Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 08-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Ophely

How to be a good lolita on a budget (tips and tricks)

I've been on this board for only a few days and all I keep seeing is "I'm new to the world of lolitas", "what am I gonna do", "it's so expensive", etc. So maybe I should share some tips about how to be a good lolita, and still respecting your budget. It's not that hard, you just need to know where to go and what to look for.

First of all, I hope you already read what EGL is all about, I will take this for granted. Second, you should have a look at http://www.freewebs.com/brokendolly/index.html under "lolita styles" to try to find a style that is yours. People tend to think it's only gothic lolita, but there are many other styles, and you should find one that is good for you. Knowing a little more will get you out of the stereotype of the "cosplay lolita" who does it wrong.

Another site you should absolutely visit is: http://www.avantgauche.co.uk/ If you were buying the Gothic Lolita Bibles only for pictures of your favourite brands, this will save you a lot of money! By surfing in the gallery, you will find an incredible number of possibilities for your own clothes. It also gives you previews of some books (I'll come back on this later in this text).

If you are a beginner lolita and have no loli clothes at all, adding this new style to your closet will probably be a hard time. So we have to start being creative. The casual lolita style is fairly easy to do and great for beginners. You can still wear your favourite t-shirts with a nice skirt. On this site http://www.geocities.com/roriitapage/ you will find simple patterns for two skirts under "DIY". So you've already got 2 free patterns, how nice is that?

Plus, if you're starting, do not do things you don,t like because you've been told it's lolita, and do not do things you don't understand. Keep it simple and clean, and be yourself. You'll feel much better that way.

The "Bibles" are well known and they were probably your first purchase if you ever bought anything loli-related. But you will certainly agree it's quite expensive for a big catalogue. And since most of the brands shown do not ship outside of Japan, and anyway are very expensive clothing, they do not fit on our list for the budget lolita.

But don't be sad, Japaneses are very intelligent people and they produced more than one magazine on the subject. The "Gossu Loli" ("Gothic & Lolita"?) magazines are published twice a year and are filled with patterns to make your own clothes. So you can order those and make nice and elegant clothes you will like without sending all your precious money to Japan (and you'll keep some bread on your table). Plus, the patterns come in 4 sizes (S, M, L, LL) which is already a plus for us tall and strong Occidentals who cannot fit in a japanese small. If you have money only for one book, check on Avant Gauche (see the link earlier in this message) and pick the one that you like the most and that will be the most useful for you.

They usually have some tips for beginners too, like easy clothes and mix-match clothes (see this exemple: http://www.avantgauche.co.uk/gr6/19.jpg it shows how to make 4 different looks with the same clothes). So I highly recommend them.

To use the Gossu Loli books, you will need to know how to sew (if you're here, I guess you have some notions). If you're used to american patterns, forget the slogan "it's so easy, it's Simplicity". The patterns are all printed on the same paper (don't worry, they use colors to seperate the pieces) and you will need to trace those on your own paper (I recommend the kind of half-transparent paper that we use for gift bags, you can buy this bulk). The instructions are numbered and illustrated, so you don't need to understand japanese so well to get the idea. I heard (could someone confirm this?) that the patterns in Cosplay magazines come in a similar format, so if you can understand those you will be fine.

In order to help you with the Gossu Loli patterns, you should print the PDF on this site: http://www.antipope.org/feorag/gosurori/ I think the file is self-explainative.

Other books you might want to look at if you can are:
- Homemade Gothic Lolita: It has been out of print for quite a long time now and I don't think we can expect it to come back. But apparently it contains all the basic clothes a good lolita would ever need. If you can find it (and you'll be lucky), it's an interesting purchase.
- G-L Bible Extras: There are only 2 of those so far. They contain a lot more patterns than a Bible could ever afford and some tips as well. I've never seen those in person but they look quite well done. It might be a must.

I know many online stores have those books and if you want to order them from your favourite place, that's ok. However, I will recommend http://www.hlj.com/ because they are the cheapest I've seen so far.

I think that's all for now. If I can think of something else, I'll add it later.

Have a good day and take care.

Jenn
Ophely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
ragdollface
Trouble in River City

Those links are great! Thanks so much, Jenn, these really help me a lot.
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
CobwebClutter

I friggin' love you! This is a massive help! I'm rather new to the loli world myself, and I've got to admit that some of the people you meet on-line are very scary. I now know that I can easily fit into four different loli groups without having to buy much (just some ribbons, some knee highs since the ones I had were attacked by the cat, and some lace). Thanks again!
CobwebClutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Jenn, where do you find the books on HLJ.com? I tried searching but came up empty-handed.

--PD
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Ophely

You're all welcome. The lolita fashion should never be scary!

Penny, HLJ's website is always hard to figure out at first but once you got it right, you know the trick and you can do it with your eyes closed. On the top of the page, you certainly see a red menu with aircrafts, cars, figures, etc. At the right of this menu you will see "Books and Mags", click on this joyously. On the left of this page, you will see a menu (this is probably where you researched). You can find the books under "series name" as Gothic Lolita, but can also go under item type (which I think is easier) and select "fashion books". Then you'll arrive on a crazy page full of titles. Try NOT to look at the cosplay magazines (that might be harder, huh?) and you'll find Gothic & Lolita (the official translation I guess) by Boutique-Sha, and probably all the bibles ever published. They don't have them all in stock, which only proves they sell them pretty fast. But the price range is between 8$ and 10$ US, so it makes sense.

And again, I made a simple answer as long as can be... I hope I can help at least.
Unread 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Thanks, Jenn! My clicking was certainly joyous!

--Pen
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Ophely

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoy it.