Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #21001
Tigress
Registered User
 
Tigress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZain View Post
Halfassing for the sake of wearing something. Hell, at anything for that matter. Cons are not grapevine, underground, super secretive, or the like. They are public, a simple Google click away if interested, and most Cons are year to year around the same time. That's a year of time at minimum to develop, perfect(so to speak), fabricate, and practice with your material.
The flip-side is: For all you know, that may have been their best effort with the skill-set they have at the time. Every cosplayer starts somewhere and their first costume may not be the best. When you "start doing it", do you honestly think your first effort is going to be "OMG amazing" right out the gate?
__________________
Kat's Play

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #21002
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~
 
Serenith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I die a little on the inside whenever I see someone wearing a wig incorrectly or without a wig cap. It's so obvious @_@
I die when people don't cut bangs into their wig for a character that has them. I mean, they don't need to be perfect and super accurate. But come on. Something is better than nothing SO much in this case.

__________________
Cosplay Page
•Currently uploading WIP pictures as I work on this new cosplay. ARMOR•
Serenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #21003
Amanita
Registered User
 
Amanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
The flip-side is: For all you know, that may have been their best effort with the skill-set they have at the time. Every cosplayer starts somewhere and their first costume may not be the best. When you "start doing it", do you honestly think your first effort is going to be "OMG amazing" right out the gate?
Yeah, sometimes it's hard to tell. In some cases, the difference between "just thrown together" and "newbie working with what they have" comes out when you talk to somebody.
I've chatted with newbies at cons before, you can tell that even if their skillset isn't great yet, they definitely made an effort. I respect that, and encourage them as much as possible- every cosplayer starts somewhere, after all.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #21004
TheRealZain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigress View Post
The flip-side is: For all you know, that may have been their best effort with the skill-set they have at the time. Every cosplayer starts somewhere and their first costume may not be the best. When you "start doing it", do you honestly think your first effort is going to be "OMG amazing" right out the gate?
Sigh, it's true, I can't be blind to that, but, from the outside view, mine, the spectator's, that's what it can look like. Whether that is or isn't the case is entirely different, of course! It's really just me being self conscious about general appearance and applying it to Cosplay, which I really shouldn't do.

And no, I definitely do not think that at all, and anyone who does needs a serious whuppin'. Actually, I will absolutely halt myself and not even wear the Cosplay, finished or not, if I think it is bad, regardless of the time/effort/$$$. It is to prevent this from happening that I am starting with a years time knowing full well what my goal is, doing my research, and asking my questions.

Doing something "bad" the first time can lead to being "good" over time, but I'd rather start "good", or "great", and be "amazing" over time.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #21005
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
I die a little on the inside whenever I see someone wearing a wig incorrectly or without a wig cap. It's so obvious @_@
I never wear a wig cap, but I DO understand how it's supposed to sit and seeing people who wear it down to their eyebrows drives me up a wall.
__________________
'I am a beautiful animal!

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #21006
ilafatyu
That guy
 
ilafatyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
I never wear a wig cap, but I DO understand how it's supposed to sit and seeing people who wear it down to their eyebrows drives me up a wall.
Isn't it itchy? I've tried to go without a few times, but between that and the wig sliding around, I couldn't do it.
__________________

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #21007
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,293
Not really. The only problem I ever have is it slipping back occasionally, but it's an easy fix. Well, that and the heat. Which is solved by wetting the wig. (Any costume I need a wig for generally can look better and actually MORE in-character if it's wet.)
__________________
'I am a beautiful animal!

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #21008
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 16,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
I never wear a wig cap, but I DO understand how it's supposed to sit and seeing people who wear it down to their eyebrows drives me up a wall.
I don't wear one either, and you can't tell on me. I just pin my hair up/back and use got2b to keep it that way. I always buy thick enough wigs for one's hair to never be visible through it (and my hair, unless dyed, isn't what I would call dark). People who wear a wig that clearly doesn't even fit their head (so, you can clearly see the back of their head,etc.) is what drives me nuts. Maybe you didn't have the money for a larger Arda wig if you have a bigger head,but there's other ways to enlarge a cap, or use pins and toupee clips to keep it from riding up as much.

