Anyone who has those paddles is:

a) Foolish.

b) A sucker who got ripped off.

c) Trying to hard.

d) Not getting any ass.

e) All of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
HeeroJF
Author & Cosplayer, baby

Adding to the above post:

f) has a boat to row?
HeeroJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #18
JeiC
Sanity...is not an option

Maybe "has a sinking boat to row"? Not sure how fast one would get somewhere with a paddle that size...
JeiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #19
gamergirlx
Tentacle Seller

1. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time?
Where's the boat?

2. Has your observations pushed you to buy one of your own and for what reason (display/use as a prop/just to be silly/etc.)?
Hellz no. What purpose would I have with a dinghy paddle?

3. Where you at anytime hit by one of these paddles? Was it by a friend, fellow cosplayer, or random passerby? How did you feel about this?
No, and don't ever plan on being. Not even when asked. May the lord have mercy on anyone who does hit me without asking.

4. Considering the many different reactions to the popularity of these wooden paddles, what would you suggest conventions do to help keep attendee's safe from being hit unwelcomly by a paddle, but without disrupting responsible attendees ability to use it as a prop?
Ban 'em all. It's not a prop and is not bought as one. The entire purpose is to hit/spank people. The only time someone should be carrying a paddle around as a prop is if the character they are cosplaying actually has a paddle. Of which, I don't think I've ever seen one. And the majority of kids I see, who have paddles, are NOT cosplaying, and are too immature to be carrying them around responsibly.

Perhaps, this can be remedied by only allowing those 18 and older to wield the paddles. Though, being 18 is not a guaranteed sign of maturity, unfortunately. Technically paddles are "associated" with adult subject matter. Maybe requiring those who wish to carry them to check in and have some kind of age identifier may limit the immature ones from carrying them around. Maybe like the bracelets some conventions use to designate those 18+ who are allowed to enter the adult panels. And if someone under 18 is found to carry one around, either remove them from the con or confiscate the paddle.

5. In the case of wooden paddles are banned entirely, (please keep in mind it could also lead to an across the board ban on all wooden props), how would you feel about this?
I think there is a distinct difference between cosplay props and the paddles. One is made to be a weapon, the other is made to displayed with cosplay. I certainly know that I would never go beating someone with one of my props for fear that it would break and I'd have to make another one. Besides, to say there would be a ban on on wooden props would be like saying you can't have any props at all considering that most props are made of wood, or even of things that are denser and heavier than wood. It's about who's wielding it.
gamergirlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
Moonlit_Rose
Indeed

1. What was your first impression when seeing these wooden paddles for the first time?
"What the hell?" I rolled my eyes and groaned. thought it was slightly disturbing. It was the people who carried them around.. They just made me nervous. But I didn't think anyone would hit another person without permission so.. as long as they didn't touch me or my friends or small children, it's their game, their risks.

2. Has your observations pushed you to buy one of your own and for what reason (display/use as a prop/just to be silly/etc.)?
Dear god no. I agree with the post at the top of page two. They kind of just make you look really creepy. Waste of money, waste of space. And I'm not into that scene anyway.

3. Where you at anytime hit by one of these paddles? Was it by a friend, fellow cosplayer, or random passerby? How did you feel about this?
I was nearly hit, a complete stranger. i stopped them before they did. I was insulted and really weirded out. I had another person ask me, I told them no. My friend however was hit. He was asked to turn around (He was in costume) and suddenly got smacked across the bottom. You heard it impact. He yelled. Enough said.

4. Considering the many different reactions to the popularity of these wooden paddles, what would you suggest conventions do to help keep attendee's safe from being hit unwelcomly by a paddle, but without disrupting responsible attendees ability to use it as a prop?
Get -rid- of them. Please. They make me incredibly nervous. Too many people are thinking that the paddle give you permission to act rude and crude. They're adult material really and shouldn't be around the con. If it's part of a costume (legitimently apart of the costume) that's okay, as long as it doesn't hit anyone. Too many people are using them in improper ways. All for fun, but some of the 'fun' is so twisted and really should be kept in a room. Keep it on the current metal weapons policy. And if not those ideas, go with the strike one. Of course, people may just fix that tape idea to their own whims. :/

5. In the case of wooden paddles are banned entirely, (please keep in mind it could also lead to an across the board ban on all wooden props), how would you feel about this?
Happy, relaxed and pleased. People will get over it. But don't ban wooden props; they're not the same. And it's not like the paddles aren't easy to spot anyway. Don't punish all prop makers for other idiots mistakes.

[by idiot, I am refering to the people who love running over and hitting without permission, only those. The random strangers. Not people who buy them and put them away.]
Moonlit_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
jubeichan

Funny and a nice prop for crack pictures.

No way, I think they'd be a waste of money because I'm not into that sort've item. (As collecting or a prop)

No. I stay FAAAAR away from them. But I do see people getting hit, I'd probably be really pissed if someone did hit me and take it to con security. They're PADDLES. You can really injure someone, don't you get it?

You're allowed swords (depending on the convention) as long as you don't hit someone with them or use them in anyway other than to aide with the presentation of your costume. I think the same rules should apply the paddles. Especially having them peace-bound! Pictures, sure, but don't swing them around or HIT anyone with them!

No completely ban, just limitation and confiscation of the item if someone uses it wrongly. I would feel odd becuase I used wooden props, they just stay by my side and not used on someone's ass.
*Gakuen Hetalia: Seychelles
*Homestuck: John

Otakon '11
*Assassin's Creed II: Leonardo da Vinci
*Assassin's Creed: Malik A-Sayf

NYAF/NYCC
*Assassin's Creed: Malik A-Sayf
jubeichan is offline   Reply With Quote