Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
CarolBear
CarolBear

Adhesive for EVA foam

hey everyone,

So I looked around online a bit and I'm hearing that hot glue is most common for gluing EVA foam together, I'm just wondering if its strong enough for holding an object? In my case, it's my sword that I posted in another thread but I'm just curious if the hot glue will hold together if the EVA foam is a sheath holding a wooden sword?

Or would https://www.rona.ca/en/adhesive---pl...ction-adhesive (Premium PL construction adhesive) be better? That's what I'm using to for my wooden sword cause its apparently one of the strongest adhesives for wood

Thanks for the tips
CarolBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #2
walkerofdarknes

Go to your local hardware store, look for something called Dap Weldwood Contact Cement. Comes in quart cans, you'll find it in the adhesive section. You apply the contact cement to BOTH sides of your seam, let it dry about 10-15 minutes (the glue becomes tacky) then press them together. Then it'll hold forever after it sets. Hot glue might fail depending on where you live and how long it has to be in a car.
walkerofdarknes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Penlowe

Yes and no.
hot glue will hold foam to foam just fine. Foam holding a weighty object, maybe, maybe not. Your glued seams might hold only for the foam itself to fail. If the second layer of material you use has good structural integrity, it should be fine. (referencing the other thread where a layer of leather look vinyl was discussed)

Don't stack your seams. If the foam is two pieces sandwiched, don't cut the vinyl exactly the same because it won't lend any structural integrity. Wrap the vinyl around and have it's seam run up the center of the sheath (the side that touches your back when wearing). That way the vinyl reinforces where the foam has seams.
Unread 07-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
CarolBear
CarolBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Yes and no.
hot glue will hold foam to foam just fine. Foam holding a weighty object, maybe, maybe not. Your glued seams might hold only for the foam itself to fail. If the second layer of material you use has good structural integrity, it should be fine. (referencing the other thread where a layer of leather look vinyl was discussed)

Don't stack your seams. If the foam is two pieces sandwiched, don't cut the vinyl exactly the same because it won't lend any structural integrity. Wrap the vinyl around and have it's seam run up the center of the sheath (the side that touches your back when wearing). That way the vinyl reinforces where the foam has seams.
yeah that makes sense, I'm glad I clarified before using the hot glue. And oh that sounds like it would be good actually, that would be great. So I think I'll use the Dap to glue the eva foam together and then I'll wrap the vinyl like you suggested.

Thanks, again, for your help!
Unread 07-05-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
CarolBear
CarolBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerofdarknes View Post
Go to your local hardware store, look for something called Dap Weldwood Contact Cement. Comes in quart cans, you'll find it in the adhesive section. You apply the contact cement to BOTH sides of your seam, let it dry about 10-15 minutes (the glue becomes tacky) then press them together. Then it'll hold forever after it sets. Hot glue might fail depending on where you live and how long it has to be in a car.
awesome thank you, so I shouldn't stick them together after applying the adhesive? Or are you saying that I can but once theyre stuck together then wait for 10-15 minutes?
Unread 07-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
Penlowe

Contact cements of all brands have a specific way that they work. It's weird and it doesn't feel like it should, but it does.

paint glue on both surfaces to be adhered.
WAIT
when glue gets tacky, THEN you press the parts together firmly and hold them tight. For foam, you can wrap strips of cloth to do that temporary holding as you don't want to mark up the foam like binder clips would.
Let it sit to dry fully according to the package directions.

Done correctly, it won't ever come apart.
Unread 07-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
CarolBear
CarolBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Contact cements of all brands have a specific way that they work. It's weird and it doesn't feel like it should, but it does.

paint glue on both surfaces to be adhered.
WAIT
when glue gets tacky, THEN you press the parts together firmly and hold them tight. For foam, you can wrap strips of cloth to do that temporary holding as you don't want to mark up the foam like binder clips would.
Let it sit to dry fully according to the package directions.

Done correctly, it won't ever come apart.
Ohhhhh okay, I understand now. Thank you for clearing that up for me otherwise I might have done it incorrectly. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!