Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #20026
ilafatyu
That guy
 
ilafatyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,014
I will admit that my smile does fade a little when someone tells me they ordered a cosplay off a website, but the person from Example B is clearly fostering some sort of complex derived from their perceived superiority. My prescription for them is to be pushed into a mud puddle by a sneaker-wearing Sasuke cosplayer.

On a less ludicrous note, I guess I define respect differently than you. Your measurement starts at zero. My spectrum has a positive and negative side, with 'zero' being neutrality rather than a complete disregard for their worth as a human being. In my mind, the situation described in B would be, I guess, negative respect, a status gained from willful stupidity or some malevolent act, while the situation described in A (with a punctuation change from exclamation point to period) would be the change from positive respect to neutrality.

God, Ethics class made me into a horrible human being. Sorry this reads like an essay. I've clearly been writing too many of them.
__________________

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #20027
LinkPwnsGanon
Lady Scarlett Cosplay
 
LinkPwnsGanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Not being able to search for patterns/tutorials because you don't know what something is called.
This also bugs me too! And I feel like I bug people every time I ask for help to figure out what it is >.<
__________________

W.I.P:
Aurora 60th anniversary - Disney
Princess Deku - Drifiting by Stars art
Steampunk Ladybug - Miraculous Ladybug
Super Sailor Chibi Moon - Sailor Moon
Female Kylo Ren
LinkPwnsGanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #20028
RydiaValentine
Many talented Lady
 
RydiaValentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 651
Everyone and everything deserves respect, but nobody should be more respected just because they bought their costumes. That has no sense at all. Cosplayers who do their own costumes take a lot of hard work to achieve their goal and, when the result looks great, they are praised for that hard work. They took not only the effort to work to pay for all the materials, but also did the extra hard work of making everything. If a cosplayer who comissions is jealous because they want the compliments that those cosplayers received due to make everything from scratch, then the cosplayer who pays for comissions should be a cosplayer who makes everything from scratch. This will take a lot of years of learning and true love for arts and crafts, but if the cosplayer loves it and is not into it just for the compliments, they will enjoy it.
RydiaValentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #20029
xIkuna
Registered User
 
xIkuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,681
I don't think that people should 'respect' those who commission their cosplay more than those who make it their selves- it should be equal. Nobody in this hobby should look down on another cosplayer because they don't have the same skills. It's not fair, and that translates into elitism, which I know not many people want to be.

That being said, if you ask a person if they made their cosplay, and they say no, that doesn't mean they put no work into it. They could have an amazing wig- a wig that you can't preorder from a website and one that takes a lot of skill to do. They could have an amazingly awesome prop that- again- takes a lot of effort. It's not just about the costume. A lot of things go into a cosplay that can "make up" for the fact they can't sew.

But seriously. Don't look down on anyone, weather they commission/buy/make their costume. It's not cool.
__________________
Upcoming Conventions: Daishocon, Anime Detour, Wizard World Minneapolis, C2E2

Cosplays:
Yennefer- The Witcher 3
Magik (Phoenix Force)- Marvel


xIkuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #20030
pandagilbirds
 
Posts: n/a
This topic is very sensitive. All cosplayers should respect others as they want to be respected. This goes for the photographers and the casual con-goers too. But we don't live in a world of happy narwhals and meadows of flowers.
I'm both buyer and "pull stuff out of the closet and modify it" cosplayer.
It all just comes down to whatever people think. Sure those who actually shed blood and tears are respectable because well, they put that much effort into it. But this does not make the cosplayer who bought the costume any less of a fellow fan. It's a battle between whether the two types of cosplayers are equal or one is better than the other. Ideally, we would say they are equal but in all honest truth it's a whole lot more when they have made the cosplay themselves.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Point is, don't care what you think is bad, just keep it to yourself. I'm not perfect because I do have opinions but guess what, I keep my mouth shut. Many people just don't know how to keep their mouth closed. There is a limit to what is constructive criticism.
Personally, unless they ask for a constructive criticism, it's better to just not say anything. Unless, you say something along the lines of:

"Hi, I really like your (insert name of character) cosplay. Hey, maybe you can try to do this here and it'll look a lot more perfect than it already is!"

