Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
shiningdialga

Best way to create cybernetic arms?

Hi all, I a relatively new cosplayer (mid-20s, female), and I'm looking to undertake a new project for my next convention. I'm looking to do a female Adam Jensen, and I'm currently devising a way to design and execute his cybernetic arms, especially since they are so detailed. The following ideas have come to mind:

*3D printing them, perhaps in two halves that attach over the arm, or in pieces that could somehow attach to a sleeve. Costly, but probably the most detailed.
*Molding them from foam or another crafting material, and laying them over a sleeve. Probably cheaper, but more difficult, and I have limited crafting skills...

Is there an ideal way to execute this idea? I would ideally like it to be relatively detailed, perhaps able to accommodate working retractable blades (I could wire those myself), but something that isn't over-the-top expensive. I can spare a couple hundred dollars or so, be it for materials or commission.

Any help would be appreciated! Please understand if I sound like a newbie... because I am. I have never built my own costume before, so this is brand new to me.
shiningdialga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

Welcome, shiningdialga!

First off, could you post a reference photo of the arms? I'm not familiar with the game and a quick google search gave me a handful of varying images that weren't super helpful.

That said, what I did gather is that both of the arm parts go all the way up to the shoulder, and have a number of smaller, form-fitting pieces. Correct?

I'd recommend foam for the vast majority of this, because it's cheap and flexible. That's the one thing with 3D prints-- most of the typical print materials (PLA, ABS) have 0 flex to them and that's gonna severely restrict your ability to move your arms. Trying to get that curve just perfect to fit around your arm is a really daunting task, unless you've got really precise measurements of your arm to start from or something like a 3D scan of yourself.

Also, do you have 3D modeling experience yourself, or know a place to get the files? Do you have access to a 3D printer yourself? If you end up paying someone to model the parts for you and print, it's gonna be way more expensive than foam. Modeling is also gonna be most of your cost, but if you've got the skills to do that part yourself, you can send it out to a company like Shapeways or other print shops for relatively cheap (but obviously more parts = more material = more $$).

Personally, I'd make the majority of it out of foam (particularly the flatter parts that curve around the arm), and maybe 3D print a couple of the complicated parts and glue them on top before I do the final sealant and paint job.

Best of luck!
  • Summer Shujin Akira (Persona 5): 90% (Final Touches) Otakon 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
CFHinLA

As Cass said, a picture is super helpful. You will likely end up with s hybrid of foam and 3D printed + embellishments sourced from other things. It can be WAY cheaper to buy toy guns or even model kits and steal parts for your build than to have something printed.
Specializing in high quality wood weapons and props
CFHinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
shiningdialga

Sorry for taking so long, work's been busy! Anyway, here are some pictures of it drawn, rendered, and a 3D model:

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...path-prefix=en

I'm obviously going to thin out the proportions to make it a female arm, especially in the shoulder and upper arm, but I'd like to maintain the corded "muscle" present in it, especially since this is such a recognizable feature of Adam's cybernetic arms. If possible, I'd also like to give it a heavy sheen if possible to make it appear metallic, since I may be able to get the combat vest designed with actual metal pieces (luckily have a neighbor who does metal working).
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
CFHinLA

Not gonna lie to you, that is a monumental task you have set for yourself and you need BOTH arms? I'd make it a spandex sleeve with 4mm EVA covered in Worbla. The big pic looks like it is make from plastic slip covers and black edge piping. If you can sew, that might be a much more cost effective and comfortable way of attaching it.

Here is a carbon fiber lookalike spandex. You could use either pillow batting or carve insulation foam but the batting will be more comfortable to wear.
https://www.fabric.com/buy/0395289/telio-mod-stretch-mesh-black?CAWELAID=172000510000630087&cm_mmc=google-_-Google+Shopping-_-GS_fabric-_-_mkwid|sFg6nr8PI|pcrid|46683858482|pkw||pmt||pdv|c |&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+ Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sFg6nr8PI|pcri d|46683858482|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qbLBRB7EiwAftBCI1CBOcnsr2oGiiI_HMJQBfxzcX4wFUD8Qai _xyXEU56nodmAiBd_MhoCdM0QAvD_BwE
Specializing in high quality wood weapons and props
CFHinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
shiningdialga

I figure it would be pretty tough... I'm honestly not looking to make it perfect, just mainly to get the structure correct. Luckily the cords at the shoulder are layered, so I could probably sew them each separately and then sew them together and lay them over correctly. I'll keep that fabric in mind, thank you.
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
StarsOfCassiopeia
Engineer at Play

If you do it with foam or fabric, you could easily get some thicker cording (look at paracord maybe?) and stitch it down to your base.
  • Summer Shujin Akira (Persona 5): 90% (Final Touches) Otakon 2017
  • Director Lucretia (The Adventure Zone) : 15% (Prop Work) Summer 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #8
Sugar.Code
D'Arvit!

Oh man, I clicked on this hoping someone was making Adam. You're awesome. Anyway, I don't have any personal advice, but I do follow a girl on instagram that's also making a female Adam Jensen, Mankind Divided version, and she's got some work in progress pictures that may be useful to you. Here's her page: https://www.instagram.com/link_avatar/

F! Ardyn Izunia - Final Fantasy XV - Done!

Logix Fiscario - Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky

Meruru Rede Arls - Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland
Sugar.Code is offline   Reply With Quote