Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
lemuries

leg warmers help request

I would like to make a chocobo keep costume for dragoncon next year.
Reference image:

I found what I think are the texturally-perfect fabrics (had to bleach the golden rod into that canary yellow):

But I am starting to doubt myself on my leggings plan.
Leggings closeup:

My first problem lies in the fact that my leggings material is plainweave linen (no stretch) and leg warmers typically stick to the leg because they stretch into position and hug the leg. My second problem is that linen is not a thick fabric and those legwarmers look thick (like knit-thick or padded-thick).

The second problem could be fixed by making them layered. The first problem is a tad more difficult to overcome. I have seen wool plaid leggings made on the bias so that they clung and stretched a bit, and I thought I could bias-cut the taupe fabric to give it a bit of cling. Also to cut it a bit long so it pools at the ankle like the reference picture.

Where I'm stuck is how to structure the underneath. I'd rather not try to make thigh-bands and hold it up that way, because I fear they will slide down. I was planning on doing knee-bands, because I've held up leggings that way before. The problem is how to get the material to stand up over the knee if the band is under the knee.

I had planned this weird tube design:

but it just feels like I'm not going in the right direction.

Then I'm wondering if I'm just overthinking this, and I should just sew my bias-cut outer fabric to some regular knit legwarmers (rolled to the back so you don't see the inside). But would they stand up over the knee?
---
Anyone out there able to get through all that, follow along, and have a suggestion? The echoes in my own head are really endangering the project. I could use some feedback.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Irarenovo

looks like there are pants under the warmers..

i would just sew them to the pants. or install snaps or velcro to the inside

if you really want to preserve the pants you could even safety pin it on the inside

keep it simple~

if you are not wearing pants for any reason [maybe another npc doesnt have them?] you can use sock glue. or you could make a band of elastic that goes around your knee and tack that to the inside of the legging [use interfacing to keep the top bit up, like a tall collar]
Irarenovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Penlowe

Your current plan is like trying to use oranges to make applesauce.

If your fabric isn't stretchy I would look for a spat or boot cover pattern to use. Trim off the bit that would go over the top of the foot, use good stiff inner facing, and they will look really good in your linen blend fabric.
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
lemuries

Thank you both for replying!

Dragoncon tends to be really hot (Labor Day in Atlanta GA), so I was trying to figure out how to skip as many heat layers as possible, but attaching them to pants (crazily, the real chocobo keep is wearing beige shorts over brown tights above the leggings) would really solve the gravity problem.

I love the idea of incorporating a spats pattern on the actual leggings, too. It gives me all the stability I'll need without the heat retention of knitted/crocheted leg warmers.

Thank you both!
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote