Inventory Blowout! Professional quality cosplay wigs 30-40% off with shipping included - Click Here for details

Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #271
LunaSquee

I live in south Florida and have been to two home depots and a lowes so far, and NO rigid insulation foam to be found. The people that worked there looked at me like i had a second head or something. All they had was the pink roll of insulation, or sheets of styrofoam.. Is this region-specific? I seriously cannot find it anywhere in South Florida. Im assuming buying it online is going to cost a fortune to ship. so disappointed, got my foam cutter and was all ready to go. Where do i find it in south fl?
LunaSquee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #272
robert-heck

@LunaSquee I don't live in Florida but you can use the Styrofoam sheets, with a hot knife, bladed knives, and even with a Dremel sander bit I've had great results. I'm sure more tools can be used but that's all I've personally used thus far on it.

Another alternative is the expanding foam in a can, I don't know if they have that there but if they do they'll likely have a display showing how much foam each brand gives out of a can. This is nice as it also allows for more customized shapes without having to stack sheets of foam.
FFXIV White Mage AF Armor: 0%

My Blog]
robert-heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #273
LunaSquee

I ended up buying from Lowes online, extruded polystyrene sheet, 1/2" x4'x8' to pick up in store. Have to wait about half a month for it to be in store though. No stores carried it at Lowes or Home depot in like a 90 mile radius. Also, one place had the sheet, said expanded polystyrene sheet, another said extruded polystyrene sheet. whats the difference? Could they both be used?

EDIT: Ok, Lowes cancelled my order, without telling me. Apparently even though u can buy one piece online for store pickup, the vendor wont sell less than 10 at time. Luckily I'm going to Sarasota next weekend and there are stores there that carry it. Still no lowes or home depot stores in south fl that carry it.

Last edited by LunaSquee : 02-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
LunaSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #274
ForeverrCaitlin

I went to Lowes here in CA (bay area) and they did NOT have pink/blue insulation foam. I went to Home Depot and they DO have it they're HUGE sheets (maybe like 8ftx4ft) of pinkish/purple foam, fairly cheap too, only cost about 16 bucks. I wonder why they sell it some places and not others, guess its a regional thing?
ForeverrCaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #275
Undertaker^^
Wendigo

Hey Thanks for the heads-up with all that stuff, i was possibly gonna need to buy some foam and etc for creating my scythe.
Unread 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #276
.:Izumi:.

I'm making the transformed tessaiga out of insulation foam. All was going really well until I painted it. The foam has these little crevices that REALLY annoy me. I painted over it again and again thinking that it will be fixed but it doesn't. Is it okay if I put gesso on over it and then try to paint it again? I don't want to sand it to much because there are already some small chips on the edges and I don't want to accidently break it
.:Izumi:. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #277
robert-heck

@.:Izumi:.

- I've used paper mache over my foam work (newspaper or pulp doesn't matter).
- I haven't tried bondo yet but it is on my list of things to try. It melts the foam but supposedly not fast enough for it to completely lose shape. (I don't doubt the person who said this, I Just haven't seen it first hand to know how much it does or doesn't melt)
- Another option I read about is vinyl based paint. I haven't tested it but from the pictures it looks like an option at least as a layer between the foam and bondo.

Sorry my suggestions aren't all with first hand knowledge but they are on my list of tests to run once I have some spare cash so I figure they might help you out. Also the reason I mention these over gesso is well because gesso in my experience is very weak, even with cloth support layers I wasn't happy with the strength of it. But that's me it might be enough for you.
FFXIV White Mage AF Armor: 0%

My Blog]
robert-heck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #278
Aesceus
Local Moose Friend

A lot of the links are broken, but for Caandian stores, Kent sells the foam, as well. However, we went across the street to Home Hardware for it because Kent's wasn't in the cleanest/nicest condition since it was kept outside.

Does Bondo dry clear? Would it be more practical to paint, then Bondo if it does?

Hal-Con 2015:
Loki: AOA - 0%
Gambit (MUA2) - 10%
Aesceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #279
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

My boyfriend had the same issue as many here: he walked into a Lowe's and asked for "pink or blue insulation foam," and the employee looked at him with a bewildered look on his face.

"Pink or blue insulation foam" is somewhat un-specific, so it may help to be able to provide more information for these materials when the employees don't know the products in their own stores.

The blue stuff is rigid extruded polystyrene insulation foam board made by the Dow Chemical Corporation. Dow owns the trademark on the word "Styrofoam," and markets many sub-types specific to particular uses. The link above lists them all, for those who are curious.

The pink stuff is rigid extruded polystyrene insulation foam board made by Ownes Corning. Owens Corning markets their products under the trademark "Foamular." Their website provides a guide to their many sub-types that are marketed for particular uses.

Both Dow and Owens Corning manufacture insulation foam in different densities, and with different properties. I haven't bothered to really investigate whether one particular density is more useful for prop-building purposes than another; someone else may be able to weigh in on this.

When straight up asking doesn't work, print out a few of these pages and hand them to the store employee and say "This is what I am looking for."

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #280
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesceus View Post
Does Bondo dry clear? Would it be more practical to paint, then Bondo if it does?
Bondo is a 2-part putty that, when activated, is a bit like a terra-cotta clay. It dries to a reddish-brown color.

I'm not sure I would try to use it as a coating over an entire prop, or at least anything larger than about the size of my hand. Its original intention is for filling dents in automotive bodies. It's not particularly flexible when it dries, and will likely chip or flake if the structure beneath it flexes much. Also, it is very thick - it's not something you can just paint on to a surface. It would be like trying to cover your entire prop in clay, which adds considerably to weight. Bondo would be a good substitute for spackling, for filling dents or digs in the surface of foam.

As with the surface of the foam itself, anything that has been Bondo'd should be primed first (Gesso is fine) prior to painting, particularly any light-colored paint.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #281
Mattias
Cosplay Noob

I've covered my prop in about three layers of latex primer and the sanded areas are extremely rough, like sandpaper. If I poured on the resin, would the texture show through?

Also, how should I apply the resin to the entire surface area? Should I try to do it in one go or coat the top, wait for it to cure, then coat the bottom?
Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #282
SharpieItBlack
Tattoo & Cosplay Addict

How durable would a weapon/blade/battleaxe be if made from this stuff. I'm debating what to make a battleaxe from. Either this or the expanding foam.
Now obviously I won't be killing with it but for photoshoots and possible performances at cons (if a con has a performance contest), I want it to be durable enough to hit something and not fall apart, but not hit with deadly force but hit with some force behind it.