Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 07-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Midoriko
Death also comes in pink!

New Lolita E-zine!

I am starting an e-zine for the lolita fasion. One of the articles are about Lolitas going to cons, or just lolita cosplayers in general. Does anyone have anything I should add to this particular article?
Midoriko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
MadCadaver
Model, designer, artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoriko
I am starting an e-zine for the lolita fasion. One of the articles are about Lolitas going to cons, or just lolita cosplayers in general. Does anyone have anything I should add to this particular article?
Many lolis don't consider themselves cosplayers. ( D D) ...they gonna eat choo!
Unread 07-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Midoriko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCadaver
Many lolis don't consider themselves cosplayers. ( D D) ...they gonna eat choo!
Well, I'm refering to both. The loli's who go to conventions, and the people who cosplay loli.
Unread 07-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Minamino Haruka
Diwata ng Kasayahan

@ MadCadaver: But then there ARE people who cosplay as lolitas. They're the type who can't afford to dress lolita everyday and so must stick to the cons if they want to wear lolita clothes. They may also be those who dress up as lolitas whenever they feel like it just because they find lolitas pretty, and not because they take the lolita lifestyle (ala Novala Takemoto) seriously.
Minamino Haruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
MadCadaver
Model, designer, artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minamino Haruka
@ MadCadaver: But then there ARE people who cosplay as lolitas. They're the type who can't afford to dress lolita everyday and so must stick to the cons if they want to wear lolita clothes. They may also be those who dress up as lolitas whenever they feel like it just because they find lolitas pretty, and not because they take the lolita lifestyle (ala Novala Takemoto) seriously.
And I feel as though that would definitely be something to mention.
Unread 07-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
aoisakura
=^._.^=

I used to dress loli everyday but then after I got full time work I couldn't (as I used too do my real hair in those doll curls everytime I did, that took 2hrs as that was XD) but no, I wouldn't think everyday lolis are cosplayers, even if they don't follow the lifestyle of the lolita as described by Nobara-san. That would be like calling punks cosplayers ^^;
Unread 07-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Keilania
Sweet Lover Muffin

I'm actually a big noob when it comes to lolita. One thing would be intresting is to include the differences between the cosplay lolita and everyday; what are some common differences and styles etc.
Keilania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
SloaneElizabeth
Life is Lovely

Lolita: Cosplay vs. Everyday dress

Hi,Keilania
This is my opinion on the difference between Lolitas and "Lolita Cosplay" : ( Don't hate me if you don't agree ,lol)

I believe that the term Lolita is very subjective; It can be interpreted in many differnt ways. Some people feel and follow Lolita as a life style. These people follow certain guidlines and base their beliefs, morals, actions,etc... on the Lolita way of life . Other people are simply attracted to the clothes because they like the style ( fluffy skirts,lace, curls, etc...)and may wear these clothes for fun, or to a con.

*I do not believe, however, that someone who is cosplaying a character who dresses in the Lolita style is a "True" Lolita. ( Example: a girl coplaying the character Mary Weather from Godchild)

* However, I also feel that just because a person dresses (or does not dress) in the Lolita style neccesarily makes them( or does not make them) a "Lolita"-at least at heart. I think that it really all depends on wether or not the person " nurtures the Rococco spirit" or not. <quote from the novel Kamikaze Girls by Novala Takemoto.

Anyway, I hope this helps-at least a little.( Or maybe I've just confused everyone 0-o ,lol..sorry)

-Sloane

***Oh, by the way, you should really pick up the novel Kamikaze Girls- it gives a very informative view into the world of Lolita.

Last edited by SloaneElizabeth : 07-14-2006 at 08:25 PM.
SloaneElizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Midoriko

Well, Ive noticed that alot of cosplay lolita seemes to be silk, or silk-like materials, while most normal lolita that I see, or own/wear are mainly made out of cotton-ish type fabric. I only have one dress that is every-day wear that is made out of shiny silk-type fabric. Well, that's the difference to me anyways.
Unread 07-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Midoriko

Ooh yeah, also, the e-zine is at http://www.freewebs.com/mdmagazine and will be up by monday.
Unread 07-15-2006, 05:45 AM   #11
aoisakura
=^._.^=

Yep, thats probably because its not really prqactical to wear silk everyday XD And cotton is much nicer for loli dresses and such
Unread 07-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Zevaluz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloaneElizabeth
***Oh, by the way, you should really pick up the novel Kamikaze Girls- it gives a very informative view into the world of Lolita.
I did not read the book yet, but I *quite* enjoyed the movie. I will likely seek out the novel soon.

(tangent alert)
This conversation about Lolita reminds me of the conversations that always arise about 'goth'. Some people embrace everything goth, some just like the fashion - some embrace the spirit while eschewing the fashion (though goth has a lot of subcats' just like Lolita).

I think with any fashion-tangent subculture, if you only dress that way every so often (ala Enid in Ghost World) then you'll be considered somewhat an outsider by those who dedicate themselves to it full time. That may be something interesting to talk about in your ezine.
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Misa-chan
batteries not included

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midoriko
Well, Ive noticed that alot of cosplay lolita seemes to be silk, or silk-like materials, while most normal lolita that I see, or own/wear are mainly made out of cotton-ish type fabric. I only have one dress that is every-day wear that is made out of shiny silk-type fabric. Well, that's the difference to me anyways.
Mmmm I think you might have meant satin? And Kamikaze Girls is a great for reference, I just got it at Borders. ^^

I actually got into lolita because of cosplay, and I don't necessarily think that not taking the Rococo lifestyle 'seriously' makes anyone less of a lolita. I know MY lifestyle doesn't allow much time to take it that seriously, so I make time for dressing loli & doing the tea parties etc. when I know that other lolis will be around like cons or local meetups. Convenient and fun. ^^

:: Next: Anime North 09 ::
-Formal Casca (Berserk)
-Shinobu (No More Heroes)
-Bunny Bulma (Dragon Ball)
-Yamine Aku adult ver. (Vocaloid)[?]

2009: Setsucon, Katsucon, Anime North, Anime Expo, Otakon, NYAF, AUSA

Last edited by Misa-chan : 07-16-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Misa-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
RikoBurandetsu
Account Retired

I agree with your differenciation between the two, Loli girls and Loli cosplayers. And I especially like what you said about it being in the heart. I may not be able to afford dressing like a Loli every day, but a little part of me 'nurtures the Rococo spirit'.

I suggest that for your e-zine, you thoroughly research the history and current affairs of the Japanese Lolita sub-culture. I myself am fascinated by it, and there are quite a few very useful articles on the subject, describing their views, lifestyle, and origins. The Wikipedia articles on the subject are a great place to start.

Kumoricon 2010
Hime - Kaibutsu Oujo [10%]
Kanzaki Hitomi - Vision of Escaflowne [100%]
RikoBurandetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
Midoriko

I have always had the Rococo spirit, however, untill recently, I have not been able to get my hands on Lolita clothing (I sew them now). I got into the actual Lolita fashion 2 years ago, however I never thought it was so popular! Thats why I want to help people learn more about the thing I love most. Well, that and sewing/cosplay in general...I dunno. It's a very emotional subject for me. I dunno...sorry... I seem to be going on like I morron again...sorry...