Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #21001
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

This is more along the lines of a convention pet peeve...but the lame-ass, awkward questions and failed attempts at cleverness that happen in panels. Seriously, I watched a few videos of panels from Comic Con and just cringed. People like that are why geeks as a whole get a bad rap...

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #21002
letsdancemagic
Lily Chou Chou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo_the_Kazoo View Post
Go down to Sally's Beauty, and buy a pack of wig clips. They're in the bulk hair/ weave section. You can sew them into the front hariline and back hairline of your wigs (they're like $3 for about 10 if I remember correctly). They're essentially little combs that snap shut, and they work wonders. My friends Lizzie and Robyn both have the same problem, and I've fit Robyn's hair into a wig as short as this using wig clips:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2438876/
(She's the blonde, in case you couldn't tell).
Her hair at the time was mid back length, incredibly thick, wiry and very, VERY poofy.
Oh my goodness no one has ever told me about these! Thank you!! It sounds like she has my hair exactly x_X. By the way do these work with wig caps?
letsdancemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #21003
Yazoo_the_Kazoo
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdancemagic View Post
Oh my goodness no one has ever told me about these! Thank you!! It sounds like she has my hair exactly x_X. By the way do these work with wig caps?
Yes, they do. They work best with the netted kind, but work perfectly well with both.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space...I'm a LOONY for God's sake!"

-tumblr-
-DeviantART-
-Facebook-
Yazoo_the_Kazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #21004
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmarus View Post
This is more along the lines of a convention pet peeve...but the lame-ass, awkward questions and failed attempts at cleverness that happen in panels. Seriously, I watched a few videos of panels from Comic Con and just cringed. People like that are why geeks as a whole get a bad rap...
Thank you for putting this into words. I love attending Q&A type panels for voice actors I like at conventions, but sometimes the fangirls/boys requesting them to say their catchphrases and all of the awkward or totally inappropriate questions make me consider just going to autograph signings unless they're a very specific person I want to see. It makes me cringe when I hear it on video, it makes me ashamed when it's from a group at a panel I'm with..it just isn't good. It's all about delivery and timing when it comes to jokes, people, and if you're unsure about it, don't do it.

Cosplay pet peeve: wig sellers having horribly improper color for wigs, such as the shadows on a character's hair being a darker color on the wig itself. Looking at you, Lucaille. I don't like this.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #21005
Naudae
Azure Angelic Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntomKitten View Post
Cosplay pet peeve: wig sellers having horribly improper color for wigs, such as the shadows on a character's hair being a darker color on the wig itself. Looking at you, Lucaille. I don't like this.
I agree.
When I bought the first Canada wig from the site I bought the outfit from, when I got it, it was by all leaps and bounds better suited for say...Italy. The wig was supposed to be blonde, and I got a rather ridiculously dark brown. At least it was useable for something else and I was able to find another wig that turned out to be ungodly perfect(damn that wig is soooo soft!), so it all panned out in the end.

Promotion of My Beloved's Cosplay Page
Pink Lily Cosplay Facebook Page

Planned Conventions and Outfits

Planning and Praying...
Naudae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #21006
TheRealZain

Quote:
Amen. I rarely panel because of the potential of a ruined experience, unless it's something I really need to bite the bullet for.
TheRealZain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #21007
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Likewise with my last peeve, people who don't know how to act around the celebrity guests. I recall a time just sitting around BSing with Aaron Douglas from BSG when another fan came up and nerded out all over the guy. The dude just wanted to hang out and have a few drinks. If you get the rare opportunity to sit down and just shoot the shit with one of the guests and actually enjoy eachother's company, don't ruin it up by fanboying/girling out.

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #21008
Unaki

Quote:
Likewise with my last peeve, people who don't know how to act around the celebrity guests. I recall a time just sitting around BSing with Aaron Douglas from BSG when another fan came up and nerded out all over the guy. The dude just wanted to hang out and have a few drinks. If you get the rare opportunity to sit down and just shoot the shit with one of the guests and actually enjoy eachother's company, don't ruin it up by fanboying/girling out.
Once played a game of Munchkin with Todd Haberkorn. Best night of my life.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #21009
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaki View Post
Once played a game of Munchkin with Todd Haberkorn. Best night of my life.
Mine will always be the night I spent hanging out with Jewel Staite, her now-ex husband and Nicki Clyne. Damn good times, damn good people.

Unread 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #21010
Shana05
Survivor

Right now is waiting for stuff to arrive. I want to start working on something so atleast I'll have something to do but I have to wait until my materials are delivered.

A-Kon: fem!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon) - Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #21011
Bm-Atticus
Cumberpunch Cosplay!

Got back from Comic Con with a peeve that I'm learning to work through.

Comic-Con and WonderCon I have found, have different views when it comes to taking pictures of cosplayers. At anime cons the majority of people know and understand that you ask before you take a picture of a cosplayer and you come back later if they're eating or on the phone.

Comic-Con... not so much. And it took a conversation with my mother who went to Comic Con for the first time for me to figure it out. She had never seen me in Cosplay at a con before, so she wanted to check it out.

My dad started snapping away at a few cosplayers and my sister practically snatched the camera out of his hands telling him to ask first. My mother asked why my sister was getting so angry about "Well, you all are dressed up, so you want your pictures taken right? So what's the problem?" I tried to explain it as best that I could, but she didn't seem to fully understand it until we were sitting down and eating and people would walk right on by and snap a picture of me. After the fifth or sixth time she was getting more annoyed then I was and I couldn't help but laugh.

Later on, I spoke to a friend of mine who has been cosplaying at Comic-Con far longer then I have and she told me that you need to go into SDCC with a different mindset then anime cons. She goes in expecting to get a photographed no matter what she's doing so she just makes sure to sit up a little straighter and offer a friendly reminder that you'll get a nicer photo if you ask. And if all else fails laugh it off and go about your day.

Future Conventions
Comikaze 2014
ALA 2015
WonderCon 2015
Fanime 2015

Future Cosplays
Richard - Looking For Group
Anders - Dragon Age 2
Nui Harime - Kill La Kill
Hiruma - Eyeshield 21

Bm-Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #21012
Tangledinblue
Witty Title...

@Bm-Atticus I know what you mean. Going to New York Comic Con I see the same thing. More people seem to photosnipe then to actually ask. It really is frustrating, and is such a peeve of mine. I made this costume, I want to look good in it, and I'm sure you don't want a picture of me not looking my best.

Possible Cosplays:
Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)
Saruhiko Fushimi (K Project)
Shadow Yukiko (Persona 4)
Suit! Sarutobi Sasuke (Sengoku Basara)

-Like me on Facebook
Tangledinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #21013
Lemon-Squeezy

Quote:
That reminds me, it's not quite the same but I hate it when people ask the same questions over and over again. I remember when I went to Otakon's closing ceremony every other question was "Why did cost go up?" Did none of you hear it being asked the first ten times? It's also a waste of time for people who actually have a question/something to address.
Yuki - AKB0048
Lemon-Squeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #21014
Tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm-Atticus View Post
My dad started snapping away at a few cosplayers and my sister practically snatched the camera out of his hands telling him to ask first. My mother asked why my sister was getting so angry about "Well, you all are dressed up, so you want your pictures taken right? So what's the problem?"
This is how I address the "ask before taking pictures" etiquette question: "You don't want a picture of a cosplayer doing this." (Pretend to pick my nose.)

Gets the message across pretty well, I think.

One pet peeve that drives me up the wall:

"OMG, con badges cost $80! What happened to the good days when it was only $30 to get in?"

Um... stuff costs money, that's why. The more people attend, the more space you need. The more expensive the insurance gets. The more security needed. The more programming needed. And not all guests will attend a con for free or a little swag.

Geez, if the price of admission is too much for you, just don't go. It's not the end of the world if you decide not to go.

One of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather. (This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.) -- Terry Pratchett
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #21015
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Right now, all the wigs for this character are horribly inaccurate colors. (It's a light blue that fades into lavender; some put green in there, some do white to dark purple, etc) and the one that is the most accurate color (white/silver into light purple) is a weird style.
Oh my god. This wig is going to be annoying as hell to find. I might just commission it from a wig seller. =^=;
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote