Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 09-24-2006, 02:57 AM   #1
KissTheNinja
Double Soup Tuesday

Questions about EGL and EGA

I'm really curious about this EGA and EGl stuff so I have a few questions. Please don't mind my stupidity. Aside from that, is EGL and EGA just for girls?

Unread 09-24-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
Karisu-sama
Cosplay.Mom: "Play nice!"
Board Moderator

The quick answer is "no", there are male styles as well.
Karisu-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
KissTheNinja
Double Soup Tuesday

Ok, cool. Another question. Is it wrong to buy an EGA costume?
Unread 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
Ophely

No, you can buy it (if you participate to a contest though, you might want to check the rules first, but for your everyday wear you can do whatever you want). But it'll probably be more expensive to buy it than make it.

Aristocrat is a very good choice (and by far one of my favourites)! It's stylish and elegant, and you can buy some regular gothic stuff to complement.

I can't wait to see your new cool look!
Ophely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM   #5
KissTheNinja
Double Soup Tuesday

I'm looking to spend about 180 dollars on something I found. Sadly enough I took a trip into Hot Topic to find some boots and stuff to go with it. So, more than likely I'm looking to spend about 240 dollars out of the 650 dollars I have saved for A-kon. I just don't know if EGA is the right choice.
Unread 09-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
KissTheNinja
Double Soup Tuesday

Hmm, another question. Would this be considered EGA?

http://store.prostores.com/fanplusfr.../g00031_02.jpg
Unread 09-24-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
nozomiwhitewolf
J'adore Lady Oscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissTheNinja
Hmm, another question. Would this be considered EGA?

http://store.prostores.com/LUMBERJAC.../g00031_02.jpg
the link doesn't work

I've never seen guys wearing EGL stuff (I don't even know what EGA stands for...) but the 'aristocrat' style someone mentioned sounds cool! And sexy!
Make sure to post your outfit so we can see!!
nozomiwhitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
satsuke

There are (genetically) male EGL cosplayers out there. I can only speak from personal experience (and I can't say if I do it well or not), but I happen to be one of them.

If you think you can handle the large amount of attention (photos and comments), don't mind getting hot and sweaty (literally), can get over wearing clothes that most guys are not accustomed to, and can just have fun with it, than doing an EGL crossplay can be the way to go.

Ironically, I've very rarely seen a guy doing EGA cosplay .. no idea why, other than the fact that the fabrics and general look are close enough to lolita fashion to elicit the small amount of "that's gay" reaction from certain people who don't get it anyway.

EGL/EGA does have certain advantages for a guy getting into it (and this applies for girls too to some extent). Since the dress style is generally very conservative (outside of short skirts, which isn't a requirement), you can get away with some things that would kill some other cosplays.

Like not having to shave chest / legs / underarms, not having to do anything with head hair (well, other than shaving face). The style is open to most body types .. you might not be able to do the traditional japanese EGL style .. small hips / small chest . but I don't know all that many american girls that are not teenagers who fit the ideal build perfectly.

As far as cost, $200 should be enough to get an outfit going. There are some chinese makers that might be able to help there if cost is an issue, though I speak from personal experience in saying the results are very hit or miss (if you go that route, order early and be sure to add 2 inches to all your measurements .. they apparently don't know what a seam allowance is).

Anyway, if you think you can have fun wearing these types of clothes .. than go for it ..

Satsuke
satsuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Malicious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elegant_Gothic_Aristocrat