Go Back   Cosplay.com > Canada Convention Forums > Atomic Lollipop

Unread 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #1
baogames

Need help with makeup as Sebastian

Hey, I'm planning on cosplaying Sebastian from Black Butler, but I want to make my face just a tad paler. Maybe a little outline on the eyes.

But I've never used makeup before, never touched the stuff, so if anyone going to A-POP that knows what they're doing, I'd be really grateful for some help!
baogames is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
AdventurerEmily
Zombie Extraordinaire

I'm not going to that convention, but here is a makeup tutorial for the eye makeup for that character. The person's hands are kind of shaky, but with practice you can get a nice even line. They use liquid eyeliner, but the same look can be achieved with gel liner+angle brush, which is easier for some people than the liquid. Maybelline, Revlon, and NYX sell affordable and quality liquid and gel liners in most drugstores. For high end brands, MAC and Makeup Forever are very popular and extremely pigmented and smooth.

As for face makeup, here is a tutorial about the basics of foundation and concealer. Wayne Goss is a very popular and knowledgeable makeup artist who explains things pretty well. Instead of using a foundation that matches your skin, you would choose one a few (or several) shades lighter to make yourself more pale. L'Oreal True Match and Maybelline Fit Me are both drugstore foundations with lots of shades, including pale colors. Additionally, you can purchase a white foundation from Barry M or Illamasqua to make any foundation lighter. For high end foundations there are several options that have shades for fair skin, including MAC, Makeup Forever, NARS, and Estee Lauder.

Another option is to use a water activated face/body paint such as Kryolan Aquacolors or Mehron Paradise Paint to lighten your skin. Here's a tutorial about applying the Kryolan Aquacolor (though the principle is the same for most water-activated theatrical makeup). Her's is green for her character, but Kryolan Aquacolor in "TV White" should work for your costume. I suggest using a barrier spray (Mehron makes an excellent one) then applying the makeup, setting with translucent powder, and spraying again afterward.

If you need to conceal your eyebrows to draw in the character's, you can use the glue stick method. This article on Beautylish explains how to use the glue stick to make your eyebrows disappear.

For any makeup, you're going to want to invest in a translucent powder and a fixative spray. Cornstarch can substitute as a powder in a pinch, though it can look too powdery in HD photos. Pretty much every brand makes a decent powder, so it is your choice about price point. A good fixative, such as Mehron Barrier Spray or Ben Nye Final Seal, will create a barrier between your skin and the makeup (protecting your skin and preventing oils from causing the makeup to oxidize or slip) as well as seal the makeup when you are finished to prevent smudging, transfer, or fading.

Hope this helps!