And my head is only itchy along the forehead edge of the wig, which a cap can't fix unless I want it showing. I usually just stick a little moleskin on it or use extra moisturizer to mitigate it.
__________________
Deviantart
Storenvy
Facebook (Artist alley only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 07-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #21009
harmonyisarine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 922
I wore a wig just once without a cap (forgot it) and it wasn't itchy at all. I won't do it again, if I can help it, just because I have a lot of hair and the cap makes it so much easier to keep it out of the way. When I did cap-free, I pulled it into a high ponytail, pinned it down in a spiral and then put about as much hairspray on as I used to before a ballet performance. My hair was a solid helmet. Not much wig itch could get through it. ^_^
__________________
My deviantART
harmonyisarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #21010
AnimeLuxray25
Registered User
 
AnimeLuxray25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,211
I don't really mind if someone goes without a wig cap and it isn't really noticeable, in fact I think that's awesome, but sometimes when I see a lot of someone's real hair sticking out, it irks me a bit.
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #21011
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou
 
letsdancemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 54
Meh on the discussion of wig and wig caps I am someone who has a VERY hard time finding wigs. I have super thick and wiry hair naturally and of course its very long, my hairline comes down very low on both my forehead and my neck. Even with a wig cap and an arda wig my hairline/wig cap still shows. It's completely frustrating! I've ordered 2 wigs from epiccosplay which someone who has much more cosplay experience then I told me caters to people with low hairlines but I haven't tried them on yet. I really hope these work for me otherwise I'm doomed to only cosplay characters with long hair and bangs so my real hair won't show through.

EDIT: A good example is to look at my Chi wig. You can definitely tell where the wig cap is under the bangs but I swear up and down that is where my hairline stops. >< I really have no idea what else to do other then hope epiccosplay will be my wig saviors.

Last edited by letsdancemagic : 07-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #21012
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!
 
Yazoo_the_Kazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post
Meh on the discussion of wig and wig caps I am someone who has a VERY hard time finding wigs. I have super thick and wiry hair naturally and of course its very long, my hairline comes down very low on both my forehead and my neck. Even with a wig cap and an arda wig my hairline/wig cap still shows. It's completely frustrating! I've ordered 2 wigs from epiccosplay which someone who has much more cosplay experience then I told me caters to people with low hairlines but I haven't tried them on yet. I really hope these work for me otherwise I'm doomed to only cosplay characters with long hair and bangs so my real hair won't show through.

EDIT: A good example is to look at my Chi wig. You can definitely tell where the wig cap is under the bangs but I swear up and down that is where my hairline stops. >< I really have no idea what else to do other then hope epiccosplay will be my wig saviors.
Go down to Sally's Beauty, and buy a pack of wig clips. They're in the bulk hair/ weave section. You can sew them into the front hariline and back hairline of your wigs (they're like $3 for about 10 if I remember correctly). They're essentially little combs that snap shut, and they work wonders. My friends Lizzie and Robyn both have the same problem, and I've fit Robyn's hair into a wig as short as this using wig clips:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2438876/
(She's the blonde, in case you couldn't tell).
Her hair at the time was mid back length, incredibly thick, wiry and very, VERY poofy.
__________________
-Jen

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
-Facebook-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #21013
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast
 
dagmarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,293
This is more along the lines of a convention pet peeve...but the lame-ass, awkward questions and failed attempts at cleverness that happen in panels. Seriously, I watched a few videos of panels from Comic Con and just cringed. People like that are why geeks as a whole get a bad rap...
__________________
'I am a beautiful animal!

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #21014
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou
 
letsdancemagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo_the_Kazoo View Post
Go down to Sally's Beauty, and buy a pack of wig clips. They're in the bulk hair/ weave section. You can sew them into the front hariline and back hairline of your wigs (they're like $3 for about 10 if I remember correctly). They're essentially little combs that snap shut, and they work wonders. My friends Lizzie and Robyn both have the same problem, and I've fit Robyn's hair into a wig as short as this using wig clips:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2438876/
(She's the blonde, in case you couldn't tell).
Her hair at the time was mid back length, incredibly thick, wiry and very, VERY poofy.
Oh my goodness no one has ever told me about these! Thank you!! It sounds like she has my hair exactly x_X. By the way do these work with wig caps?
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #21015
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!
 
Yazoo_the_Kazoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post
Oh my goodness no one has ever told me about these! Thank you!! It sounds like she has my hair exactly x_X. By the way do these work with wig caps?
Yes, they do. They work best with the netted kind, but work perfectly well with both.
__________________
-Jen

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
-Facebook-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.