Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #20401
rajamitsu

Oh, multiple pieces of reference art, why can you not agree on that piece's general shape? :|
rajamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #20402
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
In regards to people who show up at cons to "freak spot", I'd love to say something to them. Namely, that since cons aren't free to get into, and even a day pass costs money- guess what? When they paid their admission, they just kissed the con's ass by giving it money! Also, how sad and pathetic it is to spend time and money hanging out in places you don't like, just to find people to hose on.

Actually.. not all cons are really diligent about that. I've known people who try to get out of paying for a badge because they just want to hang out in the "common" areas, such as the hotel lobby with their friends, and not go to panels, dealers room, artist alley, etc etc. And some of them get away with it.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #20403
Enjiko
lonely angel

Peeve at the moment- waiting for a wig. My friend and I are really worried that our wigs won't come in time for the con next weekend. Though the delivery estimate ends the day before the day I need it, and the seller has positive reviews on shipping time, I can't help but feel nervous. u_u;

Another thing sort of related, I wish cons could have their programming schedules up a little earlier. Because sometimes cosplay plans can be affected because of it, and trying to put together something in three weeks can be stressful. But I guess it's my own fault for not making the costume as soon as I got the stuff to make it. And also a little selfish of me, as the people who set up the con are probably working as hard as they can..
Enjiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #20404
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
Actually.. not all cons are really diligent about that. I've known people who try to get out of paying for a badge because they just want to hang out in the "common" areas, such as the hotel lobby with their friends, and not go to panels, dealers room, artist alley, etc etc. And some of them get away with it.
Or they'll share badges.

Some of the people playing "spot the freak" will often go up to con-goers and outright ask for their badges. I've had that happen to me several times when someone would ask me if I was done with my badge for the day/weekend and if s/he could pretty please with sugar on top have it. Um... how about NO.

I really don't get how someone will spend so much money getting a hotel room and traveling up to a con and NOT find the money for a convention badge. Are you really just going to stand around in the hotel lobby and pose for pictures all weekend?

Peeve for today:

When co-workers find out that you sew and take commissions for side income. Then this conversation happens:

(While I'm hunched over my keyboard and have five windows open on my workstation and giving all the signs that I'm busy.)
"Hey, Tigress! Do you make custom shirts?"
"Sure, but I'm completely booked up for the next two months. Convention season is starting."
"But do you think you could make me some shirts?"
(Phone conveniently rings before I tear him a new one.)

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #20405
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Goreish cosplays in a convention. My stomach can't handle blood so when someone pours realistic blood down their entire body and walks around. I have to find the nearest bathroom. before I puke on the convention space... My most recent experience with this is with the pregnant Harley from DC. I believe she had a legit prop but from a distance it looked like a unborn baby covered in blood. . .

Also, cosplays ripping during cons... My Seymour wig ripped thus why one side flopped. completely...
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #20406
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post
Goreish cosplays in a convention. My stomach can't handle blood so when someone pours realistic blood down their entire body and walks around. I have to find the nearest bathroom. before I puke on the convention space... My most recent experience with this is with the pregnant Harley from DC. I believe she had a legit prop but from a distance it looked like a unborn baby covered in blood. . .
...You would hate to see me at a con. Half the time I'm bloody/dirty. Some of my friends have never seen me clean.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #20407
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
...You would hate to see me at a con. Half the time I'm bloody/dirty. Some of my friends have never seen me clean.
I wouldn't hate seeing people but yes I'd be ducking into the bathroom...
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #20408
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

Wonderflex not sticking to things I want it to and sticking to everything else it so much as brushes against.

Seriously. It won't stick to my armor tape base at all. Not even a little. If I cut the edges, I could peel it back off in a single piece. And it's definitely not sticking to the metal rod I was going to be using for the sword. The metal just sort of... falls out of it if there are any gaps around the edges.

But the floor pad? The scissors? My shirt? All the other bits of Wonderflex lying around? Best stick and seal ever.

Maaaaann....
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #20409
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

my sister and i are doing trinity blood cosplays, and when she bought her fabric, there was PLENTY left on the bolt. i go back a week later and there is maybe a half yard of it on the bolt.........now i had to special order it and im waiting........and waiting.......its been a week. i hope it come in within the next week
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #20410
ilafatyu
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AziaAnn View Post
-Getting felt up constantly at cons: Its always the guys who only come to cons to see the "freaks" and to write articles for blogs/newspapers/ect..
One of my friends works for the newspaper, and took the day off to go to a con... Only for one of her coworkers to be taking pictures of the event.

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #20411
AnimeLuxray25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedaname9 View Post

Also, cosplays ripping during cons... My Seymour wig ripped thus why one side flopped. completely...
I'm not afraid of blood like you are, but I kinda agree. Though I do like some gore I'm still not an enormous fan of cosplays that have fake intestines spilling from them and whatnot. Pretty disturbing, lol
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #20412
magnum-desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
Or they'll share badges.

Peeve for today:

When co-workers find out that you sew and take commissions for side income. Then this conversation happens:

(While I'm hunched over my keyboard and have five windows open on my workstation and giving all the signs that I'm busy.)
"Hey, Tigress! Do you make custom shirts?"
"Sure, but I'm completely booked up for the next two months. Convention season is starting."
"But do you think you could make me some shirts?"
(Phone conveniently rings before I tear him a new one.)
I get this:
"Hey your little cousin wants this costume for Halloween."
"...That's in two days, I can't do that."
"But she's family!"

Yes, I realize that, and I would be happy to make her a costume...if you gave me anything approaching adequate notice. My mom has also brought me her friends' and coworkers' clothes to alter without asking me if I'm willing to act as a free tailor for everyone she knows. :/
magnum-desu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #20413
xIkuna

Arda wigs is literally out of wigs, hairnets, wig heads, etc- ALL THE TIME! It's so frustrating going to their site, because everyone recommends them, but not being able to get what you need because, surprise! They're out of stock.

Cosplays:
Yennefer- The Witcher 3
Magik (Phoenix Force)- Marvel

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #20414
Trooper715
Helljumper

I am tired of cosplayers exclaiming things like "ARE YOU A BOY?" or 'YOU'RE A GUY?!"

I'm transgender. I realize my voice isn't perfect. But I never have people in the general populace react that loudly and rudely, and it's really jarring to have people behave that way at cons. There is a facet of the cosplay community that is obsessed with the idea of 'traps', and it bugs me a lot.
Unread 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM   #20415
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum-desu View Post
I get this:
"Hey your little cousin wants this costume for Halloween."
"...That's in two days, I can't do that."
"But she's family!"

Yes, I realize that, and I would be happy to make her a costume...if you gave me anything approaching adequate notice. My mom has also brought me her friends' and coworkers' clothes to alter without asking me if I'm willing to act as a free tailor for everyone she knows. :/
I get that too. One of my cousins practically idolizes me and decided she wanted to learn to sew and go to conventions because of me. So, of course, my aunt decided that I should drop everything and make a costume for my cousin.

But, come on! The child wants to learn to sew and I've pointed her to several easy projects to get started on. And I was younger than her when I learned to sew. I'll even let her raid my scrap bins and glad to be rid of some of my surplus. Why do I suddenly have to make her stuff instead of making her learn on her own?

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote