Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #11776
Kerodohi
No longer active

Irons that piddle yucky iron water all over the most visible part of your costume and leave barely-obvious-but-definitely-noticeable stains.
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #11777
Teh Pocky Ninja
Mythological Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
Irons that piddle yucky iron water all over the most visible part of your costume and leave barely-obvious-but-definitely-noticeable stains.
Time to buy a new iron, methinks.
Teh Pocky Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #11778
makotohanabi
Chuu?

current peeve is waiting for a delivery. According to FedEx my beads have been on a truck for delivery since 7am. I understand that after a holiday weekend deliveries back up and all, but I want my package. >_<
Unread 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #11779
deanna.retha
. D E E .

My pet peeves have probably all been stated, but heck, I'm going to state them anyway. And I'm too lazy to check all 795 pages.

People who believe only Asians are good cosplayers. That should in no way be taken as racism towards individuals of an Asian decent because it's not. There are good and bad cosplayers regardless of race. Simply because animanga came from Japan, does not mean that only Japanese or Chinese cosplayers are good. I've seen some amazing Asian cosplayers, but I've also seen amazing German and American and Canadian cosplayers. I've also seen bad Asian cosplays and bad Western cosplayers. A good cosplay (in my opinion) is influenced by the degree of work. It's true that Asians have softer features but if you put effort into the costume, take time for your makeup, style your hair/buy a proper wig, get the right props and act accordingly, it's a good cosplay.

People who cosplay for the wrong reasons. Cosplay should be about having fun. It should be a chance for people to dress up and become a character they love and admire (like acting in a play or movie). And yet, so many times I've come across people who cosplay because they like the attention or they cosplay a character simply because someone else has told them to.

Cosplayers who don't know who they are cosplaying. I don't mean, "I'm not sure who to cosplay this year," cosplayers. I mean, "Sakura who?" cosplayers. People who cosplay a character without having ever watched the anime/read the manga/played the game. How, my question is, can they do a character justice (regardless of how good a cosplayer they may be) when they don't even know them?
deanna.retha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #11780
xxblackrainbow

my biggest pet peeve is when people have cosplays that could be a few different people. mostly this happens when their either not wearing a proper costume or when they have the wrong hair with a costume that could be a few different characters due to it lacking details. usually its obvious to tell when its like this cause they have outragously coloured and styled hair or just outragously coloured hair and a costume like a suit.
xxblackrainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #11781
thoshy
Soul Eater Addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblackrainbow View Post
my biggest pet peeve is when people have cosplays that could be a few different people. mostly this happens when their either not wearing a proper costume or when they have the wrong hair with a costume that could be a few different characters due to it lacking details. usually its obvious to tell when its like this cause they have outragously coloured and styled hair or just outragously coloured hair and a costume like a suit.

I see this ALOT at the cons I go to. Me and my friends call it the "Random Akatsuki syndrome." (Since that's what I tend to see the most.)

Like my first con. I saw So many Akatsuki cloaks, it was amazing...but they where just at; Akatsuki Cloaks. No detail, no wig, no markings. I even made a girl mad since I couldn't tell she was Sasori. (Since he has long brown hair, a 'Deathnote' shirt, and some jeans.How could I not tell? Shame on me.)

Peeve: People who are a bag of crabs. (Especially when you say you like who they are Cosplaying.)

This peeve erks me so much. I've had it happen to me personaly. I met a Cosplayer who was Cosplaying one of my favorite characters. Well, I walk over to her, and very politely tell her that her costume looks great, and shes Cosplaying a character I like. Well, I get a big "Piss off" and she shoves pass me like I'm not even there. Now, I brushed it off; I know how rude people can be. But it ticks me off when people can be so down right rude to your face.

UnderTaker [Kuroshitsuji]
Kabuchimaru (Naruto)
thoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #11782
13Kai-Kai
HisokaKurosaki3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinette View Post
I feel it's extremely racist that nobody bats an eye at Asian people cosplaying white characters, or white people cosplaying Japanese characters, but many still act like skin tone is a big issue. Okay, so you're probably going to manage to look more similar to a certain character if you are the same gender/ethnicity/height/build, but some of us prefer to cosplay characters we love instead of characters we resemble.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingdreamr View Post
My pet peeve are those people who take ninja shots of you in cosplay. I think that most people here can agree that realizing that someone is secretly taking a picture of you is kinda creepy and a bit unsettling. I'll pose and give you a much better shot if you just came up and asked!
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblackrainbow View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoshy View Post

Peeve: People who are a bag of crabs. (Especially when you say you like who they are Cosplaying.)

