Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #87916
Keitarin
Keyblade Wielder

I just applied for a job. I hope I'll get an interview at least.... I'm worried I don't have the experience they're looking for. 3:
Sabitsuki (.flow): 44%
Monoe (Yume Nikki): 25%
Keitarin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #87917
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Long weird post ahead. :P
I had a realization that my parents have never really left the 70's, and it's all rubbed off onto me, to a combination of delight and horror. I love the music- Dad was a musician through the 70's and his records are basically a time capsule of all the best of each genre on top of the sheer amount of new genres that came out in that decade- and television/movies, extremely mixed bag on the fashion, cars weren't as hideous as in the 80's, but I hate the interior decor! Except for conversation pits. Those are so freaking cool.
Fully half our furniture is from that magical, weird time thanks to never buying anything brand new (that said, 70's couches have actual structure and are made for smaller spaces and shorter people. WAY better than the oversized mushbags of today! I love my hideous 70's brocaded couch XD) and I found myself wondering why I hadn't worn too much eyeliner, platforms or bell-bottoms recently while using the record player...
Also, upon some cursory research it was in damn near all the houses I grew up in right up to now. Yellow stove and fridge? Check. They came with the place when Dad moved in in 1996 and never left... Bathroom carpeted? Check. First house I remember living in, and grandma's place. Shag toilet seat cover? Oh god don't remind me. The matching bath mat moved on its own, I swear. Craft revival? My, Mom's or Dad's crafty crap? It was, and is, everywhere. Mom took up macrame and never put it down. :P Pink bathtub and harvest gold bathroom wall tiles? Yyyyyep. Mom's ex-boyfriend never really cared to update his house after 1979, she was delighted when I stained them permanently because she could finally get him to remodel (...in 2013). Record player? of course. Dad loved that thing, though I'm pretty sure ours is mid-80's, not 70's. Cabinet of tacky ceramics? Check. Though that was mostly Grandma. Fake-wood-panelled walls? AHHHHH MY EYES. Books? Mom saved a lot of hers so I had plenty of 70's books growing up (also, my last elementary school was broke as hell so there was little that was newer than ten years old in the library. Nonfiction books usually dated from before the 80's). Oh, and a parking meter. Yeah. Dad accidentally broke it off the post in 1975 with his friends, and in panic they ran off with it and kept it (remember when meters only needed dimes and nickels? You can't even fit a quarter in its slot. Also it weighs at least ten pounds and is solid metal). I put it on our TV stand when dad passed away because it's just that weird and funny an item.
And all the apartments I've lived in, were constructed around then (when I was in high school, actually, I worked in the school library and had access to the archives. Found an aerial photo of the school from 1977 and the apartment I lived in, being just down the street, was a construction site). I was nearly a decade late for the 70's, and yet I've practically lived in it thanks to a combination of history/fashion repeats itself, being too much of a history nerd and my overly nostalgic "let's not move anything forward" folks. Wish I could find this really old online quiz I took many years back of "what decade are you from" again, pretty sure I got the 70's in that one too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #87918
Yukeshiro

I'm having a final exam at my Uni this Thursday. Kinda scared, so wish me luck. ._.
Yukeshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #87919
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

You got this, Yukeshiro!

I've got about 3 million things to do today, which I'm just realizing now... got up early and got started on it, but yikes, I need like four of me to knock all this out.
  • IPRE Robes (The Adventure Zone): 98% (Final Touches) Otakon 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #87920
Lost Cause
You're in my way, sir.

Graduation is tomorrow. Which means having to wear a suit.

Not happy.

Instagram - Facebook
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #87921
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukeshiro View Post
I'm having a final exam at my Uni this Thursday. Kinda scared, so wish me luck. ._.
Good luck!

As for me...I'm seriously thinking of opening my own Etsy shop. Now there are things to consider before opening like what I'm going to sell, how much it will be; and my product has to be, well, good. I don't doubt myself, but I am doing research.
I'm thinking cosplay accessories, like for example I'm thinking of making the dimension bracelets from Yugioh Arc-V. To pair with them I can make the casts' accessories like Celina's hair bow, Yuzu's hair baubles, Ruri's feather hairpin among other things. Not just limited to those things exclusively, but it can be a start.
I studied a little on the business side of things in school so business practices shouldn't be complete a stranger to me, plus reading up on a couple things give me an idea on how to handle things when they go awry.
I'm familiar with how to photograph things as well, how I envision myself packing and sending it off. I know there are fees to pay, but again this is an idea that looks promising.
However I know myself, so right now I'm not jumping on the selling bandwagon right now, I need a little practice behind me before I can make something of good quality. On the bracelet example again, I would need to start practicing casting resin gems, especially for Celina's and Ruri's, since they're both faceted gems which might be harder to cast then a simple green and pink gem, like for Yuzu's and Rin's.
There is one thing that came to mind -- since the bracelet is not an original concept of mine, I don't think it feels...right to make money off of someone else's concept. I know there are shops that I've bought from for my cosplay accessories, and they're not calling the item as their own concept except for them making it themselves, but I'm just curious about that.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 07-13-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #87922
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

So many bats sewn and left to sew... but it's for a good cause... @_@
Quote:
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
Unread 07-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #87923
Viveeh
mango puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeyromanov View Post
There is one thing that came to mind -- since the bracelet is not an original concept of mine, I don't think it feels...right to make money off of someone else's concept. I know there are shops that I've bought from for my cosplay accessories, and they're not calling the item as their own concept except for them making it themselves, but I'm just curious about that.
That's the right thing to feel. Most people would just go and heartlessly milk other people's designs for their own gain. You might get sued, you might not, and you really don't want to play that game. You don't want to collect bad karma!
Calne Ca human ver.
Prince Alphie

Support me
My Instagram
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #87924
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
That's the right thing to feel. Most people would just go and heartlessly milk other people's designs for their own gain. You might get sued, you might not, and you really don't want to play that game. You don't want to collect bad karma!
I don't feel people are 'bad' for making for example Assassin's Creed inspired accessories, whether or not for actual cosplays or for everyday; because people might already know who is behind the designs of the characters. I think animators/producers etc. from Ubisoft and Studio Gallop/Toei Animation or 4Kids (the Japanese and American studio behind Yugioh) are aware of this kind of thing, it's not hard to catch whiff of this especially if we're dressing as characters that they have rights to.
It was an idea I've been playing around with not because I thought it was ok to do so, and I went "Oh, well it's ok because everyone else is doing it". As I'm writing this I'm also thinking of what about people who go to Comic Con and dress as Marvel characters or the various cosplay shops people tend to buy from to make their cosplay - I guess the person is buying it for themselves just to show who they are not for making money.
There is of course more to it than what I previously said and what I'm writing right now.
I'm still not saying it's completely ok, it's in the grey area. Of course I don't want to track any bad karma (already had enough of that). But I definitely do think it is heartless to say "I did make it" when you really didn't when you're selling something.

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."

Last edited by Zoeyromanov : 07-17-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #87925
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

Home from work. Not sure wether to go to the gym or get some atomic chicken wings
KitoCosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #87926
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitoCosplay View Post
Home from work. Not sure wether to go to the gym or get some atomic chicken wings
I'm curious as to what atomic chicken wings are now... are they even spicier than suicide wings or something like that? Or are they just marinated in plutonium?
Quote:
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #87927
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'm curious as to what atomic chicken wings are now... are they even spicier than suicide wings or something like that? Or are they just marinated in plutonium?
They're chicken wings that are coated in a ghost pepper sauce. There's a Quaker steak and lube in my area that has the atomic wing challenge. Eat 6 of their atomic wings and you get a bumper sticker. Or eat 6 of their SUPER atomic wings (hotter than the regular atomic wings) and you get a t shirt.
Unread 07-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #87928
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Well, the boyfriend I found a whole row of chokecherry trees on an evening walk. We're eager to try making chokecherry flour out of them once they're ripe enough!

....also, Mom is tearing her house apart once again. How bad this time? Her friend saw the pictures she shared and said "Did someone steal the entire inside of your house or did you forget where you left the dynamite?..." SHE EVEN RIPPED OUT THE CEILINGS. @_@ ....and we're supposed to visit in two weeks.
Quote:
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #87929
JaceGem
No Longer Afraid

Gonna be starting college soon and my anxiety levels are set to maximum but I'm still psyched to go.

Tumblr

Twitter
JaceGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2017, 01:27 AM   #87930
KitoCosplay
Best chin on Cosplay.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitoCosplay View Post
They're chicken wings that are coated in a ghost pepper sauce. There's a Quaker steak and lube in my area that has the atomic wing challenge. Eat 6 of their atomic wings and you get a bumper sticker. Or eat 6 of their SUPER atomic wings (hotter than the regular atomic wings) and you get a t shirt.
UPDATE- I managed to try just one of their Triple atomic wings. Yep, they're pretty potent. I'm gonna have to prepare if I'm gonna undertake their wing challenge before summer lets out