Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 08-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

Skirt Help Needed

I'm doing a 'sakura lolita' outfit, and I had a quick question about skirts.

For loli, what's appropriate to go under the skirt? I don't mean underwear, I mean fabric-wise. Is it okay to use a tulle-type material? I'd go with a CosWorx petticoat, but I'm kinda tight money-wise right now. The actual skirt material is silk brocade, btw. I want to add 'foof' to it >_<
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
feytaline

Ah, you mean a petticoat, I believe. Tulle material works wonders, and petticoats are very simple to make. Take a few yards of a lining material as wide as you want the petti to be long, two pieces of tulle that is as wide as your lining material, and sew them together (it helps if the second layer is sewn an inch or two lower than the first one, and underneath it). Fold the edge over to make a tube. Take elastic that's cut to be about your waist size, and string it through the 'tube.' Sew up the side and voila, a basic petticoat that will give all the poof you need. If it's too much poof, unsew the side and cut a few feet off your tulle/lining material. Too little? You'll need to add more, or perhaps use stiffer tulle. Since you're using a lightweight material, you shouldn't need too much stiffness.

To maintain poof, store the petticoat by pulling it inside out, and hanging the bottom part of the lining on top with the tulle hanging upside-down from it.

I've heard that Cosworx (actually Leg Avenue) pettis don't work for Gothic & Lolita style petticoats at all. So you may wish to avoid them. I commissioned someone on the Livejournal EGL community for a petti that only cost me $25. But pettis are so simple to make, i don't think you'll have to worry about it!

Er... i hope that all makes sense. I really need to do a tutorial someday.
Unread 08-25-2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Insignificant
Supersonik, elektronik

That was one of the most helpful things I've ever read.
I want to see you in Loli, Rain x3 Make sure to post pictures if I never have the opportunity to personally see it on you x33.
Thank you.
Insignificant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Rain Miko
I wanna be your prince!

I will xD I think it'll be quite odd, since I've never worn anything of the sorts.
Rain Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I may be wrong, but there seem to be a few kinds of tulle-ish fabric out there. Some are stiffer than others. I purchased a skirt made of tulle-type fabric, but it was very soft, which is a bonus because it's not itchy, but it's certainly not very poofy. I think if you want enough structure to support the overskirt and create volume, you need to be working with the stiff sort of tulle.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Aleera
Master Thief

Thanks for putting the question out there. I'm always wanting to improve things myself.