Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #19306
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysuki1289 View Post
Cosplay Pet Peeve of the Day!

I noticed this not only among cosplayers, but anime lovers in general that take a dive into Japanese.....Using honorifics on yourself! UGHHHHH, THAT ANNOYS THE HECK OUT OF ME, RAWR~!

Anyone who has taken a snippet of Japanese knows that it is absolutely shameful (and looked down on and haughty and cocky, etc) to use an honorific on yourself. You DO NOT refer to yourself as "-chan", "-san", "-kun" none of that! It annoys me to no end! If you're going to use a language LOOK THE CRAP UP before you open your mouth!! It'd be like introducing yourself in French: "Bonjour! Je m'appelle Mademoiselle Suki!" You just don't do that! ...Well unless your married but that's pretty rare since we Americans like to use our first names anyway!

Honorifics are meant to be used by OTHER people, not you! UGH!

/end rant
This. This so much. I'm also gonna be THAT person who points out that randomly dropping japanese words in your everyday speech is not cute. =3= Hearing stuff like "OMG, that dress is super kawaii!" irritates me. XD Can you say "weeaboo"? The worst part is that I was TOTALLY guilty of this from ages 10-12. Blegh.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #19307
xIkuna

Quote:
Cosplay Pet Peeve of the Day!

I noticed this not only among cosplayers, but anime lovers in general that take a dive into Japanese.....Using honorifics on yourself! UGHHHHH, THAT ANNOYS THE HECK OUT OF ME, RAWR~!

Anyone who has taken a snippet of Japanese knows that it is absolutely shameful (and looked down on and haughty and cocky, etc) to use an honorific on yourself. You DO NOT refer to yourself as "-chan", "-san", "-kun" none of that! It annoys me to no end! If you're going to use a language LOOK THE CRAP UP before you open your mouth!! It'd be like introducing yourself in French: "Bonjour! Je m'appelle Mademoiselle Suki!" You just don't do that! ...Well unless your married but that's pretty rare since we Americans like to use our first names anyway!

Honorifics are meant to be used by OTHER people, not you! UGH!

/end rant
Lol whoops.

I do know what you mean though *has taken Japanese for five years*, it only really bothers me if it's on person. Weeaboos, man, sometimes it drives me insane with how bad some people use Japanese.

Cosplays:
Yennefer- The Witcher 3
Magik (Phoenix Force)- Marvel

xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #19308
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirayuki~Chan View Post
Lol whoops.

I do know what you mean though *has taken Japanese for five years*, it only really bothers me if it's on person. Weeaboos, man, sometimes it drives me insane with how bad some people use Japanese.
No worries. :P It's different when it's a username or something (at least it is imo), it's when people do it in real life, or normally type their name as "[Name]-chan/san/kun/whateverthefacktheyuse" that it gets really annoying. >.>

I actually never typed out my name as "Jackie-chan" .... for obvious reasons. ._.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #19309
ladysuki1289

I don't mind the little snippets here and there cause I do that with both Japanese and French, at random times. If my boyfriend is fussing about something, he's bound to get "shut up" in one of three languages; its a catch 22 really. For me, its the people that mimic anime to the point of talking in a high pitched voice and saying desu at the end OF AN ENGLISH sentence and have no clue what they're saying or doing. Most of them don't even know the proper pronouciation of "desu"; they have no idea what it means....just RAWR!

I understand that in order to remember the vocabulary and grammar of a forgein language that it's always recommended that you use the language on a day-to-day basis. But it kills me when people use stuff soooo incorrectly and then get mad at you for pointing it out. I paid $600 a class for two courses of Japanese and I studied nearly 3 to 4 hours A DAY for each class and that was only Intro to Japanese. People like that make a mockery of all the hard work and effort I put in.

LOL and no Shirayuki-chan, I wasn't talking about you! I didn't even notice you had that until just now, ^__^
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #19310
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
I don't mind the little snippets here and there cause I do that with both Japanese and French, at random times. If my boyfriend is fussing about something, he's bound to get "shut up" in one of three languages; its a catch 22 really. For me, its the people that mimic anime to the point of talking in a high pitched voice and saying desu at the end OF AN ENGLISH sentence and have no clue what they're saying or doing. Most of them don't even know the proper pronouciation of "desu"; they have no idea what it means....just RAWR!

I understand that in order to remember the vocabulary and grammar of a forgein language that it's always recommended that you use the language on a day-to-day basis. But it kills me when people use stuff soooo incorrectly and then get mad at you for pointing it out. I paid $600 a class for two courses of Japanese and I studied nearly 3 to 4 hours A DAY for each class and that was only Intro to Japanese. People like that make a mockery of all the hard work and effort I put in.

LOL and no Shirayuki-chan, I wasn't talking about you! I didn't even notice you had that until just now, ^__^
That bolded sentence. That so hard. To me, I don't even see it as them TRYING to be cute/cool/anime-like. I see it as them mocking the language, no matter what their intention. When they put in no effort to learn the language, the pronunciations, and just toss random words they heard in an anime to their daily vocabulary, it really irritates me. It's not really something I'd stop someone over and be like "You. Stop that." because it'd be a stupid thing to pick a fight over, but when I heard people do that my faith in humanity decreases just a little more.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #19311
ladysuki1289

Hahaha, yes, we completely agree. I had a girl in anime club do that on her first day and it was an entire room of eyerolls at once. Hilarity.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with picking up a language informally (i.e. no teacher), but at least know what you're saying or doing. What if "desu" meant "feces"? LOL. People are just running around using words they don't even know!

Another real life irrtation of mine, is when people get tats of Chinese symbols/Kanji and don't look those up. This girl I worked with got a symbol that was supposed to mean "wisdom" and when I looked at the Kanji in my book, she had the symbol for "house" permanately etched into her neck. Maybe they're close, but that was the Kanji we had learned in class for house. WTF? Not looking stuff up, >_<
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #19312
arkham71
Arkham Productions LLC

What annoys me is when people say they know Japanese and you say a simple greeting, they give you a blank stare and you say “Wakarimas?” and they give you an even more blank stare…. *facepalm*
Arkham Productions, LLC

A necromancer, a minister, a miko, a wiccan, a werewolf, and two vampires walk into a bar….
arkham71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #19313
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkham71 View Post
What annoys me is when people say they know Japanese and you say a simple greeting, they give you a blank stare and you say “Wakarimas?” and they give you an even more blank stare…. *facepalm*
I know, right? I don't know a lot of japanese (I have a bunch of discs and stuff to help me learn, but I haven't the time to use them...), but I at least know a few phrases, so when people say they know Japanese I'll usually give them a casual "O-genki desu ka?" and 8/10 times they'll look at me like ".....what?"

One time, I did this and someone was like "I speak Japanese, not Chinese." "...that was Japanese." "No it wasn't, it didn't sound Japanese!" "..I think I would know what I said. =_="

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 08-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #19314
arkham71
Arkham Productions LLC

Quote:
Umm that should actually be wakarimas ka? LOL

Hai genki desu!

Gomen....
Arkham Productions, LLC

A necromancer, a minister, a miko, a wiccan, a werewolf, and two vampires walk into a bar….
arkham71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #19315
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Umm that should actually be wakarimas ka? LOL

Hai genki desu!

Gomen....
I would say "You are forgiven" in japanese, but I don't know how, so English will have to suffice. XD Surprisingly, I actually understood all of what you said. :3 My Japanese is very limited, though. ^^;

Cosplay Pet Peeve of the Day: People who bitch about steampunk people, star wars cosplays, and stuff like that at a convention, but then two seconds later they're like "OMG I LOVE THAT CINDERELLA COSPLAYER!"

Or just people who bitch about non-anime cosplays in general at conventions.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #19316
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Otaku View Post
I know, right? I don't know a lot of japanese (I have a bunch of discs and stuff to help me learn, but I haven't the time to use them...), but I at least know a few phrases, so when people say they know Japanese I'll usually give them a casual "O-genki desu ka?" and 8/10 times they'll look at me like ".....what?"

