Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 11-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Have you ever ruined your costumes?

I was ironing my Miki cosplay shorts when the new iron I bought melted them making a small hole so I had to replace the damaged piece

Has something like this ever happened to you?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Scunosi

Can't say I've ever ruined a finished piece. In-progress stuff that hasn't worked out, sure, like my original Model Magic Papyrus head that just wasn't working at all. But that was typically stuff where the material just didn't work like I thought it did and I intentionally trashed it after realizing it was unsalvageable.

I suppose I have had things fall off of finished cosplays, again usually due to me not fully understanding how to use a material and attaching it incorrectly, but it was always small details that were very easy to replace or do without, stuff most people may not even notice, not whole panels of fabric.

Once I finish something I'm usually pretty delicate with it, and especially with ironing I always use a press cloth for extra security.

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Shy Gal (Nintendo Fan Design)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #3
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

I've broken several props over the years, both just by using them and by being dumb (for instance, spinning around my void sword like a baton, then dropping it right on one of its many weak sots). As per clothing, I've had things turn out where I wanted to trash them and start all over, but have never actually ruined any. I did wash my military FMA outfit and it messed up the roping and badges a fair bit though.
Xe Yui/Lord Grim - The King's Avatar (Katsucon 2018)
All Might - My Hero Academia (Katsucon 2018)
Goku (Ultra Instinct) - Dragon Ball Super (Katsucon 2018)
Possibly? Male!Megumin - KonoSuba (Katsucon 2018)

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplayers Group (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

oh yea..I have a problem where this crap seems to happen all the time..
There are 2 main things that happen. Either I screwed up the sewing and didn't notice until after 90% of it is finished. At that point I realize I sewed parts the wrong way or something. Completely ruining the entire cosplay, wasting tons of money, and losing my will to cosplay all together with how often it happens.

The other one also steals my will to cosplay. A lot of cosplays I've had, I have spilled things on that are not able to be washed off and even when washed, will have a stain that is inmpossible to get out.
-Created Character [SAO Hollow Realization]
-Cloud [Dissidia Final Fantasy]
-Red [Pokemon Fire Red]
-Gohan [DBZ]
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Respawning

I had my black widow gun broken on me. My brother-in-law went to look at it and kinda swiped it out of my hands, breaking part of the barrel.

Completed costumes:Commander Shepard, Steampunk Valkyrie OC, Tiefling Sorcerer OC, Morrigan, Thor, Daenerys Targaryen, Steampunk OC
Future costumes: Aloy, Maleficent, Satyr/Faun OC, Galadriel
Working on: Ciri Witcher 3

Instagram, Facebook, Facebook Group
Respawning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
lunaflora

cut into the main body of a silk charmeuse bias gown I was working on, trying to snip the point of the V neckline without checking to see if there was fabric behind it...
lunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've broken props before, and had some armour pieces get alarming cracks while being worn, but nothign straight-up ruined. Closest thing I guess would be my old Rainbow Dash cosplay. I secured my wings directly to my shirt with velcro. Wings were light but the shirt was a cheap knit, soooo it slowly stretched worse and worse over the two times I wore it until I had to just concede "nnnnope, it's done" and retire it. But I'd only intended to wear it 3 or so times anyway and had kept it cheap as a result, so I wasn't too broken up about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
Elycium

I once accidentally melted a ruffle I was going to sew onto a cosplay, when I ironed it without checking the settings. But never a whole costume, at least not by my hand. I've had a costume ruined by someone else though, who didn't seal their body paint, and didn't watch where they were going. I was never able to get the orange paint off, and I'm still salty about it.

Planned 2018 New Cosplays: Percy de Rolo (Critical Role) / Cassandra Cillian (The Librarians) / Inquisitor Lavellan (Dragon Age Inquisition) / Keith (Voltron Legendary Defender
Elycium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

My Tifa skirt was one of the first things I made for Cosplay. I didn't really know what I was doing. All I did for the hem was fold once and sew. I washed it and it started fraying. The second time I washed it both the hem and the waist line were toast. I now always do rolled hems. Even for the cheap costumes for parades.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

Technically...yes and no? I had purchased a pair of thigh high boots to make my Rin boots, and I had made her knee pads and customized the soles of the boots and added the cap toe design over the toe part. They held up fine at the con, but they were not...the best xD.
I had taken everything off after the con, because I had wanted to wear them by themselves because I actually liked them but it looks like the glue I used ate at the pleather/faux leather and the glue is still reminiscent on the soles.
The boots themselves are still in good condition so I'd like to customize them to be able to wear again whether in cosplay or every day wear.

Future plans:
Blue Angel/Aoi Zaizen, Yugioh Vrains

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram / CureCos

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #11
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

I've mainly have ruined props. Playing with a dollar tree gun by showing how fake looking it was and broke the barrel clean off. It's was mostly me complaining to my friends that the con at the last minute, and not updating their rules online, banned all weapons even fake ones. Props were banned if they weren't like magical girl wands, even if they were clearly fake.

I also broke my hobby horse for my Alice Madness Returns costume. I had it propped up against a wall since I was sitting at the con, and it slid and smashed the inside. It's made out of paper mache and floral foam. It also has a decent sized gash in it from accidentally bumping into something pretty hard.

The only other things I've ruined is I've had tops shrink on me in the wash. Thought I had taken care of it by prewashing the fabric, but nope it shrunk more. So y'know that's always fun. :')

What I'm working on:
(New) Mina Ashido (RPG) - My Hero Academia
(New) Shy Makishima - Marginal #4
(New) Haruka Tenoh (Cafe) - Sailor Moon
(New) Keito Hasumi (Dead Man's) - Ensemble Stars
(New-Maybe) Yoshiko Tsushima (Valentine's Day) Love Live!
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote