Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
coffeeisyum

Fionna Hat help

Hello, I am struggling with a Fionna hat I want to sew. I've done a lot of research and I can't get that specific look that I'm looking for. I want the hat to not be floppy or pointed at the top. I want it to look stiff similar to this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87151457...adventure-time

and this:

http://myobixhitachiin.deviantart.co...play-381898888

My first thought is, okay, I can sew two pieces together and stuff it with pollyfil stuffing and that will give it the "stiff" look that I am going for. I have yet to try this out yet because I can't get the pattern down.

This seems to be the most popular type of pattern. In fact, it's the only type of pattern I can find (the two side flaps and a circle in the middle): http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20... y-d5w5fco.jpg

But every time I try this pattern, even after tweaking it to "fit" my head better, it still doesn't have that round shape i want and instead looks like some bonnet I'm strapping to my head. Is there "curve" to this pattern that would make it make it look better? Or are there any tips to get the look I'm going for?

Does this make sense? I'm new to sewing and I'm going to my first convention, so I'm new to all this. Thanks for any tips or help.
coffeeisyum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-07-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Can you please post a photo of your attempt at this hat? It's really difficult to tell you how to fix it without seeing what you've done.

I also am having trouble understanding what you mean when you say "I want it to look stiff". Are you referring to how the ears are supposed to stand up? Are you referring to the plushie look some of those pre-made hats have in the part that straps around the head? What fabric are you trying to make it out of? And did you reinforce it in any way?

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
lemuries

It looks like the etsy hat and the deciant art hats both have a front c-shape piece and a back crescent shape, but the tutorial is more like a pill box shape. That means the ones you want have a seam that goes over your head from ear to ear, but the tutorial has a seam in a circle at the top of your head.

Myobi doesn't show a huge chin strap, and the etsy one has a big one and the tutorial shows a monstrous one.

A pillbox shape would only fit the head tightly if the crown circle is smaller than your head circumference (which is shaped like an oval, not a circle). Then the fleece has to stretch to fit you tightly (which will put some pressure on your head during wearing, fyi).
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
coffeeisyum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Can you please post a photo of your attempt at this hat? It's really difficult to tell you how to fix it without seeing what you've done.

I also am having trouble understanding what you mean when you say "I want it to look stiff". Are you referring to how the ears are supposed to stand up? Are you referring to the plushie look some of those pre-made hats have in the part that straps around the head? What fabric are you trying to make it out of? And did you reinforce it in any way?
Thanks for your response. I am using fleece, and I do plan on stuffing the hat with poly-fill as soon as I get the pattern shape down right. I'm slightly new to sewing and totally new to cosplaying, so hopefully I can make this clearer. When I say "stiff" I don't mean the bunny ears, as I plan on doing that with floral wire when I get to that part. I mean that plushie look that the hat has on some of the cosplayers. It doesn't look baggy and it doesn't have any creases in the fabric. Like, no folds, no "hangs" in the fabric or anything.

This (stiff, and the fabric pieces seem to be seamlessly together to form that "round" shape) http://nerdcaliber.com/wp-content/up...er-602x321.gif
and another http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...an-d57pmni.jpg
versus
this (limp and baggy especially at the top)
http://coselite.com/wp-content/uploa...zz-d50x8s4.jpg

Okay, this is my first attempt and this is pretty much the only Finn/Fionna hat shaped pattern I can find on the web. I plan on doing the double-sided and filing with polyfill cotton, but for now I'm just trying to get the pattern right.

http://i.imgur.com/gxC0F2U.jpg

I decided I really hate this pattern because it makes you look like you have a mushroom top where the "circle" piece is at the back. After this failure and not able to find a pattern online, I decided to basically just hold up fabric to my head and try and get the "shape" around my head I wanted.