One time, I did this and someone was like "I speak Japanese, not Chinese." "...that was Japanese." "No it wasn't, it didn't sound Japanese!" "..I think I would know what I said. =_="
LOL oh that's funny.

Also on the kanji tattoos, I agree! I can't read, but my mom has spotted people wearing backwards kanji, things that don't make sense, and nonsense kanji. You need to really know what it says if you're getting a tattoo in another language. If I wanted a kanji tattoo, I'd ask my mom to write it. If I wanted something in Russian, I'd get my Russian friend who is literate in the language to write it. I wouldn't just Google translate or walk into some place and pick some flash off the wall.

PS. Flash in general annoys the crap out of me.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #19317
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
LOL oh that's funny.

Also on the kanji tattoos, I agree! I can't read, but my mom has spotted people wearing backwards kanji, things that don't make sense, and nonsense kanji. You need to really know what it says if you're getting a tattoo in another language. If I wanted a kanji tattoo, I'd ask my mom to write it. If I wanted something in Russian, I'd get my Russian friend who is literate in the language to write it. I wouldn't just Google translate or walk into some place and pick some flash off the wall.

PS. Flash in general annoys the crap out of me.
Quite honestly, I don't understand why people get tattoos in languages they know NOTHING about. It makes very little sense to me. If I were to ever get a tattoo (which is highly unlikely, but still) I would want it to be something meaningful, not some phrase that I can't even legitimately read. But that's not a cosplay peeve so I'm kind of off topic now.

+In-Progress+

+2013 Plans+
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

Unread 08-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #19318
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

This pet peeve is a self induced mental roadblock. I am MORTIFIED of wasting money.

To clarify, while I doubt I'll ever learn how to sew.. there are other aspects that I'm getting more interested in, such as making props and styling wigs.

But practice makes perfect right? If I mess up.. I get disgusted with myself, why? Because I tell myself that I just wasted money. It doesn't matter if it's junk from the dollar store. No matter how hard I try, I can't think of it as an "investment" or "practice" only "Oh hey, you spent a $6.00 on a sheet of craft foam, $3.00 on a pack of brushes, and $4.00 in total in paint. Oh what? You messed up? Idiot. Now you have to go buy another sheet of craft foam! Oh out of yellow paint? go down to the store and spend another bottle! Oh messed up again?? Back to the store!" Same thing with wigs.. even like cheap party wigs o3o;; Terrified to cut into them.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #19319
Black.Cat-Chan

Pet Peeve of The Day:

Bentwood Boxes -.-

It turns out I have (i.e. my family has) a very nice antique portable Singer that is most likely in working condition. Only I can't tell since its locked up nice and tightly in a bentwood box with no key. If anyone knows how hard it is to open one of these boxes they can understand my frustration at this point.
Dragon*Con 2013

*Cosplays*
Cheshire Cat Gijinka (Classic Disney=100% Tim Burton v2=100% v3=planning)
Drifloon Gijinka=10%/Planning
Red Panda/Pabu Gijinka= (V1=100% V2=planning)
Hero of Brightwall = [on hold for Momocon]
Steampunk Kitties = Only an Idea/planning
Black.Cat-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #19320
CozmicRio
☆ Kinezono ☆

I love reading all the posts on here because they are so true.

I have been cosplaying since I was 14 & Im now 24. I have noticed how immature the crowd has become over the years & it keeps me from being social at conventions some times. I don't run around screaming & Im not fond of loud people anyways. I recently went to a small convention that was a terrible experience & I questioned if I ever wanted to go to another convention or if I have just gotten to old for this crowd :/ I got over that feeling because I love cosplaying despite the 1 bad experience.

I am one of those cosplayers that needs to be as accurate as possible & thats incredibly difficult for me because I am easily discouraged when something isnt working out right plus I always think its way easier then it is so I pick the hardest projects in the world.

I think my biggest pet peeve of recent years is the high school/middle school kids who finally got a free weekend without adult supervision to act like they have no common sense. I don't think every middle/high schooler is that way but some people mature better then others.
CozmicRio is offline   Reply With Quote