Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Surebu

Making spear prop

I have never made a prop for cosplaying before and wanted to make kyoko sakura's spear i've looked up some tutorials so far, but i have no idea where you can either get a long wooden stick or something for the base so i can put the spear point once constructed on top? I'm not sure what type of material i should use toconstruct the spear head as well.
Surebu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
ladysphinx07
Cats Don't Like Me Much

I'm actually currently making her spear and I bought a PVC pipe from the hardware store to be the staff part. It's pretty cheap, light and you can give it a lil' sanding and then spray paint it. Plus, it comes in super long increments, so you can basically cut it down to your perfect size!

I'm making the spearhead out of a couple of things. I'm using pink insulation foam, foamcore (posterboard with the foam sandwiched in between) and some plastic plates for the mini diamond (similar technique to my Skyward Sword Zelda diamond. I made a digital sketch of what I wanted, printed it out to size and then cut out all my pieces. The hardest part so far was getting the edges sharp instead of rounded. If you'd like me to explain it in more detail, I'd be happy to, but I don't want to seem overwhelming! >__<

If you're not comfortable with pink insulation foam, you could probably make the same thing with just using really stiff posterboard and then gluing the edges together on slants. Or starting with a styrofoam base carved to the shape you want and then covering it with paperclay or paper mache.

Let me know if you'd like me to expand or anything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KyokoSpearhead.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
ladysphinx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Surebu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysphinx07 View Post
I'm actually currently making her spear and I bought a PVC pipe from the hardware store to be the staff part. It's pretty cheap, light and you can give it a lil' sanding and then spray paint it. Plus, it comes in super long increments, so you can basically cut it down to your perfect size!

I'm making the spearhead out of a couple of things. I'm using pink insulation foam, foamcore (posterboard with the foam sandwiched in between) and some plastic plates for the mini diamond (similar technique to my Skyward Sword Zelda diamond. I made a digital sketch of what I wanted, printed it out to size and then cut out all my pieces. The hardest part so far was getting the edges sharp instead of rounded. If you'd like me to explain it in more detail, I'd be happy to, but I don't want to seem overwhelming! >__<

If you're not comfortable with pink insulation foam, you could probably make the same thing with just using really stiff posterboard and then gluing the edges together on slants. Or starting with a styrofoam base carved to the shape you want and then covering it with paperclay or paper mache.

Let me know if you'd like me to expand or anything!
Hi! sorry for the really late reply i've been too busy to go on cosplay forum recently. I'm kinda confused on how to use pink insulation foam lol, this is coming from a beginner who has never made a weapon prop before :<. Would it be easiest to draw and cut out the spear shapes glue it together somehow and for the slants? I'm not rly sure what kind of material would be suitable for it, would any stiff foam work? How would u go on about coloring that foam tho? x_x; Thanks.
Surebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Actually, you can do this out of free cardboard. I can write you a tutorial on mine. It's not finished, but the basic structure if all done, all I have to do is paper machete, sand, seal and paint. Which is the easy part. It actually is turning out extremely awesome
-Either Hikari (Pokemon Platinum) or Roxanne (Pokemon Omega Ruby)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Millions_Knives

i have a few vids that could help
like a lance
and glave
foam sward for working with foam
they are not exactly what your doing
but it should point ya in the right direction
GL
good times to all
it is the largest collection of cosplay tutorials and cosplay fun on youtube.
Millions_Knives is offline   Reply With Quote