This peeve erks me so much. I've had it happen to me personaly. I met a Cosplayer who was Cosplaying one of my favorite characters. Well, I walk over to her, and very politely tell her that her costume looks great, and shes Cosplaying a character I like. Well, I get a big "Piss off" and she shoves pass me like I'm not even there. Now, I brushed it off; I know how rude people can be. But it ticks me off when people can be so down right rude to your face.
And This
Princess Saturn (Sailor Moon)
Jigglypuff Gijinka

AnimeNEXT 2019
Alolan Raichu Gijinka
Gou (Free!)
Fem! Maui (Moana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyokun View Post
Plan for the worst, hope for the best, be happy that nothing blew up.
13Kai-Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #11783
KachieChan
俺 ヒー

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm very competitive. Not in a snide or rude way. I just try to make my costume the very best, better than anyone elses (to the best of my ability, anyways). It's friendly competition, of course, since I made a note to make friends with the people I admire and ask them how THEY did the details and definitely learn from them .

I got kind an Ash Catch'em mindset - Wanna be the best, but I want to make friends with everyone. I don't EVER credit my entire costume to myself (even if I did make everything) because I know others have helped me and I make sure anyone who askes knows that.

So I'm humble yet ambitious, eh? -^^-

My pet peeve is people who are downright snobby in behavior. They will make snide comments about perhaps poorly crafted or last-minute costumes and will generally act like they are better than everyone else. These the same people who scoff at premade costumes or accessories, assuming they are superior to the community because they crafted their own themselves.

Honestly, we have probably ALL be in a time crunch situation where we needed an outfit by X time and simply did not have enough time or money to distribute into making it. It's not fair to judge people on this.

Sure, we ALL have made jugdements on bad cosplay, but to downright LOOK DOWN on a person because of what costume they're wearing? Please people. Show some respect to your fellow cosplayer.

Now that brings me to my next pet peeve... people who don't try... AT ALL.

These people will take a lazy approach and either do an 'original character' (that basically dresses normally, no wig no nothing) or put on a hat and claim their a pikachu/moogle. These are also the people who 'dress goth' (NOT lolita) or CLAIM they're dressing lolita but like... only painted their nails black, are wearing purple lipstick and have a fluffy tutu skirt. That's not lolita. It's just ugh.. hun, you can dress up for the con but don't say you're cosplaying/dressing lolita when you're obviously not.

I also dislike people who cosplay 'Casual' characters seriously. Like.. 'Street Style Axel', which would be just some baggy jeans and a top of hot topic, plus like a chain wallet. That's not cosplay.

We've all been in a situation where we did 'Casual' something for one reason or another, but I'm talking about repeat offenders who don't even have a plan to better create a more fitting outfit design or actually make/buy the outfit of the character.

I mean it's not a huge pet peeve, just something that irks me... like 'If you're going to cosplay, why don't you at least wear the characters outfit in the future? :/ I don't want to see 'Street Axel' I want to see AXEL'.

Wigs also tend to bother me if they're neon or badly styled. I've seen some horrible wigs in my day. And I'm not talking 'eh that's a bit off' I'm talking BRIGHT PINK hair in place of red for a character like Hikaru/Kaoru from Ouran Highschool Host Club. And the hair will be flat, no even ATTEMPT to style it. I can tell when a wig has wilted and when it has never been touched... and some people have just never even given it a go.

I'm wondering like... when you look in the mirror are you saying 'Yeah, that could work'... I mean some stuff is just not that hard to fix, I'm just upset people just don't give a go before saying 'I ain't touching that'. And then people spend like 15$ on a NEON WIG from ebay sometimes that is totally wrong for the character!! wtf people?

Oh and people who don't wear wigs and just spray their hair with that hair stuff. I mean sometimes YA HAVE TO DO IT as a last resort but if I see you at teh same con FOR THREE YEARS in the same stuff and it STILL looks unaccurate... well, that's called being lazy :/
KachieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #11784
JJ/Ryojin

My biggest pet peeve is lame, half-assed, stiff-as-hell, unenthuisatic poses. At every con I've been to i've come across cosplayers that just flat out suck at posing for pictures, and when they do try to pose it just comes off as, well.....lame. Heres a list of the worse i've come across.

- There was this one guy dressed as Anakin Skywalker. We did a face-off photo op and all he did was hold his lightsaber like he was watering his lawn.

- I ran into a girl dressed Beatrix Kiddo from Kill Bill. Again, face-off photo op, however she held her sword awkwardly with her elbows out and she looked at the camera with this depressing looking expression that reminded me of the Grim Reaper in The Seventh Seal.