On head: http://i.imgur.com/uG7Jnyj.jpg
shape of the piece: http://i.imgur.com/UnHsAwm.jpg

But now, I don't know how to do the back piece (I imagine it needs to be a circle). Does this first piece even look like I'm going in the right direction by "forming fabric" around my head then cutting? Is this how people make patterns or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm not really sure what to do about the back of the head. I am using fleece, so I don't think it's a good idea to "stretch" any of the fabric at the back of the head to make it form around the head better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
It looks like the etsy hat and the deciant art hats both have a front c-shape piece and a back crescent shape, but the tutorial is more like a pill box shape. That means the ones you want have a seam that goes over your head from ear to ear, but the tutorial has a seam in a circle at the top of your head.

Myobi doesn't show a huge chin strap, and the etsy one has a big one and the tutorial shows a monstrous one.

A pillbox shape would only fit the head tightly if the crown circle is smaller than your head circumference (which is shaped like an oval, not a circle). Then the fleece has to stretch to fit you tightly (which will put some pressure on your head during wearing, fyi).
Thanks for your response. I didn't even notice that, but you're right, the chin straps are smaller and this will probably help with that rounded shape when strapping it. When you say the ones I want have a seam that goes over your head from ear to ear, do you mean that I will basically have a "front" piece that you will see from the front, then a "back" piece you see from the back and they go together OVER the top of my head from ear-to-ear? Okay, so it appears I need to stay away from "circle" pieces for fabric. Time to go back and cut more fabric and see if I can figure this out.
coffeeisyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Okay, NOW I get what you mean. You want the hat to look really smooth and plush so that there are no ripples in the fabric. ("Stiffening" implies a different kind of technique, like using interfacing or starch to make fabric stiff and less flexible. You don't want a stiff hat; you want it to be soft and flexible.)

So, first, what you want to do is make it fitted against your head. This is referred to as the process of tailoring: making a garment fit against your body in a way that eliminates wrinkles and ripples. This means making the pattern follow the contours of your body.

The approach you're taking of making patterns by just holding fabric up against your head is not wrong. It's actually a form of pattern-making and manipulation that's referred to as draping. (The other main type is flat-pattern manipulation, where you're working with pieces of paper on a table.) For some people, it's MUCH more intuitive.

So, with regards to the prototype hat in your picture:
The problem is that it's not following the shape of your head at all. As already mentioned, the crown is a circle, but the cross-section of a head is an oval, not a circle. But more than that, the part that goes around your head is also a circle, AND it extends up too high. This means you have all that empty space in a "corner" region, with nothing to stuff it or stiffen it, so it's just kinda caving in.

You can solve this by pinching out the excess and turning it into darts. Darting is a really big part of fitting, so researching the concept will really help you out.

You WILL need to have darts or seams going over the top of your head to help the hat follow the shape of your head. And not only that, but you'll need a seam across the top, running from right to left, so you have somewhere to insert the ears of the hat when you get to putting them in. To get an idea for how curved seams in a hat can work, you can look up patterns for a yarmulke (Jewish skullcap). Those will have at least one seam down the center, sometimes more.

On an aside, I would not recommend stuffing the hat with Poly-Fil. This will come out lumpy. A better approach would be to use quilt batting. It's a filler that comes in sheets instead of clumps. If you've ever seen a quilt or bed comforter, that's how they have that uniform plush look. Quilt batting comes in both synthetic and natural content (cotton batting is usually under the brand name "Warm n' White" or "Warm n' Natural") as well as varying thicknesses.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
joshiemae
Amazonian Princess

Actually, I own the first hat. If you'd like I could take a few pictures of it, and maybe you could get some clues from it that way. As well, the first hat's ears aren't filled, they're flat. They're actually structured with wire so they stay up straight, but aren't heavy at all.

"The makeup is simply an extension of the personality and colors, clothing, makeup all express something." -Gene Simmons

2014 Costumes:
Stocking Anarchy (Transformation/Sailor Lolita)
Gijinka Schoolgirl Puppycat
Yang Xiao Long
Rei Ryugazaki
Cons planned:
ROFcon - AMA - Otakon - Nekocon
joshiemae is offline   Reply With Quote