Please, it's 2013 and I'm 100% sure con going etiquette forums or anything has been up since long time ago. Actually, just respect itself should have been instilled. Of course, not everyone is like this. Many people in fact are great, respectful con goers, it's that 30% or so.
To the respectful con goers, keep up the great work. To the 30%, not all opinions have to come out of the mouth.
  Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #20031
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing
 
ashe2kawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,760
Peeve:

Ughhhhhh the battle of determining characters costume colors. I spent about an hour staring at 10 reference pictures for Sheryl's top, a mixture of Figma's, cosplayers and original source and still i was stuck. I put my hands up and went with what my eye perceived to be the color which was a blue green or turquoise and a dark blue for the band. The colors are nice and so is the quality, if anyone has a hissy fit about my choice, i no longer careXD
__________________


~Working On~
Maria Posada (The Book of Life)~50%
Yuna Ver. Songstress (FFX-2)~0%
Miku Hatsune (Sweet Devil)~0%
Scanty (PSG/W Garterbelt)~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~75%
Freya (Chobits)~10%

ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #20032
Shana05
Survivor
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,657
Crap! I just missed a Simplicity pattern sale at Joann. I have several patterns I need to buy from them. Now, I have to wait for the next sale. Since I currently don't have classes on Mondays, I completely forgot it was President's Day.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

A-Kon: fem!Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Eleven (Stranger Things) - Spyro gijinka (Spyro the Dragon) - Audrey II (Little Shop of Horrors)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #20033
ilafatyu
That guy
 
ilafatyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Crap! I just missed a Simplicity pattern sale at Joann. I have several patterns I need to buy from them. Now, I have to wait for the next sale. Since I currently don't have classes on Mondays, I completely forgot it was President's Day.
What? Sale? I hope there wasn't one at my local Joann's. D;
__________________

facebook page // nh cosplay events

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Constructing : Soren (Fire Emblem), Fox (RWBY)
Upgrading : Sheik (armor), Cloud (wig and armor)
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #20034
jukebox
made you look.
 
jukebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 639
Price mark-ups on items and materials. Whatever happened to the purpose of online shopping to be to save money?? It's ridiculous when I see local sellers jack up the price of things only to offer it cheaper to buyers from other regions or countries. Even with problems like postal service, it makes the business look unprofessional. There's plenty of other businesses out there that don't force their customers to bite the bullet on costs of delivery by folding it into the price of the product. I'd rather just take the city bus to the big-name craft stores and buy from a reliable and consistent business.
__________________
ain't nobody got time for a forum signature
jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:16 AM   #20035
Kiichigo
Registered User
 
Kiichigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
This. ^

So I should just accept a lack of respect because I can't sew, or because I simply don't have the time too? That's not fair. When it comes to sewing, my hands are basically cinder-blocks attached to my wrists. I have tried to sew before, I really have. And it turned out so horrid I burned what I made and never looked back. Does that mean I deserve less respect as a cosplayer? :/

Basically if you make a costume you get respect for the costume.
And if you buy it you'll still get respect for being a cosplayer, you just won't get the respect that goes with making the costume. But you still get respect for being a cosplayer, which in itself is pretty awesome
__________________
Currently planning/working on:
Supergirl (Adam Hughes ver.)
Babydoll (Sucker Punch)
Kiichigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #20036
foxyv17
Registered User
 
foxyv17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
My friend and i have a game when ever we go to conventions we look for skanky pokemon..
__________________
Agito wanijima-air gear= Finished
Grell Sutcliff-Black butler= Finished
Kurama-Yu yu hakusho=30%
Ritsuka-Loveless= Finished
Boris Airay- Alice in the country of hearts= 30%
Tatsumi Souchi-Koisuru Boukun= 80%
Maybe~♥
Agito(wedding dress) -Air gear= 65%
Yoko kurama-YYH
foxyv17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #20037
Amanita
Registered User
 
Amanita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,557
^lol. To me, there's a world of difference between cosplaying a character who's supposed to be sexy, and taking a non sexual character and sexualizing it. When you take a sweet, innocent, or childlike character and turn it into something that looks like it should be spinning around a pole, it just looks kinda...wrong.
I've been seeing a lot of sexualized Star Wars characters around lately, and most of them sorta bug me on some level. Like lingerie Darth Vader. Seriously- somebody in black lingerie and a Vader helmet. Or somebody wearing what looked like a teddy with white armor plates and a Stormtrooper helmet. Or a highly sexualized Boba Fett, posing in a manner more befitting a Playboy model than a bounty hunter.
To me, those come across as kind of disrespectful to the original character- turning it into something sexual, even if it completely contradicts the purpose or personality of the character.

Now, if there's evidence of more thought process behind something than making it skimpy just for the sake of being skimpy- for example, a group of ladies spoofing the Rockettes, or doing the Star Wars version of a USO girl, that's a little different.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #20038
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL
 
ToroSonyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
^lol. To me, there's a world of difference between cosplaying a character who's supposed to be sexy, and taking a non sexual character and sexualizing it. When you take a sweet, innocent, or childlike character and turn it into something that looks like it should be spinning around a pole, it just looks kinda...wrong.
I've been seeing a lot of sexualized Star Wars characters around lately, and most of them sorta bug me on some level. Like lingerie Darth Vader. Seriously- somebody in black lingerie and a Vader helmet. Or somebody wearing what looked like a teddy with white armor plates and a Stormtrooper helmet. Or a highly sexualized Boba Fett, posing in a manner more befitting a Playboy model than a bounty hunter.
To me, those come across as kind of disrespectful to the original character- turning it into something sexual, even if it completely contradicts the purpose or personality of the character.

Now, if there's evidence of more thought process behind something than making it skimpy just for the sake of being skimpy- for example, a group of ladies spoofing the Rockettes, or doing the Star Wars version of a USO girl, that's a little different.
This one always tends to bug me too. And when people think that genderbending a character just means making it as skimpy as possible and giving them long hair without ANY thought towards the character...
__________________
Working On:

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #20039
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!
 
Tak-kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiichigo View Post
Basically if you make a costume you get respect for the costume.
And if you buy it you'll still get respect for being a cosplayer, you just won't get the respect that goes with making the costume. But you still get respect for being a cosplayer, which in itself is pretty awesome
So I get less respect because I'm not good with my hands and simply don't have the time to make a costume, because I'm too busy actually doing things outside my hobby? :/

Maybe it's the word "respect" being used that's really irking me. I know handmaking a costume entails a huge time and money commitment, and I give high praise to people that handmake their costumes, don't get me wrong. But giving them more respect over someone who simply isn't capable of making their own just seems wrong. That's like saying "Oh, you make 2k more than this guy does in a year, therefore you get more respect than he does". We're all human and should all be given the same level of respect, unless something severe is done to lose that respect, or something amazing is done to gain more respect. I don't think someone who's gone to a convention in a handmade costume for 5 years in a row deserves more respect than someone who's gone to the same convention for 5 years with a commissioned/bought/etc. costume. I think the person that handmade their costume deserves more praise, surely, and probably more recognition for their feats but not more respect. I just feel that everyone should get the same level of respect, unless they like, saved a kid from a burning building (+respect!) or backstabbed their best friend (-respect!). Maybe that's just me.
__________________
Current Cosplays:
Ash Ketchum 1st season - Pokemon

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #20040
Padmik
mikky
 
Padmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
Having nothing to work on.
This. I have my entire list planned out for the year, and I'm itching to work on my cosplays now, but I have no money nor time right now. I'm gonna start job searching again once test week goes by.

And my numero pet peeve atm is people constantly bashing cosplay videographers for trying something new in their videos. I'm so tired of seeing the most popular comment being someone constantly nagging about the singing and dancing and anything that's not in a costume. It's like, geez, if you don't like it, go do it yourself. And then they claim it's constructive criticism.

Just a big level of sigh.
__________________

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

2017 Conventions
Wondercon, SWCO, Megacon, DragonCon

WIP Cosplays
Belle (town dress) - BatB 60% | Elizabeth - Bioshock Infinite 15% | Ana Amari (captain) - Overwatch 15% | Padme Amidala (lake dress) - Star Wars 0% | Padme Amidala (Naboo Pilot) - Star Wars 0%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Copyright 2002-2018 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.