- Theres this guy i've seen a lot at cons who cannot do an action pose to save his life. Whenever he tries to do a action pose all he does is lift up his sword with no enthusiasm or strength behind it. And when majority of the time he just stands there looking like a goober.

- I've seen this guy cosplay as Guy from Final Fight, and everytime he does this half-assed battle pose over, and over, and over, and...you get the idea. The worse thing about the pose is that Guy doesn't even do the pose this cosplayer does.

- I was dressed as Mugen from Samurai Champloo and I ran into a guy dressed as Mugen as well. We did a Mugen vs. Mugen pose but he was in this very awkward cat stance, hunched over, and his sword at his side. It was very very un-Mugen.

There are two major reasons why bad poses are biggest pet peeve:

1) Im in martial arts, and we are trained to have strong, defined, stances. That has carried over into my cosplay. So whenever someone does a weak stance, I go into instructor mode.

2) Photography is one of my interest, and we have make sure that the subjects of the photo look good. A bad pose can ruin a photo IMO.
Gambit (X-Treme X-Men) 50%
Dante (Devil May Cry 4) 30%
JJ/Ryojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #11785
VivaLaNinja

Hmm... This forum got me really thinking...

I personally don't mind the "GLOMP ME PLOX" signs, or the half-assed posing (what if you're costume was really heavy and you couldn't pose right? Just sayin') But, there is ONE thing that bugs the living hell out of me and makes me want to strangle the person who said it:

Making fun of heavy cosplayers.

Oh god, I hate this subject, but, I have to bring it up.

I, myself, am not a size 2 or 4 or whatever (no offense to anyone who is) but, I CANNOT STAND IT when I over hear guys and girls diss cosplayers because of their weight. My god. I have to tell you, there is a couple of heavier cosplay girls on here that I really look up to. But, one day while I was going through some cosplay forums, I saw one up for "Good Cosplay, Bad Cosplay."

Now. That should have been the first warning flag for me, but, I wanted to see what they had, none the less. I clicked it and looked. And, of course, there were heavy GOOD cosplayers on the bad side and (no offense, once again) this skinnier girl who looked as if more than half of her face was photoshopped on, on the good side. Was I pissed? Oh, more than ever.

]:<<<

Last edited by VivaLaNinja : 09-16-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: messed up
VivaLaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #11786
Kazephyr
Shapeshifter

I've said it before, I'll say it again: deadlines.

Other than that... weird suspenders... and weird buttons. o_0;;
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #11787
kachie_1

I agree with the above. There's nothing more evil when it comes to cosplay than deadlines. D:

..Actually, that goes for everything really...
kachie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #11788
moonfall

My pet peeve is when something falls apart at the last minute. I've had a ribbon completely unravel and a wig ruined while at the convention. I always bring glue, scissors, needle, thread, and velcro for cosplay emergencies.

Also, sometimes you just can't get something to look right when you put it one (my problem is wigs due to my long hair). I'm a perfectionist about my costumes, and I get cranky when I think I look bad.
Raine Sage (Tales of Symphonia)
Grell Sutcliff (Kuroshitsuji, butler outfit)
Rose Bride Utena (Revolutionary Girl Utena, need new wig)
Twilight Sparkle's Gala Dress (My Little Pony: FiM)
moonfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #11789
Itachi/Lfanatic
Needs Moar CHEEZEBURGER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
My pet peeve is when something falls apart at the last minute. I've had a ribbon completely unravel and a wig ruined while at the convention. I always bring glue, scissors, needle, thread, and velcro for cosplay emergencies.

Also, sometimes you just can't get something to look right when you put it one (my problem is wigs due to my long hair). I'm a perfectionist about my costumes, and I get cranky when I think I look bad.
Gah! me too! my hair isn't actually too long, but its thicker than Pea Soup. getting it all in there without looking like a Conehead-with-a-wig, but not have it all tucked in my shirt and cheat. Grr.
-Black Parade Girl (My Chemical Romance OC)-100%
-Kaoru Hitachiin(OHSHC)-100%
-Husker Ninja (Nebras'kon mascot)-100% *Retired*
-L (Death Note)-100% *Retired*
Itachi/Lfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #11790
Teh Pocky Ninja
Mythological Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi/Lfanatic View Post
Gah! me too! my hair isn't actually too long, but its thicker than Pea Soup. getting it all in there without looking like a Conehead-with-a-wig, but not have it all tucked in my shirt and cheat. Grr.
Thirded. And my long-ish hair and love of short wigs (about half my planned cosplays) doesn't help.
Teh Pocky Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote