Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Dr. Suess

One more thing.....

Hey,
So I'll be making armor outta EVA foam sheets. Is e6000 adhesive what I'll be needing? Or is there a better adhesive out there for foam? One thing to note is that there might be a base piece, such as a helmet, etc., that I'll be wrapping in the EVA foam, and it'll need to completely adhere to whatever piece that may be. It'll also need to be able to adhere to other pieces of the foam. Those points taken into account, what are my adhesive options for this project? Wanna get the strongest and best stuff available; I've never known a glue to be very expensive lol.
Dr. Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

E6000 is pretty much a standard, especially with clothing options. It's flexible, waterproof, heatproof aside from direct flame, and pretty much near-indestructable. It bonds nearly anything, so no worries about foam-2-base or foam-2-foam. I used it on my Raiden costume to adhere the craft foam (which is just really thin EVA foam anyway) to my tights and leotard, because I needed the flexibility since it was all skintight on my body.

However, it requires time, usually a day or two, to fully cure. You'd need to clamp the pieces together as it dries. In most cases, as long as you're careful in clamping so you don't dmamage the foam, you should be ok.

Hot glue works well also, but you have the heat resistance factor; direct sunlight on a car will melt hot glue pretty quick.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Dr. Suess

Excellent; thank you for the info. I'll just stick to e6000. Now I can't wait to get started
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
GCNgamer128
coded & united

NO! Do NOT use E6000.

If it's EvaFoam, HOT GLUE is the ONLY way to go.

E6000 will work, but it will basically take 3 days to dry, plus it doesn't soak into the foam like hot glue will.
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
Dr. Suess

Curious, why would you pick hot glue over e6000? I've learned a lot about both, and hot glue can be a problem if you have high temperatures or direct sunlight for any extended length of time. Also, the projects that I've made in the past have not done well at all with hot glue; it doesn't hold very well. This project requires something that will hold like cement due to the performance requirements that are involved. But just for scientific purposes, could you compare hot glue and e6000 with facts vs facts or pros/cons of both from your point of view? I'm always open to new information, regardless of what my own opinion is currently, or what information I currently have.
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #6
GCNgamer128
coded & united

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_sosongco View Post
Hot glue works well also, but you have the heat resistance factor; direct sunlight on a car will melt hot glue pretty quick.
Hot Glue melts at 250F/120C.
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
GCNgamer128
coded & united

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Suess View Post
Curious, why would you pick hot glue over e6000? I've learned a lot about both, and hot glue can be a problem if you have high temperatures or direct sunlight for any extended length of time. Also, the projects that I've made in the past have not done well at all with hot glue; it doesn't hold very well. This project requires something that will hold like cement due to the performance requirements that are involved. But just for scientific purposes, could you compare hot glue and e6000 with facts vs facts or pros/cons of both from your point of view? I'm always open to new information, regardless of what my own opinion is currently, or what information I currently have.
I've worked with a ton of materials and a ton of adhesives in my life, and I can tell you that hot glue is basically the ONLY way to go when it comes to EVA Foam. E-6000 will hold, but will eventually give in over time. Hot Glue however will fuse with the foam due to the heat pressing against it as it dries, something that will not happen with an air-drying adhesive.

As stated above in my previous post, Hot Glue will melt at 250F and E-6000 will melt at 150F. Eva Foam melts at 267F

If you're worried about heat, then hot glue is definitely the way to go when you are working with foam.

If it's plastic, use E-6000.

If it's EVA Foam, use hot glue.
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Dr. Suess

Interesting, but could you compare the 2 for me? I'd really like to know facts comparison from your point of view on them, and why you say hot glue over e6000. If time is a factor, it's not for me; I have ample time and don't mind letting something cure for a few days. I just need something that will hold without fail, even under high stress, not be affected by direct sunlight or if I forgot to take the costume out of the car on a hot day, and that is water proof and flexible. So what can you tell me in cold hard facts about each of those 2 adhesives?

Well that's some good info to think about. Sorry; it didn't refresh before I posted my last posting. As for the hot glue being affected by high temperatures and direct sunlight, ending up deformed (when it's below 250 degrees), what info can you tell me? And you say that e6000 melts at a lower temp than hot glue?

Also, part of the project will involve wrapping a helmet in the foam for aesthetic modifications. That's not just gonna be foam on foam; what sort of advice would ya have about that sort of project? You seem to know a lot about this, so I'd like to know more.

Last edited by Yui : 06-19-2011 at 02:55 AM. Reason: merged triple-post
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
GCNgamer128
coded & united

If it's going to be foam on plastic or something, go with the E-6000. Hot Glue has trouble sticking to plastic sometimes unless you sand it, you need to give it a tooth to grab onto. Even though you'd be using e-6000, you should still sand it down and put the glue down, you should also score the foam a bit on the side the glue will touch with an x-acto knife.
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:59 AM   #10
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCNgamer128 View Post
Hot Glue however will fuse with the foam due to the heat pressing against it as it dries, something that will not happen with an air-drying adhesive.
...If it's EVA Foam, use hot glue.
Oh yeah, sing it, bro. ^_-

Dr. Suess = Basically (flexible) contact adhesives are *great* if you are doing a tech involving fabric or pvc-covering over foam. But if you are simply trying to connect EVA foam to itself, (high temp) hot glue actually merges the pieces of foam together, permanently.
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Dr. Suess

Coolness guys; thanks again. Guess I'll have to use both adhesives.
Unread 06-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #12
VeiledTear

Hot glue...😑

For me, living in Phoenix, AZ, hot glue doesnt work. It may melt in higher temps, but the bonds become weaker, and myself and a lot of people have not had luck with it. It seems like the hot glue gods are fickle, though. Ive used a variety and its never worked for me... but I know a rare few lucky people whove rarely or never had an issue. When its getting over 100 degrees here in summers, I wont risk further future failures😕
VeiledTear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
DlGlT
Just call me Digit

Please check thread dates before commenting.
DlGlT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #14
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Commenting to hopefully give better information to readers who click on this ancient thread.

For EVA, don't use E6000, don't use hot glue.

Use a contact cement such as Barge brand cement. Read the instructions thoroughly. Apply a thin layer to both surfaces, then walk away for 5-10 minutes, until the cement is tacky and not wet-looking. THEN press the pieces together.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #15
walkerofdarknes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiledTear View Post
For me, living in Phoenix, AZ, hot glue doesnt work. It may melt in higher temps, but the bonds become weaker, and myself and a lot of people have not had luck with it. It seems like the hot glue gods are fickle, though. Ive used a variety and its never worked for me... but I know a rare few lucky people whove rarely or never had an issue. When its getting over 100 degrees here in summers, I wont risk further future failures😕
South Florida here, and I know that pain. If you check your local hardware store (to be sure Lowe's or Home Depot) in their adhesive section you'll find Dap Weldwood contact adhesive. It'll take a bit longer to adhere (decent set at 15m, needs 24h to really be solid), but it'll hold forever after that.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote