Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Hellsing

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Kaiser88
Registered User
 
Kaiser88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Captain Hans (Hellsing)

So, I just now joined but I'm really curious about what some of you Hellsing cosplayers do for the Captain. Now, I'm a huge WW2 buff, and I've noticed through reading Manga and watching all there is to see about Hellsing, that there is no mention of him being in the DAK (Deutsche Afrika Korps) other than the manga "Desert Defender" which isn't directly connected to Hellsing. There in lies the problem. The Captains uniform seems to be Green (such as the DAK wore) and not feldgrau (field-grey) like most SS soldiers would have worn. I mean, I'm extremely OCD about uniformity, and this is just driving me insane. I would only buy reproduction German uniforms (I see getting one made to be pointless, seeing as how it's a military uniform, and already made through reenactment suppliers). I know there are a few web sites that I regularly buy from that have extensive German uniforms, but I cant find the Captains in the correct color.

Anyone have any ideas? The German M42 Greatcoat would be perfect, if it wasn't grey.... I feel like I'm going insane here.

TLDR: What color is acceptable for the Captains uniform?
Kaiser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Zankoku
Registered User
 
Zankoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 78
I would probably stick with the green. Since the character design is essentially (or, at least, I presume) pulled from the prototype manga, sticking with that scheme is your best bet for accuracy in regards to the character. Where he is from and where he served prior in Hellsing's primary canon might not be mentioned, but you can tell just by the character names in Millennium that they are not all from the same region (Also, I think it can also go to show on a more symbolic note how he is different from the rest of Millennium-- but that is just my personal thinking).

On another note, Hirano is not always consistent with historical designs when it comes to designs for character garments (see Schrodinger's arm band, which is a hybrid of the Hitler Jugend arm band and the general Nazi armband). It's not impossible for the design to be inconsistent with historical ones. However, my knowledge of uniforms is not exactly intimate.

In any case, I'll let you know if I manage to locate a coat matching his. Are you doing the cosplay for a particular con?

Last edited by Zankoku : 03-20-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Zankoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Kaiser88
Registered User
 
Kaiser88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankoku View Post
I would probably stick with the green. Since the character design is essentially (or, at least, I presume) pulled from the prototype manga, sticking with that scheme is your best bet for accuracy in regards to the character. Where he is from and where he served prior in Hellsing's primary canon might not be mentioned, but you can tell just by the character names in Millennium that they are not all from the same region (Also, I think it can also go to show on a more symbolic note how he is different from the rest of Millennium-- but that is just my personal thinking).

On another note, Hirano is not always consistent with historical designs when it comes to designs for character garments (see Schrodinger's arm band, which is a hybrid of the Hitler Jugend arm band and the general Nazi armband). It's not impossible for the design to be inconsistent with historical ones. However, my knowledge of uniforms is not exactly intimate.

In any case, I'll let you know if I manage to locate a coat matching his. Are you doing the cosplay for a particular con?
Yah, me and my roomies are hitting up Youmacon this year in October. I'm going to stick with the green DAK coat. This brings up a new issue though. There is no such thing as a green M43 officers cap. And simply dying a grey one green wouldn't work as they are different fabrics. ugh....

Damn you, Hirano...
Kaiser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Zankoku
Registered User
 
Zankoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser88 View Post
Yah, me and my roomies are hitting up Youmacon this year in October. I'm going to stick with the green DAK coat. This brings up a new issue though. There is no such thing as a green M43 officers cap. And simply dying a grey one green wouldn't work as they are different fabrics. ugh....

Damn you, Hirano...
It's the fate of most fans of Hellsing to simultaneously curse and adore him. I still shake my head at his usage of some things (like American Spirits).

Also, pictures. You must show me them once you get this done. I haven't seen a Captain cosplayer in years.
Zankoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Kaiser88
Registered User
 
Kaiser88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankoku View Post
It's the fate of most fans of Hellsing to simultaneously curse and adore him. I still shake my head at his usage of some things (like American Spirits).

Also, pictures. You must show me them once you get this done. I haven't seen a Captain cosplayer in years.
Sure thing, Youmacon isn't until October but I could show you some stuff before then.
Kaiser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Zankoku
Registered User
 
Zankoku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 78
Awesome. Additionally, it occurred to me that you might be able to get the grey coat and cap and dye them both green. That would solve the different fabrics issue, at least.

On a random side-note, I have wanted to cosplay Walter for years and years. Every version of him. So I'm glad people are still cosplaying from Hellsing.
Zankoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.