wire you add the stiffer your final product ends up being. That's your trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
Would the liquid latex method for making lekku from Star Wars not work here? Or would it be way too heavy for doing a full head of it? It's the only method I can think of that would get you as much movement as the gifs.
THAT'S IT that's basically what I was trying to describe, but def use latex instead of the silicone nonsense I was spouting off. Latex makes way way way more sense for this application. (Heck, I even found a tutorial!)

IMO, I'd personally go nuts and try for the latex, but if you want to do a fabric version a foam base with wet look spandex is gonna give you the best shine. That said, anything above will work, so pick what you think you can manage/afford!
Unread 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taytchii View Post
not to sound completely stupid...but what do you mean by "fiber?"

Also I really think the foam idea is best as I did more research and thinking, maybe as I get to the end of her tentacles I trade out the foam for wire and stuffing to give it more flow? I'd figure out how to manipulate it so it blends in and you can't tell where the foam ends from the rest.

all these replies are very helpful, thank you!
I believe by "fiber" they mean using fake (or not I guess) hair from a wig to emulate the tentacles. I don't think this would be the look you want but some people may prefer this method.

Regarding wire, it really won't give you any more "flow." As Cass said it'll actually make things stiffer. But it will give you posability, so you could bend and shape the forms how you like manually. Whereas with liquid latex they'd wiggle and jiggle naturally on their own. The liquid latex route would definitely be a lot longer and harder than just stuffing fabric though, which is something to consider if your event is coming up any time in the next few months.

Your idea of swapping out stiffer foam for loose stuffing at the ends isn't a bad alternative either though. If you do that I'd suggest doing it without wire as it'll negate the light flowiness of the stuffing.

Upcoming Conventions
PAX West Baby!

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Yeah, I think DIGIT was using "fiber" to refer to "wig fiber", like loose pieces of wig hair or wefts. You can wrap them around a form (like the antlers on this) or lay it out & glue it down onto a surface (like the butterfly wings here).
Unread 07-16-2017, 04:01 AM   #10
Taytchii

alrighty! I think the best for me would be foam because I didn't really understand the latex tutorial. I guess the last question I have is, people who have done the foam say they pattern the head pieces before putting it together, is there anyway i should be going about that in particular? do I have to? Can I simply just wing it and mess around with shapes? because if I'm being honest I'm not to sure where to start with the patterning idea..............
Unread 07-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #11
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

No, not necessarily, but you'll have to make a pattern eventually if you want to cover it with fabric. It's probably worth it for you to buy some scrap fabric to make a test cover with so you can get the shapes right before you go for the final wet look version.

Alternatively, you can just seal the foam with stuff like plastidip and treat it like you're making an armor piece, then paint that instead. It'll be stiff and look more like the first couple photos DIGIT posted, but it'll work!